MB-D10 grip review

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

MB-D10 grip review

Postby Richard Peters on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:12 am

Hey all. I know it's been about for a while but I only recently picked up a D300 with grip as backup to my D3. I was so impressed with the little fella I decided to write a review of it for all you D300 and D700 owners who are thikning about the grip :D

MB-D10 review

Hope those thinking of picking one up find it of use!
Richard Peters

Re: MB-D10 grip review

Postby team piggy on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:30 am

NIce review.

I am a hi speed shooter (Motorsports) and was using the AA option in the grip, With a decent set of (Powerex) AA's I was getting reguarly 2000-2300 shots from the grip batteries alone :D
Minor chimping along the way.

Lately though I have noticed the batteries seem to only last a short time (100 shots or less) not due to batteries, but more the grip has little plastic "holders" on the AA insert. These seem to be somehow effecting the contact of the batteries, meaning a slight bump renders the contacts between them incomplete. :cry:
Took me a while to figure it out, you have to remove the insert, roll the batteries with your thumb to get it going again for maybe another 40 shots ! Painful.

Only option I can see is to pack out the batteries with a small piece of conductive material.

Or go the mega $$ EN EL4a route and carry two chargers etc.

Just my feedback (And this happens on both MBD10's I have) all batteries have been checked and all are at industry standards in length.
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:35 am

team piggy wrote:Lately though I have noticed the batteries seem to only last a short time (100 shots or less) not due to batteries, but more the grip has little plastic "holders" on the AA insert.

Could this perhaps be an issue with one (or more) of the metal contacts at the end of each of the battery slots? I have found that, in other devices, the spring contacts become slightly compressed, which leads to this sort of symptom.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby wojtek on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:22 pm

Having recently picked up a D300 I have been eyeing off the MB-D10... just finding it hard to justify the price over something like the E-Bay jobbies available for $120. Is the premium really worth it?
wojtek

Postby aim54x on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Great review Peter! I dont use the EN-EL4/a in my grip, but the AA's have come in handy for when I feel the need for speed.

wojtek wrote:Having recently picked up a D300 I have been eyeing off the MB-D10... just finding it hard to justify the price over something like the E-Bay jobbies available for $120. Is the premium really worth it?

Only you can decide that for yourself. I'll just seed a question for you, is it worth buying twice? a member had problems with their ebay Mb-D200 and eventually bought a original Nikon part out of frustration. I bought mine from BH in the states and have never looked back.

Congrats on the D300 purchase though.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby MATT on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:12 pm

wojtek wrote:Having recently picked up a D300 I have been eyeing off the MB-D10... just finding it hard to justify the price over something like the E-Bay jobbies available for $120. Is the premium really worth it?

I have a Poon mb-d10 that I got for my D300 and is now on my D700. I jumped at when he first released them as such it is very plasticy.. The newer ones look a better knock off than the one I have.

It has been floorless until recently. It seems to come loose all the time and the big wheel you turn to tighten it seems to be slightly stripped. Remember this is one of the early ones and the new ones look more like the original.

It has never missed a beat though.

Would I buy it again.. Hmm maybe. Most likely I would keep an eye out for a second hand original for around $250. But they don't seem to come up very often.

BUt I do like the ability to charge the one I have from the car straight into the grip to charge the battery.

MATT
MATT

Postby wojtek on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:27 pm

MATT wrote: I have a Poon mb-d10 that I got for my D300 and is now on my D700. I jumped at when he first released them as such it is very plasticy.. The newer ones look a better knock off than the one I have.

It has been floorless until recently. It seems to come loose all the time and the big wheel you turn to tighten it seems to be slightly stripped. Remember this is one of the early ones and the new ones look more like the original.

It has never missed a beat though.

Hi Matt,

Would you trust the tripod mount on the Poon one ?
I'm keen to try my hand at timelapse and tossing up between the following
a) Ebay MB-D10
b) Nikon MB-D10
c) AC Adapter

aim54x wrote:I'll just seed a question for you, is it worth buying twice?

Don't worry that question has been knocking around for a while, hence ive been investigating the quality of the knockoffs. In the past I've bought cheap and probably 1 in 2 i buy again at full price because undoubtably the QA process isnt there.

I'm in no hurry so perhaps hunting for a s/h Nikon one is the best option.
wojtek

Postby MATT on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:39 pm

wojtek wrote:Would you trust the tripod mount on the Poon one ?
I'm keen to try my hand at timelapse and tossing up between the following
a) Ebay MB-D10
b) Nikon MB-D10
c) AC Adapter

Trust.... Yeah its ok.Still feels a little plasticky I've had the D700 and a 24-70 hanging off it. Bigger I Use the lens foot. As long as the bolt is tight it should be right. Whats an A/c adapter worth?? May be its cheaper to get the Ebay one and the AC adapter rather than the Nikon Version?? I can vouch for the Nikon MB-D10 mounted as I have not had one.. BUt it mounts the same way.

MATT
MATT

Postby chrisk on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:57 pm

team piggy wrote:Lately though I have noticed the batteries seem to only last a short time (100 shots or less) not due to batteries, but more the grip has little plastic "holders" on the AA insert. These seem to be somehow effecting the contact of the batteries, meaning a slight bump renders the contacts between them incomplete. :cry:
Took me a while to figure it out, you have to remove the insert, roll the batteries with your thumb to get it going again for maybe another 40 shots ! Painful.

when you say lately, do you mean that it used to be ok ? mine works fine with AA's FWIW.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby team piggy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:43 pm

HI All. Sorry been away in Melbourne.. Sans baggage thanks to the fairy baggage handlers at qantas.. Nothing like living with just the clothes on your back, a flat Laptop and flat mobile phone....

Gary.
Yes, I feel it is an issue with the terminals, whether "compressed" or perhaps maybe just on the verge of not long enough (from compression?) and the plastic moulding between them is now the issue. Need to get the vernier out and do some testing.

Rooz
Yes, a new issue, been happening for about 4 months, havent been shooting enough to bother hunting it dwn till recently, predicted batteries had died, but not to be. Ran them thru the Powerex MAHA charger and they were all 100% on the analysis mode.

Wojtek
I have been where you are. Bought the cheaper stuff on numerous times, and yes, whilst it worked it was great.
But then let me down in the middle of important shoots... :roll:
Now I ONLY buy Genuine, and have had no issues (apart from this one with the MB-D10). Which I suspect could be undersize batteries or compressed terminals from using longer than standard rechargeable batteries?

I have had the issue on shop AA's too, so still to run some tests. My other MB-D10 is perfect, no issues whatsover.

Myself, i would spend the money on the genuine stuff.
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Postby big pix on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:03 pm

been using the Nikon battery grip for over 14 months on the D300 & 6 months on D700 with no problems..... battery wise I use the Nikon EN-EL4A Battery which gives me more shots per outing than I ever need.... yes I have a spare battery, which is in my spare camera body D2Xs
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:56 pm

team piggy wrote:HI All. Sorry been away in Melbourne..

I'm sorry. :)

a flat Laptop and flat mobile phone....

You should have called in to a service station and pumped them up.

Myself, i would spend the money on the genuine stuff.

One other point that might be worth considering is that some of the TP grips come with pre-installed batteries. I would imagine that these might have soldered terminals, and thus the issue that you're seeing might not present.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Nikon