Nikon announces the Nikon 1

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Two new mpdels, and a whole new system, that they're claiming to be the fastest cameras in the world.

These are compact sized cameras, meaning that they're larger than the Olympus PEN and Sony NEX series.

I'm just waiting for them to give us the meat. Right now it's mainly background and marketing speak.

Full HD video, with AF on video as well.

I'll be updating this post directly from the media event as it happens.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Nikon announces the Nikon 1

Postby surenj on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:06 pm

:shock: I knew that nikon would MILC the MILF. :mrgreen:
surenj

Postby Steffen on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Ha, 1 system to rule them all ;)

Calling the new system "1" opens up whole new naming opportunities for forthcoming models. Hitherto, the fixture was a letter denoting the system (like "F" or "D") and a number was added to signify the model's place in the pecking order. Now, the fixture is the number 1, to be accompanied by any combination of letters to denote whatever Nikon wants them to.

Reading "1 Nikkor" on the front of lenses does look a bit funny, though ;)

The exciting bit is going to be the (partial?) compatibility of current Nikkors.

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Steffen wrote:The exciting bit is going to be the (partial?) compatibility of current Nikkors.

Full.

Depending upon how you define full. But any F-mount glass should fit, with the adaptor. We don't yet know of the adaptor will have any electronics to provide AF etc, but the glass will fit. I don't know what any exposure compensation factor might be, either.

The cameras they had there today just got of the plane from Tokyo yesterday, and they're (Nikon people) still very much in familiarisation mode themselves. Many questions were put on notice.

Here's a few highlights, from my quick hands on.

Build quality is superb. That is the only word for it. The V1 feels bloody brilliant in the hand. The 10-30mm has what seems to be a textured rubber grip on the zoom ring, but the texturing is so slight, that it's difficult to feel it. But it feels good in the hand. The body is larger than I expected - maybe a similar size to their older film compacts, although it is somewhat thinner, I believe.

And the white body is uber-stylish looking.

All of the lenses have built-in VR, which is controlled through the menu system settings. At the wide end - where I like to play, the 10mm lens isn't wide enough for me. I asked about a 6mm, but all they could tell me was that they don't know; there are more lenses in the pipeline, but they simply don't know themselves. Crop factor is 2.7, which makes the 10mm the equivalent of a 27mm, hence I need something wider to get to around 18 or 20.

However, at the other end of the scale, think about what that does to my 80-400 lens.

The sensor size is smaller than what I'd like, but the Nikon Japan person made the statement that sensor size no longer equates to image quality. That's a very interesting statement to be making, and so it'll be interesting to see what sort of results this camera can turn out.

The shooting paradigm has undergone quite a few changes of late, and the Nikon 1 is going to do its bit to do even more shifting.

How often do you put the camera to your eye just after something that you want to capture has happened? The N1 can deal with that, and it can start taking photos, effectively, before you do. And it can shoot a burst of 20 images, from which it will select what it believes to be the best 5, an d you choose the best of those. All 5 images remain on your card though.

For the sports shooter, how does 60fps sound? Each image individually focused?

And movies are fully integrated. 20 minutes at full HD. While you're shooting your movies, depress the (still image) shutter button to take up to 20 still images, while the movie is being recorded.

Slow motion, at 400fps or 1200fps.

Metering seemed to be very accurate, dealing with a very contrasty brightly lit scene with no issues at all.

The V1 has an electronic eye level viewfinder, similar to that on the Sony A77, but with much less lag on the display. it seemed very close to acceptable for me.

2 -lens kits will be the go, but no pricing as yet.

Time to catch my breath.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:24 pm

My initial reaction was probably Yaaaaawn :roll: but reading a bit more about it, looks interesting. My wife was asking for something better then her G10, something like a 4/3 Lumix. This looks like a reasonable alternative and that 10-100 PD zoom looks very interesting as she wants to be doing more video.

http://mynikonlife.com.au/gear/nikon-1/nikon-1-lenses
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby chrisk on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:43 pm

gstark wrote:For the sports shooter, how does 60fps sound? Each image individually focused?

not quite...AF is locked on the first frame i believe.

sensor size is too small and no flip screen is a deal breaker; not to mention that the V1 is the ugliest camera i have seen in quite some time. no sale nikon.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:01 pm

I agree with Rooz - that is one awfull looking camera from the front.

