How to stop SB-800 going into standby when used as a remote?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

How to stop SB-800 going into standby when used as a remote?

Postby leek on Sun May 17, 2009 7:35 pm

Does anyone know how to stop the SB-800 going into standby mode when it's being used as a remote flash??? I'm using the SB-800 on a lighting stand - triggered by the commander unit from the R1C1 kit.

There seem to be options to increase the standby time-out to 300 seconds, but none to switch it off altogether...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Re: How to stop SB-800 going into standby when used as a remote?

Postby digitor on Sun May 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Below the 300 seconds option in the STBY menu, there is a three dashes option, which looks like this: ---

Set the arrow to that option, then, no more standby timeout!

According to the manual though, (p73) the standby function is cancelled when the flash is in remote mode. (Unless the batteries are flat).

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Re: How to stop SB-800 going into standby when used as a remote?

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon May 18, 2009 12:47 am

I suspect this is a firmware issue. I have two SB800s. One goes into standby while in remote :evil: , the other doesn't.
digitors solution will work, but then the flash will never go into standby, thus flattening the battery quicker when in normal operation. My solution was to put some tape on the one that goes into standby, and set it to never go into standby, then only use it as a remote.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Return to Nikon