Calibrating VR? Dropped lens

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Calibrating VR? Dropped lens

Postby Manic311 on Tue May 19, 2009 7:24 pm

A while back I dropped my 70-300mm VR nikkor from about 40-50cm which landed on a pair of jeans a shirt on carpet, but as it landed horizontally it just "tapped" the corner of a wall that sticks out and put a little dent.

There was no damage apart from a smashed hoya filter and that dent, the filter unscrewed easily and i removed the glass carefully.

But ever since then the lens has been a bit of a mixed bag, sometimes VR seems like it is hardly doing a thing and it seems way softer at 300mm then it used to be but at 70mm it seems spot on.

What can I do about this? I really love this lens and I can't afford the 70-200mm VR anytime soon.

But then again it could be my mind playing tricks on me.

Here is a picture of the dent, Image
Canon 50D, 24-70L, 50mm f1.4, 580EX, 10-22, 17-85
Manic311

Re: Calibrating VR? Dropped lens

Postby Glen on Wed May 20, 2009 9:31 am

Patrick haven't seen any do it yourself VR repairs, my guess is a trip to Nikon, though would love to see how to fix VR if someone knew.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Re: Calibrating VR? Dropped lens

Postby aim54x on Wed May 20, 2009 10:52 am

That is a nice lens...it may be a trip to Nikon though. Fingers crossed that it gets fixed quickly and without too much damage to the wallet.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Nikon