It always amuses me to hear about the amazing quality of the 1080 movie modes on this and other cameras. Let’s face it digital movie cameras have been around for sometime with minuscular sensors producing excellent imaging - BUT, that is not a still image :roll:

The Nikon V1 camera with 10-30mm lens kit will be available for a rrp of $899.95 in the States so expect to pay around $35,000 in this country :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:22 pm

sirhc55 wrote: expect to pay around $35,000 in this country :wink:

Plus GST and more if through Hardly Normal.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby surenj on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm

I can see the coolness of this camera but also concerned about the amount of background blur etc. Everything will be sharp so to speak.

gstark wrote: white body is uber-stylish looking.

Will go with storm trooper costume. :mrgreen:

Are there any image samples??

This article is a reasonable explanation for the small sensor.
http://dpreview.com/articles/9716229576/why-make-a-small-sensor-mirrorless-camera
surenj

Postby biggerry on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:35 pm

surenj wrote:I can see the coolness of this camera but also concerned about the amount of background blur etc. Everything will be sharp so to speak.

gstark wrote: white body is uber-stylish looking.

Will go with storm trooper costume. :mrgreen:

Are there any image samples??

This article is a reasonable explanation for the small sensor.
http://dpreview.com/articles/9716229576/why-make-a-small-sensor-mirrorless-camera

samples here

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/bodies/v1/sample.htm

edited: i don't know why links dont work when you put img tags around them :) :roll:
Last edited by biggerry on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:15 am

Thanks Gerry.

Nice ISO 100 samples. Looking at the ISO 400 sample, you can see some noise ine the underexposed area but hard to be sure. It's wise that they limited this to 3200.
surenj

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:22 am

Rooz wrote:
gstark wrote:For the sports shooter, how does 60fps sound? Each image individually focused?

not quite...AF is locked on the first frame i believe.

Ok, it'll track focus at 10fps, fixed focus at 60fps. There's also a 30fps mode ...

And, regarding the F-Mount adapter, from their brochure ... "Any NIKKOR lens you use will attach easily and securely to the F-mount adapter, and if you use AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses you can still make full use of the incredible Nikon 1 autofocus system."

sensor size is too small and no flip screen is a deal breaker; not to mention that the V1 is the ugliest camera i have seen in quite some time. no sale nikon.

The flip screen was not used for two reasons: it makes the camera bigger, and they couldn't get the same resolution on the screen. (we asked). Image quality was surprisingly good, and especially given the sensor size, and even on the rear screen, the images truly popped. Face detect was also good; it was picking up five people sitting around a table.

My first impression was that the V1 was ugly too. Then I held it in my hand; it's actually very nice, and it feel very good and well balanced.

Of far more importance to me is the effect of the 2.7 crop factor at the wider end of the lens spectrum: even the 10mm resolves to a 27mm equivalent, and while it's wider than a normal lens, it's not in the realm of even a true wide.

sirhc55 wrote:It always amuses me to hear about the amazing quality of the 1080 movie modes on this and other cameras. Let’s face it digital movie cameras have been around for sometime with minuscular sensors producing excellent imaging - BUT, that is not a still image

No .... but while you're shooting your video content, you can actually shoot up to 20 still images while pressing the shutter release button.

We were told release is set for mid October, and I'm asking for a review unit ASAP (approx two weeks, which is just before release).

My suggestion is that you wait until you can have a play with one; it's really suprisingly nice.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:24 am

surenj wrote:Looking at the ISO 400 sample, you can see some noise in the underexposed area

:agree:
It looks to be about the same as my D200 at 800 ISO. So much for sensor size being irrelevant.
Also all the photos I have seen are brightly lit. WHat are they trying to hide that might be lurking in the shadows?

gstark wrote:Any NIKKOR lens you use will attach easily and securely to the F-mount adapter, and if you use AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses you can still make full use of the incredible Nikon 1 autofocus system.

Except that in the photos I have seen there do not appear to be any contacts in the adapter. So just how are G series lenses going to work?
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/accessories/mount_adapter_ft1/index.htm
For that matter, how is the lens going to power the focus motor?

As Jeremy would say: What were they thinking?
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:
gstark wrote:Any NIKKOR lens you use will attach easily and securely to the F-mount adapter, and if you use AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses you can still make full use of the incredible Nikon 1 autofocus system.

Except that in the photos I have seen there do not appear to be any contacts in the adapter. So just how are G series lenses going to work?

Just because we can't see the contacts in the photos doesn't mean that they're not present. But tbh, there's none of the adapters in the country as yet, and just six of the cameras, which arrived on Tuesday evening.

I've asked for a review unit, along with the f-mount adapter. it's only a couple of weeks till these will be in the stores, so let's wait and see, rather than speculate.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Steffen on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:42 pm

Actually, if you zoom in somewhat you can faintly make out the end of the contact strip.

