For Gerry (& any other D7000 users)...

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

For Gerry (& any other D7000 users)...

Postby Remorhaz on Thu May 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Just thought I'd mention that I got bored the other day and looked for camera stuff for my D7000. Anyway to cut a long story short I had often wondered what a battery grip (MB-D11) would be like and I wasn't really up for the $350 odd dollars it would be for the Nikon brand grip so I did some research and I've ordered one of the knockoffs for the princely sum of $46. Since I was there I also ordered some other stuff like an LCD Timer Remote for Nikon D7000, D90, etc (something I'd mentioned to Cameron the other day) - one which does delayed timer, intervals, long exposures, sequences, etc, for all of $20 and a 60cm speedlight softbox for $34.

Anyway i paid just over $100 for the stuff and $30 for delivery which I hope will arrive sometime in the next few weeks - I can't expect too much for the price paid but I'll comment on how it goes when it arrives if people are interested.
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Re: For Gerry (& any other D7000 users)...

Postby Jenno on Thu May 12, 2011 9:17 pm

I've ordered one of the knockoffs for the princely sum of $46

Cheap component might result in a costly repair bill especially if your warranty is voided :?
Jenno

Postby biggerry on Thu May 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Remorhaz wrote:Just thought I'd mention that I got bored the other day and looked for camera stuff for my D7000.

waay too much time on ya hands :rotfl2:

I have always thought adding a grip to cameras like the d80-d7000 was a bit pointless since one of the draw cards (and this is possibly just me) to these are their relatively compact size. That said, I can se the benefits of a grip in some situations, purely from a battery point of view. The ergos is not something i particularly like about gripped cameras, however, that is just me.

Remorhaz wrote:60cm speedlight softbox for $34.

where did you pick up said softbox? I am looking for a strip box atm.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Thu May 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Which brand did you get?
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Remorhaz on Fri May 13, 2011 11:42 am

This was all from http://www.linkdelight.com/ - the online store version of the ebay store we got those flash diffusers and other stuff from.

Not sure what brand the stuff is (will have to wait for it to arrive to see probably).
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Remorhaz

Postby ATJ on Fri May 13, 2011 12:22 pm

biggerry wrote:I have always thought adding a grip to cameras like the d80-d7000 was a bit pointless since one of the draw cards (and this is possibly just me) to these are their relatively compact size.

It is not just you. One of the reasons I got the D7000 was so I'd have a compact camera that I would carry on dog walks in case we see something interesting. Being light and compact means it is no biggie to carry.

It has proved useful, too, as I many shots of cool things (fungi, spiders, insects) from the walks.
ATJ

Postby Remorhaz on Wed May 18, 2011 8:29 pm

ATJ wrote:
biggerry wrote:I have always thought adding a grip to cameras like the d80-d7000 was a bit pointless since one of the draw cards (and this is possibly just me) to these are their relatively compact size.

It is not just you. One of the reasons I got the D7000 was so I'd have a compact camera that I would carry on dog walks in case we see something interesting

Don't get me wrong I plan to go "naked" as it were almost all of the time - I too like the compact body - I only wanted one of these for the occasions when I'm doing an event (school event) shoot where I:
1) take LOTS (1 to 2K) of shots so "may" actually need the extra battery power - and I can use rechargable AA's for that
2) take lots of vertical shots (of people) and so would like the vertical shutter release
and I didn't want to pay $350 to use it a few times a year

biggerry wrote:
Remorhaz wrote:Just thought I'd mention that I got bored the other day and looked for camera stuff for my D7000.

waay too much time on ya hands

and it gets worse - I ordered one of those Eye-Fi X2 cards (8GB) from Amazon yesterday - I'll put it in the second slot in the D7000 (for overflow storage) and I can send pics to my ipad or macbook wirelessly if I ever need to - sort of like tethered shooting without the wires.
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Remorhaz

Postby biggerry on Wed May 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Remorhaz wrote:1) take LOTS (1 to 2K) of shots so "may" actually need the extra battery power - and I can use rechargable AA's for that

yeah true, that said, man the battery on the D7000 is awesome, just keeps on giving!
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby ATJ on Thu May 19, 2011 11:10 am

biggerry wrote:yeah true, that said, man the battery on the D7000 is awesome, just keeps on giving!

So true. I have charged mine twice - once when I bought it and once before Mount Wilson (only to be sure I'd have enough charge). I have taken over 1300 shots and I'm sure I didn't need the second charge.
ATJ

Return to Nikon