BIG FOCUSSING PROBLEM: Nikon 70-200mm VR I - ie. 'hunting'

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

BIG FOCUSSING PROBLEM: Nikon 70-200mm VR I - ie. 'hunting'

Postby Stolky on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:17 am

Hi all,

Very worried about my 70-200mm VR I lens. It's been struggling to get anything near consistent focus locks for the last 3mths (to be honest, off and on for the last 2yrs). Was great for about 2yrs (bought 2nd hand, but well cared for & never damged etc). Now, ..it CAN be great, but IS mostly crap - with a whole lot of barrel/lens element shifting going on as it struggles to process anything to get a lock (sounds like a bad rapper at a mixing deck :? )???!!!

My D70 has recently had issues too (about 1mth) - with it continually flashing up 'CHA' on the viewer?? I've tried several memory cards old & brand-new with no-luck. Some Images have gone missing randomly in the past as well. It turns on; can get a focus-lock (obviously when NOT using the above-mentioned 70-200m..); but then won't let the shutter fire and save an image to the card...

I thought the two issues may've been linked but - I doubt it.. :surrender:

I gave both body & lens to local camera shop (Newcastle), and they are using their repairer to have a look at them. Thought about Nikon at Lidcombe, but I'll give these guys a go first. ...Actually, I forgot to say, I took the lens and body into Nikon about 2yrs ago when it (lens) started playing up originally (as well as getting the manual MF/AF focus switch repaired on the body (cos it needed it ..AND I thought it may've been affecting the lens??). Anyway, long story short, gave both to the guy and, of course, it all works perfectly for him in the workshop - he was getting locks everywhere!?! :roll: I was simultaneously emarrassed/angry/relieved. All was well for about 6mths I guess and then went downhill off & on to this..

I'm not so worried about the D70 (I'll get a D700 soon)..

But, the repair bill on the lens might not be worth it (ie. given it's an f2.8 etc)..

Any advice/experiences appreciated..

Cheers, Mark
D70; Sigma 50mm f1.4; Nikon 18-70mm; Nikon 70-200mmVR f2.8; SB-800 flash
Stolky

Re: BIG FOCUSSING PROBLEM: Nikon 70-200mm VR I - ie. 'hunting'

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:43 am

The first question that occurs to me to ask is whether the problem is really with the lens. Autofocus can work better on higher-range bodies and it might be a problem with the D70 that appears to be a problem with the lens. If so, it may not be a problem on a D700.

Do you have someone with a higher range Nikon that you can try then lens on? Or perhaps, take it into a camera shop and ask if you can try in on some of their bodies, especially if that's where you are going to buy the D700.

Finally, if it does prove to be a problem with the lens, I would be inclined to get it repaired because the lens is going to be worth more than the cost of the repairs, especially if fully operational. You can pay $50 and Nikon will give you a quote before proceeding. Similar lenses sold on EBay recently for $800, $1,375 and $1,650. I have an 85mm f1.4G in for repair that I dropped and KOd the autofocus and the quote for that was $540, only $200 of which was labour. If there is a problem with your lens and it doesn't require new parts to fix, the cost might be less than that.
Murray Foote

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:50 am

Stolky wrote:But, the repair bill on the lens might not be worth it (ie. given it's an f2.8 etc)..

:shock: I wasn't aware there were any 70-200 lenses out there faster than this. It was and still is, a very good lens. There is some slight vignetting on an FX body, but that is about all any one can say bad about it. I would say get it fixed, provided the quote is not more than the VRII is worth.

Another thing to consider though, is the available light you have. AF works best in bright sunlight. If you are taking more shots indoors, that may be enough to explain the issue - & why the Nikon Tech couldn't find anything wrong. Also the camera body has an effect. The D70 is not the ideal body for AF. I have one, and a D200. The d200 will AF long after the D70 has given up. The D700 will be better again. Bear in mind though that this is an FX body. You will not get the same reach with your 70-200 that you get now with your D70
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby aim54x on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 pm

I'd be interested to hear what the problem is diagnosed as and the breakdown of the quote, having run repairs at a Sydney camera store for a bit over a year. If it worth it? Depends on how you view the situation. i would personally take into account:
-what I paid for the lens
-what the lens is worth now if I was to sell it in working order
-the cost of the replacement lens (ie 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II)
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Stolky on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:47 pm

Murray Foote wrote:Do you have someone with a higher range Nikon that you can try then lens on? Or perhaps, take it into a camera shop and ask if you can try in on some of their bodies, especially if that's where you are going to buy the D700.

Yeh, good advice. The guy in the shop did actually try it with a Nikon D3000/5000/7000??? something..? (one of the 'baby' nikon range) :oops: Wasn't really watching actually - too nervous about it getting an ok or not!! ..a couple of years ago when it started, some pro wedding shooter tried it with his D700 - and it didn't make a difference then either..