Cheers
Steffen.
Steffen

Postby surenj on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:44 pm

surenj

Postby Matt. K on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Not what I was hoping for. I wanted a Fuji Finepix killer. Rangefinder type with large sensor and interchangible lenses. Looks like Fuji might get my money. :(
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby chrisk on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:48 pm

call me daft but i only just realised that god awful "1" on the front of the camera...is actually ON the front of the camera. i thought it was just on the mockups. that is seriously fugly as all hell. cannot believe nikon could have designed such a beast. perhaps they are hoping its gonna be so ugly its cute...
chrisk

Postby photohiker on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:19 am

I wonder who the target market is for this cam?

Its roughly the same size and weight as the other compact mirrorless options, but its sensor is quite a bit smaller. Lenses seem big and slow. Its almost as if they reduced the sensor size at the last moment, leaving a larger system with a small sensor...

60fps at full res is impressive, fast focussing not such an issue with a small sensor DoF.

Step up for a P&S shooter, perhaps, but for the price they can have just about any other mirrorless.
photohiker

Postby surenj on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:01 am

photohiker wrote:I wonder who the target market is for this cam?

I think their strategy is to make sure that the P&S are tempted to upgrade. They want the DSLR users to have a DSLR in addition to this camera(that's not going to work though) Once the P&S users upgrade and see how woeful it is, then they will upgrade to DSLR. This way they would have sold all three genres of camera to the same user. :twisted: :violin:

Sensor size is not a major consideration for a P&S user per se. This will sold as the inbetween option. "It's small and will give you pictures like a professional camera but with a tiny size". P&S users will gobble this up. Perhaps the Nikon branding will help this push through in the corridors of Hardly Normal and the like.

Don't forget that in Japan, this may become a fashion accessory and nothing else will matter if it does. [doesn't matter if it's ugly]
surenj

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:50 am

surenj wrote:
photohiker wrote:I wonder who the target market is for this cam?

I think their strategy is to make sure that the P&S are tempted to upgrade.

Correct.

They want the DSLR users to have a DSLR in addition to this camera(that's not going to work though) Once the P&S users upgrade and see how woeful it is,

Er, no.

By what basis are you saying that the images are "woeful"?

For those who want a smaller camera than a DSLR, but with interchangeable lenses, and who want to stay within the family, this could be a big winner.

And consider this aspect: Canon do not yet have a point of presence in the MILC market. There is potential to steal sales from the high end Canon PHDs, because the IQ and feature set here, if the price is right, be quite compelling.

Sensor size is not a major consideration for a P&S user per se. This will sold as the inbetween option. "It's small and will give you pictures like a professional camera but with a tiny size". P&S users will gobble this up.

Correct on all counts.

Perhaps the Nikon branding will help this push through in the corridors of Hardly Normal and the like.

Unlikely.

Don't forget that in Japan, this may become a fashion accessory and nothing else will matter if it does. [doesn't matter if it's ugly]

"Ugly" is a very subjective term. I've been called both "attractive" and "politically correct". Go figure. :)

But seriously, ugly is subjective, and I have seen - and continue to see - some really butt-ugly cars coming out of Japan, yet people buy them.

I wasn't impressed with my initial look at the V1, but that changed as soon as I held it in my hands. Similarly, the first time that I saw an SLK with silver paintwork and the red interior, I thought "oh shit"; then I sat in the car ... :) :) :)

And in all seriousness, since when is the way a camera looks any indication of its functionality? Does a Rollei TLR look good?

Does it matter?

Again, I've played with the camera, and although, Like Matt, it was not what I was hoping for, it was impressive nonetheless. I strongly suggest waiting a couple of weeks until you can have a play. Then feel free to offer an informed opinion. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:20 pm

gstark wrote:By what basis are you saying that the images are "woeful"?

Gary, this was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Apart from a few samples flying around the web, there is no evidence to back this up! :D For the poweruser (not really the target market) they'd want reasonable ISO3200 which is at the upper limit of this camera (I've seen a few ISO6400 samples). For the P&S user, this may be enough. As you say, we will have to wait.

gstark wrote: Perhaps the Nikon branding will help this push through in the corridors of Hardly Normal and the like.
Unlikely.

Without any definite evidence, I'd say that this could a factor. If it was up to a P&S user, and they could have either a Canon, Nikon or a Pentax/Panasonic camera at the same price (same quality as well as touted by the salesrep), I reckon one would be biased towards the big players which would be Canonikon. This may not apply yo Japan though. They think differently.

gstark wrote:Does a Rollei TLR look good?

