New Camera

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

New Camera

Postby spesh on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:03 pm

OK So I purchased a Nikon D80 nearly 3 years ago with kit lenses and have upgraded those to some Sigma 2.8 glass and a nifty fifty.

However, I have found that my new business is taking off a bit and I require something that has faster AF, more AF points, better low light capabilities and also give me a backup body (or use the D80 as a backup)

I have been mulling over a D300s for about 3 months waiting to see what happens with my business, and now I have a few events / bookings, it is clear that if I dedicate more time I can get things really going.

So the question is this.... D300s or D700?

Pro's and Con's for both have been measured... D300s is good for the extra reach of the 1.5x crop.... D700 is good for the low light and higher ISO performance etc.

I'd be keeping the D80 and will have to replace the 18-50 Sigma for some FX glass, which is fine as that lens can sit on the D80, and I have a 2x Teleconverter for the 70-200 so I have reach, and if I really need it, can use the D80....

Would I be wasting the money going for the D700 at such an early stage? Should I go for the D300s and give myself the longer reach but poorer ISO abilities?

At the moment I am mostly doing pet photography, a few events such as evenings at a local bar, weddings and other portraits.

Thanks for your help
Andrew
Nikon (growing quickly!)

http://www.perfectcapture.com.au
spesh

Re: New Camera

Postby gstark on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi Andrew,

Let's take a step or two backwards, before moving forwards ...

spesh wrote:However, I have found that my new business is taking off a bit and I require something that has faster AF, more AF points, better low light capabilities and also give me a backup body (or use the D80 as a backup)

And we should stop about here.

You mention "your new business" but you don't mention what it might be.

It might be a safe bet to presume that the business is photography based.

Or not.

But if it is, what are you shooting? Weddings? Animals? (same thing)

Sports? And if sports, what type? Motor sports? Running? Chess?

Landscapes perhaps?

Food or still life?

Let's see if we can understand what you're going to be shooting, and then we can be in a position to give you some more relevant advice.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kiwi on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Ive had the d300 and d3, and rven for sport in good light I prefer the D3 even though I lose the crop, accordingly it is rare that I use the D300 at all

The AF system and ISO performance, FX and the "3d" like nature of the photos are something special. I suspect that the d300s and d700 are similar against each other
Darren
Nikon D3 and Nikon Glass
kiwi

Postby Aussie Dave on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Andrew,
Would you shoot more in low-light environments (which I assume you'd come across at weddings, shooting at the local pubs, etc.), or more using the telephoto lens (perhaps in your pet photography ?) ? And, in the instances of using the telephoto lens, how easy would it be to get yourself closer to the subject ?

If you have the ability to control your distance, then the "crop-factor" may not be as much an issue (and with a 12MP camera, you can always crop in PP - if it was really required).

If you often shoot in poor light, then ISO is your friend as it's not easy to enhance the lighting at such venues (unless you use flashes and/or external lighting), so the D700 may be the better option.

I guess YOU need to determine what will benefit you most and go with that. I'm not sure any of us can give you the correct answer. It all comes down to the "usual" environment you work in....
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby kiwi on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:40 pm

actually you can crop in camera, high speed crop too (faster FPS) , and shoot in DX mode to start with. Wouldnt be without it.
Darren
Nikon D3 and Nikon Glass
kiwi

Postby spesh on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks for your advice so far....

The business is photography and at the moment my client list covers a few areas..... pets, portrait, wedding and a regular stint at a club doing crowd and group shots.

I have an SB-900 and an SB-400 in my bag already, so adding some light to the shots can be done (I am still learning a lot with the 900 though!) but my regular earner at the moment is the club shots.

However, the main areas I want to really extend to is pets with a little bit of portrait (and the occasional wedding for good measure), so I am after a camera that can cope with these too.

I find the D80 can handle portrait work really well, and with my 70-200 f2.8 I get some great photos. However, when doing the pets, sometimes with the light conditions the results aren't as good as I would have hoped for with the AF speed and especially the focus points.

Sports is quite rare but is a good fav of mine... I haven't added it to the business side of things yet because I haven't really got a foot in the door yet with any other company or event. I know my 70-200 with the 2x teleconverter on it is suitable for most sports and I dont have the budget for anything faster or longer at the moment. However, given the opportunity I would grab it with both hands. Out of all the shoots I do, I find I enjoy these the most, but they are the hardest to get into. This is the only place where the crop factor would play a part, but if I can crop in PP, then would it really matter that much? Especially if the image is that much better from the D700?

FPS also doesn't matter as I'll be getting the battery grip on either one :)

Thanks
Andrew
Nikon (growing quickly!)

spesh

Postby kiwi on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:07 am

Andrew

The D700 I think is a best fit for you. For weddings and pets where dynamic range and iso performance are both important I think it's the no.1 Nikon choice. The other consideration though is whether you would use video on the D300s

Re sport, the best way to get into it is at the grassroots level and selling pics to mums & dads I think. You dont and shouldnt need to start with big events. Id imagine the IQ with the 2x TC on is pretty lousy ?
Darren
Nikon D3 and Nikon Glass
kiwi

Postby spesh on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:55 am

kiwi wrote:Andrew

The D700 I think is a best fit for you. For weddings and pets where dynamic range and iso performance are both important I think it's the no.1 Nikon choice. The other consideration though is whether you would use video on the D300s

Re sport, the best way to get into it is at the grassroots level and selling pics to mums & dads I think. You dont and shouldnt need to start with big events. Id imagine the IQ with the 2x TC on is pretty lousy ?

Thank you for this, it is what I thought.

The 2x TC is pretty good on stationary objects when on a monopod. When handheld it is good, and some PP to sharpen up the images is required. With motion though it has issues tracking small objects and soon I'll put it through its paces with some bigger objects to see how it goes.
Nikon (growing quickly!)

spesh

Postby darklightphotography on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:50 am

I would also go for the D700. I'd swap my D300 for one in an instant for weddings, if I could afford it :(

Don't try out a 24-70 though, you'll never resist the temptation. :)
darklightphotography

Return to Nikon