D7000 Memory Card Issues

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D7000 Memory Card Issues

Postby andrewt on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi All,

I just wanted to ask if anybody else here has had a similar issue as to what I'm experiencing at the moment. I only got my D7000 last week and having spent the weekend away, I found on numerous occasions with memory cards in (Sandisk 16GB Extreme's) both slots, that the camera would not shoot (as I have it set to not release when empty) as reportedly there are no cards in the memory card slots.

Haven't had any issues with the cards in any other camera or on the computer, so fairly sure it isn't a card issue. I have read on a few sites (DP Review Forums, US Photog Forums) that this does occur, but with cheepish SD cards (Which the Sandisk definitely aren't at $100 each).

Apart from that, it's a great camera and exceeded my expectations.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Andrew

Nikon D7000, AF-S DX 18-105mm Kit Lens, AF 50mm 1.8D, AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6D, SB-700
andrewt

Re: D7000 Memory Card Issues

Postby Marvin on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:29 pm

I haven't had this problem. Good luck with it!
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby Steffen on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:42 pm

As a new D7000 owner I'm going to follow this with interest. So far I've only used one slot, one type of card and haven't had any issue yet. I always format the card in camera when it comes back from the computer. Simply deleting old images gave me all sorts of issues in the past.

With your Sandisk cards, are you reasonably certain they're genuine and not cheap knock-offs?

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby andrewt on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:24 am

Steffen wrote:As a new D7000 owner I'm going to follow this with interest. So far I've only used one slot, one type of card and haven't had any issue yet. I always format the card in camera when it comes back from the computer. Simply deleting old images gave me all sorts of issues in the past.

With your Sandisk cards, are you reasonably certain they're genuine and not cheap knock-offs?

Cheers
Steffen.

I've always formatted in camera too. I'd hope they aren't cheap knock-offs as I paid about $120 each for them from JB Hi Fi not so long ago.

I read this could've been a firmware issue on <1.02, but mine came from the factory with the A/B 1.02 firmware.
Cheers,
Andrew

Nikon D7000, AF-S DX 18-105mm Kit Lens, AF 50mm 1.8D, AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6D, SB-700
andrewt

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:28 am

Test it with other cards if you can get your hands on them. Otherwise take it back to the store you bought the camera from and get them to sort it out :)
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:55 am

andrewt wrote:I'd hope they aren't cheap knock-offs as I paid about $120 each for them from JB Hi Fi not so long ago.

JB should be good, but you can validate the serial numbers on the Sandisk site.

Otherwise what PitoStitch said.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Remorhaz on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:44 am

No such problems with my D7000.

I have always had two cards in mine - a 32GB sandisk extreme in slot 1 and either a 16GB sandisk ultra in slot 2 or for the past few months my 8GB eyefi.

I did have some problems with the eyefi (in that the card appeared to be slightly too large and I had troubles getting it in the slot properly and as it wasn't making contact properly it wasn't always appearing to the camera) - I read online that others had similar issues (and the card is noticably thicker than my other normal cards). I carefully filed/smoothed it down using a nail file as suggested and all is good now.

When you push them into the slots are you getting that definite spring loaded attachment and ejection? When I was having the problem with the eyefi I wasn't getting this - basically card went in (but no spring loaded feeling) and to remove I couldn't just press to spring eject I had to physically grab the top lip of the card and pull it out.
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby andrewt on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:12 am

Remorhaz wrote:No such problems with my D7000.

I have always had two cards in mine - a 32GB sandisk extreme in slot 1 and either a 16GB sandisk ultra in slot 2 or for the past few months my 8GB eyefi.

I did have some problems with the eyefi (in that the card appeared to be slightly too large and I had troubles getting it in the slot properly and as it wasn't making contact properly it wasn't always appearing to the camera) - I read online that others had similar issues (and the card is noticably thicker than my other normal cards). I carefully filed/smoothed it down using a nail file as suggested and all is good now.

When you push them into the slots are you getting that definite spring loaded attachment and ejection? When I was having the problem with the eyefi I wasn't getting this - basically card went in (but no spring loaded feeling) and to remove I couldn't just press to spring eject I had to physically grab the top lip of the card and pull it out.

The cards seem to fit fine, and there is the spring when you load and eject the card. The card doesn't seem too big or small, appears to fit fine from the outside.

I rang Nikon this morning (no hold time!) and the tech rep I spoke to said that it sounds like an issue with the camera, either the SD card slots or a board issue, and to return it to store of purchase for replacement (Within the 2 week DOA period) which Is where I'm headed today.
Cheers,
Andrew

andrewt

Postby aim54x on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:22 pm

andrewt wrote:I rang Nikon this morning (no hold time!) and the tech rep I spoke to said that it sounds like an issue with the camera, either the SD card slots or a board issue, and to return it to store of purchase for replacement (Within the 2 week DOA period) which Is where I'm headed today.

That is good to hear that you are going to get a nice resolution. Hope camera #2 will bring you many, many years of enjoyment
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Mitre98 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Sony cameras are now comes with 4GB and 8Gb memory cards and i think its enough for us.
Mitre Steven
Mitre98

Return to Nikon