I agree that aesthetics are not a big deal for most users. Although for females this comes into play. Looking at the red/pink versions of this puppy, I'd say it may make a difference. Whether that difference is significant, is another matter. My guess is unlikely to be significant. I can't see any females from the P&S market wanting a interchangable lens camera. Few of my friends have upgraded to G12s and the like. They didn't like the EPs. Again it would be nice to see what any market research may say about the matter.

gstark wrote:Canon do not yet have a point of presence in the MILC market. There is potential to steal sales from the high end Canon PHDs, because the IQ and feature set here, if the price is right, be quite compelling.

Canon seems to be one year away [rumoured of course] from getting one on the market. I guess it's possible to steal some from Canon. If the same stolen user upgrades, they may well buy a nikon I guess depending on their satisfaction.
surenj

Postby photohiker on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:42 pm

If the target market is P&S users, then there are plenty of shiny toys in the market already. Apart from the Nikon name, I can't see an advantage. If the 1 spits out better images than the m4/3's, Nex, Samsung, etc then it may have a show but I'm sceptical that it can with that sensor size. I guess we'll see, just like we did for the m4/3rds.

This is Nikon we're talking about here, but we seem to be talking in terms like 'good enough', not 'best' - Is this the Cayenne of the camera world?

It strikes me how positive our host is to this new small sensor camera when compared to a discussion we had in the distant past about similar (MILF) cameras with larger sensors that were I believe at the time only announced.

:biglaugh:

You've changed Gary. Good for you!

Michael
photohiker

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm

photohiker wrote:If the target market is P&S users, then there are plenty of shiny toys in the market already. Apart from the Nikon name, I can't see an advantage.

There probably isn't one.

My point being that those who will be buying PHDs will be more influenced by the well dressed young man behind the counter than by any knowledge of photography, or names in the photographic realm.

If the salesperson suggests "buy Sony", what brand do you think Mr Joe Public will be likely to buy?

If the 1 spits out better images than the m4/3's, Nex, Samsung, etc then it may have a show but I'm sceptical that it can with that sensor size. I guess we'll see, just like we did for the m4/3rds.

The issue here is that Nikon have stated that sensor size is no longer an issue in terms of IQ. I'm yet to be convinced on that, but the images we saw (and made) last week were quite impressive. I'm keeping an open mind, and especially given the quality that I did see.

You've changed Gary. Good for you!

I'm always flexible. Hell, I've even bought myself a pushbike!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:35 pm

gstark wrote:I'm always flexible. Hell, I've even bought myself a pushbike!

But have you ridden it?
ATJ

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:57 pm

ATJ wrote:
gstark wrote:I'm always flexible. Hell, I've even bought myself a pushbike!

But have you ridden it?

Yes.

Twice!

Once, in the parking lot, at the station, following my Saturday night show. Or Splaturday night show, as it turned out. :)

But last Splaturday, Centennial Park, two laps.

Of the little beginners circuit that they have in the south west corner of the park.

Without falling off, or hurting myself.

Or anyone else.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chrisk on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 pm

gstark wrote:And in all seriousness, since when is the way a camera looks any indication of its functionality?

it doesnt. but that doesn't preclude the designers of cameras from making equipment pleasing to the eye or its tactile feel. that thing is just terrible looking.

Does it matter?

yes. imo it does. zeiss glass to me is a great example. it is beautiful....just beautiful to look at and hold. sure that may make me very strange to say that...but honestly...it just is. :lol:

it matters when its butt ugly the same way it matters when its gorgeous. and if i recall correctly you were quite critical of sony's butt ugly offerings in dslr and very complimentary of the gorgeous looking fuji X100. so it would appear that not only does it matter to others, it also matters to you. lol

but seriously, i absolutely believe that the aesthetics of the equipment we use is an important ingredient to the overall package.
chrisk

Postby surenj on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Rooz wrote:but seriously, i absolutely believe that the aesthetics of the equipment we use is an important ingredient to the overall package.

True, but you'd still buy it if it was the class leader in image quality right? You'd still be tempted to have a smaller package than your D3100 etc... :wink:
surenj

Postby chrisk on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Well considering its in a class of its own with a 2.7 crop sensor, good chance its gonna be a class leader. lol

Of couse iq is the main ingredient...but its not in spite of everything else. Besides there hasnt been a head and shoulders class leader in cameras for some time. Most manufacturers are there or there abouts.

