What to choose, what to choose?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

What to choose, what to choose?

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:11 pm

Well my camera (oly e510) is selling on ebay, i finally made the decision to sell it. I have been converted to Nikon user - well currently i don't own one, but want one- I figured that the best people to ask about Nikon camera's were the nikon users.

I am only a hobby photographer. Would like to be more one day. I photograph children mainly and really love to take pictures of landscapes and nature, and have done a wedding which i loved doing and would love to do again. My olympus was great until I got my hands on my brother in laws Nikon d200. I fell in love with it the moment I picked it up. :mrgreen:

I do know that it is an older model, but I loved the feel, the weight, the ease of navigation etc. My budget, mmmm the dreaded word...i hate not having the funds to buy what i want, but my daughters education at this stage takes most of my budget along side the mortgage. :cry: Even though I am selling my camera at the moment on ebay, I would really love to spend more, but i can only afford around the $700 mark all up. I understand that it wont get me any glass....but that might be something santa can bring this year. I am willing to buy second hand gear (thats in pretty good nick) for the right price.

Now, saying that i have no idea on what to buy. As i said i love the d200, but what are your thoughts on the d80, d3000 etc. Please all your info and suggestions will be taken on board, as i learnt from my last buy, you all know better then me!! lol

thanks for checking my post out, and i would love to have some comments to guide me in the right direction for the right camera.

kristen
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Re: What to choose, what to choose?

Postby wendellt on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi welcome to the forum
I've used a d80 before its. Superior camera to the d200 because its a newer sensor and it handles iso better only issue is that its an entry level camera so the viewfinder is small and its got limited focus points. Also its a smaller camera so it
Won't have the kind of feel as a d200

Saying that if you just after a clean nice pic the d80 is your best bet for your budget

Saying that I have a 5200 with 18-70 kit lense for sale its been used heavily used the cosmetic condition is very used
But if you lile I'm willing to part with it within your budget
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:36 pm

OMG i just got a reply from wendelt!! :bowdown:

Sorry i love your photo's, i am loving all your posts lately, makes me want to get out and do more!! thanks for the inspiration!!

In regards to your 5200...i am unfamiliar with that camera all together, is it possible to have some further info and photo's?

thanks for the advice, i have felt the d200 and loved it in my hands, in comparisson to my current olympus which is pretty small and light weight, i prefered the weight and size of the d200....i think i might have to pop into the local store and see if they have a d80 to hold and see if i like it. is the d3000 similar in size comared to the d200?
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby wendellt on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:48 pm

Ah your a very sweet thing
Thankyou
I have typing on my blackberry so sorry for the spelling mistakes I meant I have a d200 but really I think its best to get a D80
its amazing for these prosumer cameras have evolved
I even know a pro fotog who uses the D80 kit to shoot theatre in low light

But if you really like the grip of a D200 let me know

There's one more thing that you should know about the D200 on verticle grip position its hard to move the focus points if you have petite hands
Its an issue and the verticle grip has battery drainage issues sometimes the shutter locks up when the battery is low

Photography is an investment so maybe if you can monetise your hobby just go with a D300

Good with your decision either way you will have a lot of enjoyment with whatever you get
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:02 pm

ok, what sort of price would you be after? i know lighlty used ones go on ebay around the $650 mark.will certainly consider buying it. have u got any pics of the gear?? just so i can see the wear and tare!!

does anyone know about or own a d3000? what do ou think of this particular camera? just want to make sure if i buy a camera its the right one this time. if i didn't have a budget i'd love the d300, anyone want to off load theirs? lol - doubt it!!
bigsarg7

Postby wendellt on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:11 pm

hi

it's used im not sure about the shutter actuations but bought it in March 2008

Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:22 pm

may i ask why the duc tape? never seen that done before. has the lens got any scratches on it? lcd?
bigsarg7

Postby aim54x on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Just to answer about the D3000, it is a nice camera, and would put a D200 to shame in terms of image quality, but it has no resemblance to a D200 in terms of feel, it is a entry level camera. With your budget, a D200 or a D80 would be the best way to go.

Wendell, I love the duct tape look!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby tommyg on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 pm

Looking where the tape is, I would say it's to hold the door for the card closed - the Nikon door has a nasty habit of popping open fairly easily
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Postby wendellt on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:55 am

its to hold the front enclosure shut yes it has been used
but it worksd well
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt

Postby bigsarg7 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:04 pm

hi folks,

well my camera is officially sold in half and hour. I am still trying to figure out what I want. And in all honesty I just don't know. Looks like $700 is all i have, but i need to get a camera and some glass. What would you all suggest?

can anyone suggest anywhere to buy from, ebay is obvious, but you never know what your getting. I don't want to spend good money (well what i call good money lol) i really need some help, i know you've all read my thread but if someone could really help me out i'd be so appreciative. I don't want to be a professional....i just wanna be the best i can be. I would like a camera (nikon) that feels sturdy like the d200, so yeah, would love some help. thanks everyone. sorry to keep being a nusence!

kristen
bigsarg7

Postby bigsarg7 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:37 pm

can someone tell me, is the d80 similar in size compared to the d200? i found the d3000 too much like my olympus, a bit small etc. i prefer the d200 size and weight and feel, but as the d80 is the older model none of my stores around my area stock the d80 to hold and feel. thanks
bigsarg7

Postby aim54x on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:04 pm

bigsarg7 wrote:can someone tell me, is the d80 similar in size compared to the d200? i found the d3000 too much like my olympus, a bit small etc. i prefer the d200 size and weight and feel, but as the d80 is the older model none of my stores around my area stock the d80 to hold and feel. thanks

The D80 is smaller, but if you go and have a look at a D90 you will have something that is essentially the same size, shape and weight in your hands. Congrats on the sale of the E510
Cameron
aim54x

Postby ATJ on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:57 am

tommyg wrote: the Nikon door has a nasty habit of popping open fairly easily

I hate it when then happens, especially at the end of a day of shooting. The light gets in and ruins all the shots. I don't even check to see if the shots are OK as I know they aren't. I just format the card and have a little cry. :violin:
ATJ

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:20 pm

ATJ wrote:

I hate it when then happens, especially at the end of a day of shooting. The light gets in and ruins all the shots. I don't even check to see if the shots are OK as I know they aren't. I just format the card and have a little cry. :violin:

:biglaugh:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby tommyg on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:22 pm

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :surrender:
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Postby aim54x on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:24 pm

ATJ wrote:

I am very happy that my D300 and S5 Pro dont have this habit, although my baby D60 does it too often for my liking.....a waste of good photos..
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Nikon