D4 Q&A

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D4 Q&A

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:48 am

I've been "invited" to an online Q&A this morning about the D4. Jasin Boland and Delly Carr will be talking about the camera.

Obviously no hands on (that was my first question when told of the invitiation) but if anyone has any questions that they'd like me to ask, please add them to this thread.

And I'm told I should be getting the F-mount adapter for the V1 this week. :mrgreen:
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: D4 Q&A

Postby aim54x on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:52 am

I will be very interested in hearing about your experiences with the FT1 adaptor
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:34 am

The sound of 66 frames, raw, in a single burst, is quite amazing.

In the video conference now, btw.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 pm

From what I gathered, there's just a couple of pre-production units in the country, running a V0.x version of the firmware

Both guys have been using them for a couple of weeks, and have yet to recharge the battery. By way of contrast, Delly was saying that with his D3s, at the end of a day's shooting, he'd have knocked the battery down a couple of notches. Jasin's hasn't yet moved.

Jasin works on film sets, and was saying that a lot of the video guys are impressed with the capabilities and may switch to the D4.

The ability to control the camera via WiFi or ethernet, and from something like an iPad, will be a game changer, and can potentially save much time (and money) when setting up special effects shoots.

And he said he's not noticed any image lag when shooting in this manner.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks for the update Gary. I was wondering on the battery life as that was certainly a complaint from some pros that if they have a D4 and D3s, now need a new set of batteries/charger. I would have been nice to have a backward compatible battery format at least. Not a problem I have anyway :roll:

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

D4 Q&A

Postby chrisk on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Andre, I read somewhere that the design of the new battery meant backward capability was not an option. It's probably a significant issue for guys running a d3x aswell rather than a d3s as you would expect that the d4 would be replacing the d3s in a pros kit.

Theres a lot to like about this camera and I have given this some serious thought cos I think it's fate that i end up with one....4 has always been my favorite number. It's my 40th this year. I drive an a4. I have an iphone 4, I live at number 31...3+1 =4. My bday is on the 26th...well, 6-2 is 4. My birthday is in may which is the 5th month which is 1 more than 4 but i have 3 kids, which is one less than four...so, well...thats 4 too.

I mean its meant to be, how many more signs do you freakin want ?
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby surenj on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:25 pm

Rooz,
I reckon you've made at least 4 good points about why you should buy this camera. :wink:
surenj

Postby Aussie Dave on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:02 am

Rooz,
Sorry mate but i'm not sure if you should drop the hammer on a D4 this year.
Should Nikon bring out a new D5 model next year this may be your fate....

Your birthday month is May (5th month)

Add your birthday numbers together then subtract the total of your favourite number, your car model, your phone model and your birth month and you get....
2+6+5+7+2=22
Minus
4+4+4+5=17
So, 22-17=5

It will also be your 41st birthday year (so 4+1=5).

Plus, your street number (3-1=2) + your 3 kids =5...

You might want to think long and hard about that D4! :biglaugh:

Dave

Ps. Apologies for straying so off-topic!
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby inmotion on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:14 am

Just show me actual images at 12800-25600 iso
as this means a D4 instead od a 200mmf2 for indoor--i hpoe :cheers:
jim
inmotion

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 am

inmotion wrote:Just show me actual images at 12800-25600 iso
as this means a D4 instead od a 200mmf2 for indoor--i hpoe :cheers:
jim

Delly shoots sports, and for a day at the cricket he says he's shooting a 600mm + TC; they both commented that they're feeling that the D4 is giving them another three usable stops.

Interestingly, (and although I often shoot at the fast end of the ISO scale) neither of them have done any shooting at the low end of the ISO scale. When I asked, Jasin said that he'd probably be using his D3 for studio work, but the D4 will be his primary weapon of choice.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby inmotion on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks Gary its hard to decide on a phantom--come on nikon(3 weeks to wait?) :cheers: jim
inmotion

Postby radar on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:43 pm

A good "live" shoot with Nikon and Scott Kelby. It was originally live as a hangout in Google+, you can watch it on YouTube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 4L4isV9Kw#!

The picture is not great quality but the sound is good.

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Steffen on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:46 pm

If you buy a D4 you'll be making films like this:
;)

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:51 am

inmotion wrote:3 weeks to wait?) :cheers: jim

Jim,

Who told you three weeks? That's suggesting mid February. In Wednesday's event, Nikon said that they no ETA, nor any pricing information. One of the other journos mentioned that a retailer was taking pre-orders at $8K, and the Nikon people said that this was merely conjecture.

Given the suggested US pricing, Au$8K sounds high, but given their history in terms of how they price things, probably not too far off the mark.

As for ETA, I'd be looking at 6 weeks and a waiting list.

radar wrote:It was originally live as a hangout in Google+

André,

The conference on Wednesday was also done via Google hangouts. I actually had to re-sign up to Google+ to get access, and I was actually very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the overall experience.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:42 am

gstark wrote:Given the suggested US pricing, Au$8K sounds high, but given their history in terms of how they price things, probably not too far off the mark.

Camera Pro in Brisbane have it on pre-order for $7k. Given that it includes GST, it is a bit more reasonable pricing then in the past.
http://camerapro.net.au/nikon-australia ... -4895.html

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby photohiker on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:52 am

radar wrote:Camera Pro in Brisbane have it on pre-order for $7k. Given that it includes GST, it is a bit more reasonable pricing then in the past.
http://camerapro.net.au/nikon-australia ... -4895.html

CameraPro wrote:Pricing is TBA. We do however guarantee to match or beat any advertised pricing for Australian stock at time of shipping.

First shipment ETA: Feb/March 2012

Don't fill out the loan application just yet. :)

Is CameraPro ok?

Michael
photohiker

Postby radar on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:59 pm

photohiker wrote:
Is CameraPro ok?

I have bought from them before but nothing too expensive like pro cameras. They are a real store, not just a web site and they are a Nikon Australia authorised reseller, so they sell Australian stock.

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Return to Nikon