D300s Software support sux, Rant!

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D300s Software support sux, Rant!

Postby ljxphotography on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi All,

Got my D300s last week :mrgreen: Happy me :mrgreen: the camera with 17-55 2.8 work real good as a match to my D3 with 80-200 2.8. I love the new multi selector(same as the D3's) on the back.

Had a wedding shoot on the weekend, went awsome 8) well till I got home and loaded the images into aperture.
Aperture dose not recognize the file type, so I tried to open in Capture NX and still no go. Checked the Nikon website and there is no update available for NX1. I was quite happy with NX 1 and my Colour efex pro plug in.
I have now been forced to upgrade to NX 2 and I cant et it to work cuz it wont take my product key :x Not a happy man tonight :x

Im sure Apple will sort out there Sh!t, how much longer could it be? the camera has been out for over 3 months. I dont want to have to go buy lightroom, I WAS pretty happy with my set up.

Yeah I know :violin:

Mick :(
Nikon D800,D300s X2,F90x,F4e, 18-35AFD,24mm f2, 35mmf2, 50mm f1.8 AFS, 85mm 1.4, 180mm 2.8, SB600, SB800, Elinchrom Quadras.
ljxphotography

Re: D300s Software support sux, Rant!

Postby Matt. K on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:57 pm

In an emergency you could download Adobe DNG converter perhaps and go down that road?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby ljxphotography on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 pm

I might have to :agree: , I have sent Nikon an email and Ill give em a call. Hopefully they will get NX 2 sorted for me.

Mick :mrgreen:
Nikon D800,D300s X2,F90x,F4e, 18-35AFD,24mm f2, 35mmf2, 50mm f1.8 AFS, 85mm 1.4, 180mm 2.8, SB600, SB800, Elinchrom Quadras.
ljxphotography

Postby aim54x on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:22 pm

Something tells me that I wouldnt not be surprised that Capture NX does not support the D300s (the support for that software ended as far as I know) but it does trouble me that your product key does not work for Capture NX2. Did you buy the upgrade package or did you buy the full version? Have you tried to call Nikon Australia (not that will be a guaranteed solution.....)

I would go down the road of a Adobe DNG converter for now...then outputting back into TIFF so you can use your old workflow...

Otherwise, I have a D300 that I am happy to swap for your D300s..... :wink:
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby ATJ on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:01 am

I'm with Cameron on NX 1. It was discontinued a long time ago. You can't expect Nikon to keep providing upgrades to something they no longer support.

How did you purchase your product key for NX version 2? Sounds like that's where your problem is.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:36 am

Mick,

Something about what you're saying here doesn't make a lot of sense.

Nikon's products typically come with a one month free trial period, during which there is no need to enter a product key. Did this not work for you? Can you perhaps download NikonView and use that for basic processing tasks?

As has already been asked, from where did you source your copy of NX2, and from where did you source the registration key that you are trying to use with it?

While I think that the product life of NX1 was too short (in terms of a product life) the fact remains that support for it has been discontinued, and like it or not, this is one way that the manufacturers screw us for more of our $$$ than they should be.

I would probably be following the advice that others have already given, and follow the DNG route.

Perhaps that's the best way to let the camera manufacturers know of our displeasure with their continued and repeated attempts to put their hands into our not-so-deep pockets.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Jeff on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Mick
I had a similar problem when I tried to load my laptop with NX2. I only had the upgrade which is on my desktop .
I loaded NX on the laptop all good . I then loaded the upgrade to NX2 still all good and then tried to load the product key from NX to get the full version of NX2 . The code would not fit in the available spaces . I had numeruos conversation with Nikon and lots of e-mails and I eventually gave up.
Good luck.

Jeff
Jeff

Postby radar on Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Mick,

I hope you don't have Snow Leopard, ie OS X 10.6.x, as it will not run the very latest version of NX2, only supported for 10.5.x. NX2 will supposedly support Snow Leopard by the end of Dec.
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby ljxphotography on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:37 pm

Jeff wrote:Hi Mick
I had a similar problem when I tried to load my laptop with NX2. I only had the upgrade which is on my desktop .
I loaded NX on the laptop all good . I then loaded the upgrade to NX2 still all good and then tried to load the product key from NX to get the full version of NX2 . The code would not fit in the available spaces . I had numeruos conversation with Nikon and lots of e-mails and I eventually gave up.
Good luck.

Jeff

Im having the same problem as Jeff, I bought an upgrade from the Nikon website and the product number that comes up when you open NX 1 is 5 digits short. Nikon Australia tells me that these numbers are on the original packaging for NX.
Problem is I havent seen it for about 3 years :oops: and am in the process of pulling the house appart :shock:
My only gripe with Nikon at the moment is that you dont get told you need the original packaging till you buy and download the product.

Aperture 2 should have sorted support buy now, its not an out of date programe.

gstark wrote:Mick,

Something about what you're saying here doesn't make a lot of sense.

Nikon's products typically come with a one month free trial period, during which there is no need to enter a product key. Did this not work for you? Can you perhaps download NikonView and use that for basic processing tasks?

As has already been asked, from where did you source your copy of NX2, and from where did you source the registration key that you are trying to use with it?

While I think that the product life of NX1 was too short (in terms of a product life) the fact remains that support for it has been discontinued, and like it or not, this is one way that the manufacturers screw us for more of our $$$ than they should be.

I would probably be following the advice that others have already given, and follow the DNG route.

Perhaps that's the best way to let the camera manufacturers know of our displeasure with their continued and repeated attempts to put their hands into our not-so-deep pockets.

:agree: Stupid me in all my cranky last night didnt even think to use the trial period :roll:

Now where's that disc cover :evil:

ljxphotography

Postby ljxphotography on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:14 am

Aperture RAW update for D300s is available now 8)

For anybody who has already loaded D300s images into aperture, after the update you need to migrate the raw files before it will preview of open the files.

ljxphotography

Return to Nikon