Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G - Announced

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G - Announced

Postby whoalse on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:58 am

Well, in fact there wasn't any announcement. It was released in a quiet manner which is quite odd.
Not that many of us would need another 50mm but does it mean something? FX in a consumer body?
hmmm...rumours hotting up? :biglaugh:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/singlefocal/normal/af-s_50mmf_18g/index.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoALSE => Allen
One form of time travel is thru Captured Moments
whoalse

Re: Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G - Announced

Postby Steffen on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:06 am

Well, the screwdriver AF lens had to be replaced eventually, and 50mm is a classic FX focal length. What intrigues me is the aspheric element! Where did that come from? The only Nikon normal lens ever to sport an aspheric element was the 58mm Noct!

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:08 am

whoalse wrote:Well, in fact there wasn't any announcement. It was released in a quiet manner which is quite odd.

Or perhaps not yet released.

I usually see the pressers on these things, an none has surfaced as yet, but the link that you'vr provided now resolves to an error page on the Nikon site.

Sounds like it's an upcoming item. Did you grab a screenshot of the page? Is it perhaps still in your system's cache?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks, Andrew.

That pretty well confirms both the OP, plus my observations. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby whoalse on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:27 am

gstark wrote:
whoalse wrote:Well, in fact there wasn't any announcement. It was released in a quiet manner which is quite odd.

Or perhaps not yet released.

I usually see the pressers on these things, an none has surfaced as yet, but the link that you'vr provided now resolves to an error page on the Nikon site.

Sounds like it's an upcoming item. Did you grab a screenshot of the page? Is it perhaps still in your system's cache?

Hey Gary & all,

Here's the link to a screen grab in PDF by someone else other than myself.
http://download.akam.no/diverse/af-s_50mm_1.8g.pdf

Seems like it was pulled offline but the specifics are pretty detailed in such a way that it's believable.

Perhaps, Nikon is doing some teasers for marketing purposes, ie viral marketing! I'm sure the 50 1.8d would be replaced eventually. Maybe a consumer FX model on its way too or a rangefinder! Bring on the rumours!! :rotfl2:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoALSE => Allen
One form of time travel is thru Captured Moments
whoalse

Postby aim54x on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:17 pm

whoalse wrote:Perhaps, Nikon is doing some teasers for marketing purposes, ie viral marketing! I'm sure the 50 1.8d would be replaced eventually. Maybe a consumer FX model on its way too or a rangefinder! Bring on the rumours!! :rotfl2:

Consumer FX model sounds good to me!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby radar on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Officially released now, at least in the USA:
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/ ... F1.8G.html

Thom Hogan also talks about it:
http://www.bythom.com/
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Raskill on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:59 pm

Hmmm, seems I just decided upon my purchase when I visit B&H in a fortnight..... Anyone else want one?
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby radar on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Raskill wrote:Hmmm, seems I just decided upon my purchase when I visit B&H in a fortnight..... Anyone else want one?

Not sure it will be there for you Alan, lists it as June arrival :(

Happy shopping otherwise :-)
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Raskill on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:06 pm

Damn it.

Maybe Nikon will make it happen. Just for me. :roll:

I think some primes will be bought either way. :) Look out credit card!!!!! :wink:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:44 am

radar wrote:Officially released now, at least in the USA:

And here as well.

From the presser ...

Nikon Australia wrote:Sydney- Nikon is pleased to announce the release of the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G, a bright, fast, 50mm fixed focal length (prime) lens, compatible with Nikon FX-format digital-SLR cameras.

The AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G offers the pleasing blur characteristics and three-dimensional rendering capabilities possible only with a fixed focal length lens.

A new optical design that enables f/1.8 maximum aperture utilises an aspherical lens element, which achieves superior rendering performance for excellent image quality even with shooting in low light. The built-in Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ensures quiet autofocus operation. What's more, the SWM means that autofocus shooting is also possible when the lens is used with entry-level Nikon DX-format digital-SLR cameras such as the D5100 and D3100, which are not equipped with an autofocus drive motor.

Nikon has long had the support of professional and advanced amateur photographers for its consistent development of innovative products and use of high quality optics. Nikon is committed to expanding and strengthening the NIKKOR lineup with the steady release of new, high-performance lenses that offer advanced functions.

The AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G will be available from Nikon stockists from Thursday June 2nd.
RRP $299
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Nikon