Nikon announces new 40mm Micro lens

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby gstark on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Straight from the press release.

Nikon Australia wrote:Nikon is pleased to announce the release of the AF-S NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G, a DX-format Micro lens offering a focal length of 40mm and a maximum aperture of f/2.8.

The bright and fast 40mm f/2.8 enables shooting as close as 0.163m for capturing life-size images in incredible detail. The lens offers a number of convenient features such as the built-in Silent Wave Motor that enables the quiet auto-focus - vital to close-up photography of insects and animals - and two focus modes - M/A (auto-focus with manual override) and M (manual).

The compact and lightweight 40mm lens is the latest addition to Nikon’s line-up of affordable consumer lenses. It is the perfect addition to any kit, ideal for those who are looking to experiment with Micro photography. The AF-S NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G will be available from Nikon stockists from 25th August- RRP $449.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Nikon announces new 40mm Micro lens

Postby ATJ on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:41 pm

An interesting looking lens. It might be good for underwater work.
ATJ

Postby radar on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Interesting lens, wouldn't have expected this one. I guess they had the 60mm full frame, so brings in the equivalent lens for DX.

However, sorry for the bitching, but when will Nikon Australia fix their pricing? They have $449 RRP while in the USA, it's been announced at $280 :evil: even taking into account GST :roll:
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby ATJ on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 pm

radar wrote:However, sorry for the bitching, but when will Nikon Australia fix their pricing? They have $449 RRP while in the USA, it's been announced at $280 :evil: even taking into account GST :roll:

It is their loss. I don't think I have ever bought a Nikkor lens in Australia - oh, expect for the kit lens with my N801s from 1991.
ATJ

Postby chrisk on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:50 pm

you cant market a lens like this for the d5100 and the new breed of dslr video cameras without VR. nikon is missing a trick here. as someone who is shooting alot of dslr video at the moment, VR is pretty important.

you cant have one without the other. cant say on one hand what a great lens for video and then ignore stabilisation.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby surenj on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Rooz wrote:shooting alot of dslr video at the moment, VR is pretty important.

This looks like a macro lens so maybe that's why no VR. Imagine the RRP if they included VR though. :wink:
surenj

Postby radar on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:03 pm

Rooz,

it is a macro lens, only 40mm, f2.8 and lightweight, so not having VR should not be too much of an issue. Sure VR would have been nice for video, but that is not exactly the target for this lens, certainly not from reading the press releases. On the USA press release, there is a mention that it would work nicely with HD video but only a "minor" mention. Nikon have plenty of VR DX lenses that have VR so in order to keep the cost down, not having VR is probably a good compromise.
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby aim54x on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:39 pm

The one thing that this says to me is that Nikon is keen to keep DX. A Micro Nikkor 40mm f/2.8 DX sounds logical, but Tamron and Canon both have a APS-C dedicated 60mm macro's so it seems to be an interesting move at the same time. i guess this lens should be cheaper than the Tamron alternative, and work nicer as a normal prime alternative (a bit like the 60mm as an alternative to the 50mm). As for VR, I dont care that it is absent
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby chrisk on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:52 am

I dont think vr would have added more cost at this level. The 18-55 and 55-200 lens' didnt have any price increases when they got vr. And sure nikon have plenty of vr glass but not small primes they dont. The 35 and 50, neither have vr. The focal length and aperture isnt that relevant with video like it is with stills so the old rule of well, its a short focal length so vr isnt as important doesnt apply. For video vr is very important regardless of the focal length or aperture. Look at the 16-35 which i use for video all the time, vr is always on and makes a great difference even at 16mm.

All im saying is you cant have your cake and eat it, if you are going to sell video in dslr as nikon are, and market it as a competitive tool, tehn you need to support it with the glass. Imho, this is a short sighted and confused nikon without clear direction on how video can be a serious selling point in dslr. Times are changing and nikon need to move with that.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Return to Nikon