Fingers crossed though, thanks for help.
Stolky

Postby Stolky on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:
Stolky wrote:But, the repair bill on the lens might not be worth it (ie. given it's an f2.8 etc)..

:shock: I wasn't aware there were any 70-200 lenses out there faster than this.

You're right, there isn't. I was just eluding to the amount of fiddling the tech/s may have to do (& hence cost for me) for a lens with that much glass (elements) in the barrel.

Thanks for advice.
Stolky

Postby Stolky on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:57 pm

aim54x wrote:I'd be interested to hear what the problem is diagnosed as and the breakdown of the quote, having run repairs at a Sydney camera store for a bit over a year.

I'll let you know the damage (..in both senses).
Stolky

Postby Stolky on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:54 pm

Righto, looks like the repair bill is:

* D70 - $314

* 70-200mm VR - $443

I'll prob leave the body at this stage (since I'm upgrading soon), but I think that seems like an ok price ( :roll: ) for the lens.. ..assuming it's entirely fixed??! What sort of warranty/guarantee should I expect or ask for/about..?

Any thoughts folks?

Mark
Stolky

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:08 pm

What are they saying is wrong with each if the units?

I'd be inclined to fix the glass, but not the D70.

That (D70) repair cost would probably be roughly what the body is now worth, if not actually more than ... Those funds would be better directed to a newer, more fully featured body, I would think.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Stolky on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:33 pm

gstark wrote:What are they saying is wrong with each if the units?

Good question?! I asked (the middle man ie. Camera shop) but, they didn't have any details as to what/why/how etc. Not sure If I should insist on a breakdown of the quote first - or just blindly say yes, and hope for the best?
Stolky

Postby Murray Foote on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:08 pm

I sent my lenses for repair directly to Nikon. If you have the repair number or can get it from the shop, you could ring Nikon and ask.
Murray Foote

Postby Stolky on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Murray Foote wrote:I sent my lenses for repair directly to Nikon. If you have the repair number or can get it from the shop, you could ring Nikon and ask.

Yeh, good idea, but I'm going through my local (Newcastle) Camera store and whoever is their generic repairer (could be Nikon but I doubt it??). Not sure if I should get a quote from Nikon too - but then I'll forfeit the $30 I've already paid of course just to find out if someone else is cheaper. I'd prob feel better about Nikon doing the repairs but.. ..not sure :?:
Stolky

Postby Murray Foote on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:35 pm

It would cost you $50 to get a quote from Nikon plus the cost of sending the lens back to you (and your cost of sending it to them). I'm just surprised that there are other people repairing Nikon lenses.
Murray Foote

Postby surenj on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Stolky wrote:Not sure If I should insist on a breakdown of the quote first

When you are paying nearly $500 for a service, it would be sensible to find out what service is exactly being provided. They should also give a limited warranty for the repair as well. Perhaps ask to speak to the shop owner or something. The reception might not know much. You could also gently ask them who they use for the repairs. It is likely to be Nikon Aust.
surenj

Postby aim54x on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Murray Foote wrote:It would cost you $50 to get a quote from Nikon plus the cost of sending the lens back to you (and your cost of sending it to them). I'm just surprised that there are other people repairing Nikon lenses.

I know of a few techs that can and do the work on Nikon and Canon/Tamron/Tokina/Sigma lenses. It may be worth asking around. Chances are that if it isnt Nikon it is probably someone that has worked for Nikon (or one of the other players) and/or is an accredited repairer.

I'd love to see the exact quote breakdown still though. But the lens would be a go ahead from me...the D70...a no go
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Stolky on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 am

Thanks all, I'll get back to you...
Stolky

Postby Stolky on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Just getting back to you all re: outcome..

aim54x wrote:I'd be interested to hear what the problem is diagnosed as and the breakdown of the quote, having run repairs at a Sydney camera store for a bit over a year.

Got the Lens (& unrepaired body) back about a month ago from repairer (still don't know name :oops: some guys name?? somewhere in Sydney? Ha!), anyway, service/repair was as follows:

and I quote:

"Dismantle the lens and remove optics as necessary to replace ultrasonic autofocus motor & recalibrate as required. Adjust the focus points."

$443 repair + $30 postage/quote. (A little pissed about the extra $30 I paid upfront as they said it'd be absorbed into the $443 - but, a small quibble - poor communications though..)

Tested in shop when received (on store D90) - all good so far. So great to hear that familiar focus-lock/beep I've missed for ages!! ..We'll see how it performs when I get my D700...
Stolky

Postby Stolky on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:21 pm

..and 6mth warranty.
Stolky

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Glad to hear you had a reasonable resolution.
Thanks for the feedback
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby aim54x on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Good to hear that your lens is back and working

Stolky wrote:"Dismantle the lens and remove optics as necessary to replace ultrasonic autofocus motor & recalibrate as required. Adjust the focus points."

Does not sound like a quote from any of my techs (well the ones I used to work with)
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Nikon