Besides, its a moot point for me...it could be class leader by some distance and i still wouldnt buy it cos it hasnt got a flip screen.
chrisk

Postby surenj on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 pm

Rooz wrote:Well considering its in a class of its own with a 2.7 crop sensor, good chance its gonna be a class leader. lol

:mrgreen:
surenj

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:21 am

Image quality may well be fine, that's not what the constraint will be, it's High ISO performance (HIP). There's also another factor that is probably more important and that's compactness. My measure of this is ability to fit in a coat pocket. The main limiting factor here is not the size of the body but the physical length of the lenses. 20mm to 30mm or even 40mm is OK, 60mm is not really compact.

In these terms and as a crude generalisation, X100 is HIP and compact, NEX is HIP and not compact, m4/3 is not so HIP and in most manifestations not so compact, N1 is not so Hip but compact. If (big if) NEX gets its act together to generate pancakes, collapsible zooms and manual primes, they could become compact enough to squeeze m4/3 even though Olympus and Panasonic have a much better lens range. N1 should have no trouble being compact due to their small sensor size.

The other question is what is going to happen with DSLRs. It seems that electronic viewfinders are now becoming viable. Thom Hogan suggests they could have an option to have a dual optical and electronic viewfinder. With the latter you'd put the mirror up to use it.
Murray Foote

Postby Steffen on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:38 am

I'm not going to buy it unless it has mirror lock-up :lol:

Cheers
Steffen.
Steffen

Postby surenj on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Murray Foote wrote: Thom Hogan suggests they could have an option to have a dual optical and electronic viewfinder. With the latter you'd put the mirror up to use it.

Or just use a transparent sensor. :mrgreen: Sorry, off topic.
surenj

Postby Steffen on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:49 am

Here's an interview about the Nikon 1 system, sounds like the sensor and electronics are quite advanced.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1316730752.html

EDIT: They also mention the target market - P&S shooters who want to upgrade to better image quality.

Cheers
Steffen.
Steffen

Postby surenj on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Steffen wrote:EDIT: They also mention the target market - P&S shooters who want to upgrade to better image quality.

Most of the DSLR users who were disspointed and wouldn't buy one, are spot on. :wink:
surenj

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:55 pm

surenj wrote:
Steffen wrote:EDIT: They also mention the target market - P&S shooters who want to upgrade to better image quality.

Most of the DSLR users who were disspointed and wouldn't buy one, are spot on. :wink:

Well, most of them have yet to see the camera.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:23 pm

gstark wrote:
surenj wrote:

Well, most of them have yet to see the camera.

I've seen one...was impressed, but not impressed enough to buy one....maybe if I could have a proper play I may be further impressed...
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby surenj on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:26 pm

gstark wrote:Well, most of them have yet to see the camera.

Hype can sell lots of cameras. Didn't the D7000 sell out before it hit the shelves?

On a similar vein, I wonder what type of customer was more prevalent for the micro 3/4? Was it the keen P&S user or the amateur DSLR user?
surenj

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:38 am

David Pogue is the tech writer for the New York Times.

Here is his take on the Nikon 1 (also the Pentax Q).
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby ozimax on Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:37 pm

Matt. K wrote:Not what I was hoping for. I wanted a Fuji Finepix killer. Rangefinder type with large sensor and interchangible lenses. Looks like Fuji might get my money. :(

I believe that there is a Fuji X10 coming out in late October with a zoom lens, sort of a small brother to the x100, with a smaller sensor but same exquisite build and, hopefully, similar image quality.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Murray Foote on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Except half the sensor size so presumably not equivalent quality - probably more equivalent to the Panasonic LX5.
Murray Foote

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:48 pm

Availability will be from October 20.

Nikon 1 J1 + 10mm f/2.8 kit = $899
Nikon 1 J1 + Twin Zoom kit = $1,099

Nikon 1 V1 + Twin Zoom kit = $1,399

That's about where I expected the pricing model to sit; perhaps a little higher than I would like. I've not yet performed the reality check of checking US$ pricing though
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Murray Foote on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:46 pm

$US650, $US900, $US1,150 from B&H. The pink one, though, costs $US30 more than the red and black ones.
Murray Foote

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Murray Foote wrote:$US650, $US900, $US1,150 from B&H. The pink one, though, costs $US30 more than the red and black ones.

Thanks Murray.

Add 10% to those numbers to get proper equivalencies, so it's pretty much as I said - a little on the high side.

We won't be seeing the pretty coloured ones till 2012, btw. Just B&W in the initial offerings.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:11 pm

I reckon the colored one a is a nice collecors item. :wink:
surenj

Return to Nikon