d'oh!

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

d'oh!

Postby ATJ on Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:12 pm

I've had my D300 now for over 3 years. I really love the 51 focus points and regularly switch to other than the centre one, especially underwater. One problem is I sometimes forget to move it back to the centre (which isn't always obvious underwater as I get a limited view of the viewfinder). While trying to get to sleep the other night I thought that Nikon really need a button to set the focus point back to the centre.

Today I was getting the camera ready for a dive tomorrow. I put it in the housing and while checking that everything works I noticed the focus point was not on the centre. My housing has external buttons that let me interact with the multi selector. There are 4 in a diamond and one in the centre. I pressed the one in the centre and voila the focus point was centred.

So... even after 3 years of regular use, I can still find features that are new to me.
ATJ

Re: d'oh!

Postby biggerry on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:38 pm

thats a nice tip, I wonder if it does the same on teh D7000, thats always a pain when you have moved the focus point, at the airshow I remember it would have been handy to have that one button click to bring back to centre...
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:14 am

biggerry wrote:thats a nice tip, I wonder if it does the same on teh D7000, thats always a pain when you have moved the focus point, at the airshow I remember it would have been handy to have that one button click to bring back to centre...

From memory it is the same....

ATJ wrote:I've had my D300 now for over 3 years. I really love the 51 focus points and regularly switch to other than the centre one, especially underwater. One problem is I sometimes forget to move it back to the centre (which isn't always obvious underwater as I get a limited view of the viewfinder). While trying to get to sleep the other night I thought that Nikon really need a button to set the focus point back to the centre.

Today I was getting the camera ready for a dive tomorrow. I put it in the housing and while checking that everything works I noticed the focus point was not on the centre. My housing has external buttons that let me interact with the multi selector. There are 4 in a diamond and one in the centre. I pressed the one in the centre and voila the focus point was centred.

So... even after 3 years of regular use, I can still find features that are new to me.

:biglaugh:
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Remorhaz on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:54 pm

biggerry wrote:thats a nice tip, I wonder if it does the same on teh D7000, thats always a pain when you have moved the focus point, at the airshow I remember it would have been handy to have that one button click to bring back to centre...

Yep - pretty sure it's the same on D7000.
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby ATJ on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:56 pm

It was very handy on my dive today. Quite a few times I moved the focus point to the left or up. One press when I was done and it was centred. :up:
ATJ

Postby glamy on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Same on D3s... Thanks for the tip :oops: very handy.
glamy

Postby biggerry on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:09 pm

aim54x wrote:From memory it is the same....

Remorhaz wrote:Yep - pretty sure it's the same on D7000.

correcto, used it today, damn handy feature...
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Matt. K on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Andrew
The D300 has autofocus!!!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to Nikon