24 -70 online?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

24 -70 online?

Postby feldy on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi guys - once again, apols for long absence [will explain why for anyone who might be interested]; after dodging the bullet for a while [have 18 -70 plus quite a few primes: 50mm, 80 etc] am thinking of finally coughing up for a 24-70; quick question - would you buy one of these on Ebay [or similar online source]?

Have seen some listed by Hong Kong sources [now that Poon source seems a little defunct] but a local outfit - Oz Digital Online seems to be pretty much matching o/seas options, with a price of AU $1,879.00.

Have you had any experience with purchasing from these guys, or used any online sources that you would be able to recommend?

tx
A
Last edited by feldy on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feldy

Re: 24 -70 online?

Postby aim54x on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Digital Rev? DWI? D-D-Photographics?

Why not stroll down to your local Ted's or Camera House and double check as well...
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby surenj on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Welcome back Feldy. Hope you can become a regular member here.

I have bought from DWI and DD photographics and recommend them both especially for lenses. Don't bother with ebay though.
surenj

Postby radar on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:04 am

As Cameron says, try the locals, their prices have come down signaficantly. For example, $1895 for Australian stock for the 24-70, not really worth going for grey market, imho.

And welcome back :-)
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:08 am

Ditto, ditto, and ditto.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby feldy on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Ok thanks guys - had a quick look around as per suggestions and fyi, DWI is significantly cheaper than DD, so looks like they're the go!

cheers
A
feldy

Postby radar on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:16 pm

The DWI price is very good, I must admit. However, have a look at the Trader Opinions on this forum and search around for what people think of DWI, even on their facebook page. It seems to be a very hit/miss experience. Some win, some don't, as long as you are aware of this, fine. I have never dealt with them before, so I don't speak from personal experience. I went and had a look at their prices and like them :-) for some gear that is on my wish list, but when I started to dig a bit deeper to find if I would like to deal with them, I started having second thoughts, YMMV.

Cheers,
André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby radar on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Also note that they seem to ship from HK, so their price does not include GST. Depending on your order and how lucky you are at it being processed by customs, you may be up for GST.

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby surenj on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:48 pm

radar wrote:For example, $1895 for Australian stock for the 24-70, not really worth going for grey market, imho.

Definitely agree! I have been overlooking the australian stock for a while!
surenj

Postby feldy on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:58 pm

radar wrote:Also note that they seem to ship from HK, so their price does not include GST. Depending on your order and how lucky you are at it being processed by customs, you may be up for GST.

thanks for that; perused DWI's fine print and found the GST thing - have to say it's not a good sign that they weren't a little more upfront about that...
feldy

24 -70 online?

Postby Wink on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:55 am

Saw a story in the Today show yesterday morning that said there's going to be a government enquiry into charging GST on items brought OS that cost under $1k.
The story also said customs is taking a much closer look at packages now because a lot are being well under valued to avoid GST charges.

The honeymoon might be over...
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby surenj on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:11 pm

Wink, That would be irritating. Hopefully these decisions will be delayed by the beaurocracy? :mrgreen:
surenj

Postby gstark on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Wink wrote:Saw a story in the Today show yesterday morning that said there's going to be a government enquiry into charging GST on items brought OS that cost under $1k.

Good to see the tabloid media is on top of things.

That's not what the enquiry - which was announced around Christmas time, ans started this week, is about.

The enquiry is about online trading, and how it affects the economy. That includes the effect of no GST on sub-$1000 purchases, but it's a tad more than that.

The government has indicated that there are many practical issues associated with the collection of GST on these transactions - consider that the GST on a $400 purchase is just $40; who will collect it, and how? - and that they're not really in favour of this.

Basically, this is the result of Gerry Harvey's bleating about online sales, but the problem he's facing is that he's clinging to an archaic business model. He's had 12 years to get his business's act together, but instead, he's been specifying that new business systems being built should look and act look like they're from the late 80's.

I even heard the erstwhile Mr Harvey complaining about the GST issue ... using the trip that he and his wife were on, shopping in NY City, and asking the shop assistant there why Aussies were turning to online sales.

I'm not exactly convinced that a typical Aussie would have too much sympathy for a billionaire, shopping in NY, complaining about Aussies' buying habits (and therefore a reduction in that billionaire's income) to a person who would have less than no idea about those buying habits or the reasons behind them.

And I have yet to see any purchase decision made where the possible imposition of GST was a major factor in the buying decision.

But I would stop short of suggesting that next time we're near a Hardly Normal store, we walk in, ask to speak to the manager, and tell him that we're not buying product from their store because Gerry is acting like a goose and a fool.

And I'd never suggest that we should do it again and again, so that Gerry gets the message.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby grivai on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:59 am

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-fo ... Z253943952

Not sure if it's still available?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-AF-S-24-70 ... 483wt_1158

Otherwise from my experience, I have had 3 dealings with DWI, all positive. They actually offered to mark the value of one shipment (which was a fairly valuable one) lower in order to avoid customs fees. This was a tad dubious but I wasn't complaining (and it worked evidently)...

I have a lens that was shipped from the USA being processed by customs right now actually...and reading the above posts has made me feel that I may get a nasty bill in the mail any day now :-(

My2C
grivai

Postby grivai on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:19 am

I just emailed the gumtree seller to check - and apparently it is still for sale. I have no idea where in Sydney you both are located up there, but could be worth a shot getting in touch...

Maybe of some help...

Cheers.
grivai

Postby feldy on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:18 pm

to be honest, not sure why you would go for second hand, when new ones are about the same price [ex Hong Kong] - fyi i emailed those guys [DWI] and they were quite upfront about the 10% GSt so am going to go with them.

Thanks again for comments/suggestions

PS if anyone knows of anyone trying to get rid of a good pre-loved D700, pse let me know!
feldy

Return to Nikon