D5000 recall

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D5000 recall

Postby Potoroo on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:52 am

Nikon (US) have issued a service advisory for the D5000.

According to Thom Hogan Nikon have yet to actually tell anybody about it:

If You're in the Market for a D5000
July 27 (news, opinion)--I mentioned that Nikon hasn't officially notified dealers about the problem in my original article below. I've now had the chance to talk to a couple of dealers this morning. Yes, there's still no official notification from NikonUSA as I write this (there's a dealer Web site, amongst other methods of communication, but nothing specific on that Web site, and no email notifications yet, either).

However, dealers that were concerned about their current inventory apparently are being proactive. NikonUSA is issuing return authorizations for a dealer's existing D5000 inventory as long as it is matched with a new PO to replace the impacted cameras. The replacement cameras should be into dealers sometime next week.

Thus, if you're in the market for a D5000 at the moment, talk to your dealer about whether their inventory has been checked for cameras affected by the Service Advisory. This is one place where having a good local dealer makes a difference. The good ones are on top of this and are already replacing their inventory.
Canon EOS 50D, 24-70 f2.8L, 100-300 f5.6L, 580EX II
Potoroo

Re: D5000 recall

Postby aim54x on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Potoroo wrote:Nikon (US) have issued a service advisory for the D5000.

According to Thom Hogan Nikon have yet to actually tell anybody about it:

We were told about it in Australia....but we kept selling them and as far as I know there hasnt been a list of affected serials from Nikon Aust though Nikon USA has released a program to check on their website.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:10 pm

Nikon US wrote:To further minimize customer inconvenience, Nikon will return serviced cameras to customers promptly

How nice of them. :cough:
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:28 pm

I checked Nikon Aust's website and they now have a facility to check your serial number http://www.nikon.com.au/plugins/d5000_verification/index.php
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Nikon