Nikon D60 viewfinder query?????

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikon D60 viewfinder query?????

Postby kellsy on Mon May 11, 2009 7:13 pm

Hi i am ummming and ahhhing about my first DSLR, now it is either going to be a Canon 1000D or the Nikon D60, but, i am new to this and was simply wondering if i buy the Nikon will i always have to look through the viewfinder or will the image appear on the LCD while i am taking the picture?, i find it hard to believe that that is the way it is...... I understand the Canon has the "liveview" technology, and am just wanting some useful information if anyone has any, feedback would be appreciated as i intend to buy the camera this week, thanks, Mark..... Oh and buy the way was wondering the best place to purchase im from Melbourne and was going to go to Ted's Camera House ......
kellsy

Re: Nikon D60 viewfinder query?????

Postby chrisk on Mon May 11, 2009 7:35 pm

mark, live view on dslr is terrible. if you are going to shoot dslr you will need to learn how to look thru the viewfinder. i think sony and olympus have almost got it right but canon and nikon's system is for stationary objects only.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby gstark on Mon May 11, 2009 7:58 pm

What is your specific objection to using an optical viewfinder?

What lenses are you considering purchasing?

And what sort of subjects do you envisage shooting?

While many cameras offer "live view" technology, it's still very much in its infancy. I suspect that it's not going to be a truly viable technology for another three years or so.

At the moment it's slow, unresponsive, and tedious in use. By way of comparison, optical is lightning fast, usually brighter, and far easier to use. The only time where live view beats optical is when you want to use the camera away from your eye, but good technique and a wide angle lens usually helps to overcome that issue.

But regardless of any of that, let's try to understand what you'll be shooting and what your experiences are, so that we can better advise you.

For buying in Melbourne, I'd probably suggest Camera Exchange.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kellsy on Tue May 12, 2009 12:09 am

Thanks for the info gstark, the objection was that i am so used to looking on the back of the LCD screen on the digital camera when taking photo's im not to sure how long it will take me to adjust to looking through the viewfinder, as i wear glasses most of the time im wondering how difficult it would be. For now im sure the standard Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR zoom lens will do whilst im learning the in's and out's. A trip around Oz is planned for August, and would like to take landscapes as well as, well, everything else i guess!. Thanks again for the help. Mark.
kellsy

Postby gstark on Tue May 12, 2009 9:19 am

Hi Mark,

kellsy wrote:Thanks for the info gstark, the objection was that i am so used to looking on the back of the LCD screen on the digital camera when taking photo's im not to sure how long it will take me to adjust to looking through the viewfinder, as i wear glasses most of the time im wondering how difficult it would be.

Interesting question.

The use of the LCD as a viewfinder is actually very new technology. I've been using an optical viewfinder for around 40 years now with no issues.

That's with spectacles, and/or contact lenses, too. Many cameras have adjustable eyepieces as well; this should not really be an issue.

More people have issues with being left-eyed (cameras are designed for those who are right-eyed), and of course there are those of us who also keep both eyes open at the viewfinder most of the time as well.

I don't think this should be an issue.

For now im sure the standard Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR zoom lens will do whilst im learning the in's and out's. A trip around Oz is planned for August, and would like to take landscapes as well as, well, everything else i guess!. Thanks again for the help. Mark.

Ok, great. You may want to try to see if you can grab a two lens kit, adding the 55-200 into the kit as well. it's not an expensive lens, and for your intedned trip you will find the extra reach very helpful.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Tue May 12, 2009 10:25 am

I would go with a sony A300/350 if you need liveView, there really is not any other camera that does the system justice. That aside I think the D60 would be a fine choice for a learners camera, I miss my D40x (D60 predecessor) a lot and am considering picking up a D40x/60 with a 18-135mm lens and going back to basics.

That aside, the 18-55VR and the 55-200VR make a VERY GOOD kit, both lenses providing very good optical quality. If you are in melbourne also have a look at digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby kellsy on Tue May 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Once again thanks gstark, i will keep all of that in mind when purchasing, cheers........
kellsy

Postby kellsy on Tue May 12, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks aim54x for the link and the info, good luck. Mark.
kellsy

Postby biggerry on Tue May 12, 2009 11:38 pm

i am so used to looking on the back of the LCD screen on the digital camera when taking photo's im not to sure how long it will take me to adjust to looking through the viewfinder

I had the same dilemma when I moved from my point and shoot to the the D80, i thought 'what no live view, thats crap' and this was in the days when there was only one DSLR out there that had liveview and it was not on my list.

In regards to the time it takes to adjust, I actually found it quite difficult, i was so used to holding the camera at arms length (in any direction) to get the frame i wanted - to transform from that to having it glued to my face was 180 degree about face. In terms of time, it took me months and months to get used to using the view finder, even things like looking at the status bar in the viewfinder was hard work. I actually found in the first six months of owning my D80 i took worse composed shots than on the point and shoot.

With that said, it became increasingly obvious the benefits of the viewfinder as the months past, and now, with the option of liveview out there I would choose the viewfinder over the liveview (if I had it) in 99% of the time.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Wed May 13, 2009 12:29 am

Interesting experience Gerry, I have not experienced that.

I guess the fact that I learnt on film SLR meant I did not have any issues with the viewfinder. I actually found that I liked using the viewfinder on my Kodak CX7430 during the years when I was in the woods. I do however use the LCD on my Fuji F100fd. I dont really use the LiveView function on my D300 but I did use it on the Sony A350 when I had one loaned to me.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Ant on Thu May 14, 2009 6:01 pm

Mark,

You have avoided the comments about no meaningful location (which is pretty well done) but if you add one we may be able to find someone in Melbourne who could walk you through using the VF (especially with glasses). I am in the same position, but I have come from a film SLR so was used to it.

Ant.
D90 | D50 | Tamron 17-50 2.8| AF-S 18-55 DX (and VR) | Sigma 70 - 300 APO DG | 50mm 1.8 | SB-600
Ant

Return to Nikon