Upgrade-fatiguitis?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Upgrade-fatiguitis?

Postby feldy on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:35 pm

as one of the first purchasers of a D70 in the country, followed by D200 [sold - almost recouped purchase price]; D300 [sold, lost a $ sh#tload]; D90 ... just wondered if anyone else is suffering from the above complaint? Am considering a D600 or even [dare I say it] a D800, but just worried about the pace of change in our new [digital] age - just wondering: is this becoming a consideration for many others?

Are you also considering the D600/D800 upgrade?

A
feldy

Re: Upgrade-fatiguitis?

Postby gstark on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:42 pm

You're back in Sydeknee?

Join us on Chewsday evening for the Sculptures by the sea and some Mex afterwards.

And I currently have a D800e that is making me very upset. Insofaras I can't afford to keep it. :)

It is sweeeeeeeeet.

Just got back from the Motor show. Not a whole lot to look at, but the new A-Class looks very enticing.

Even not looking at the AMG variant.

But no, the SLK ain't goin' anywhere.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby feldy on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:57 pm

ha... never doubted you'd have an 800E already; am sure it's bootiful!!

No haven't moved back - not sure what's happened? maybe address defaulted back, but still in sleepy Adelaide-town - "mid-central downunder", to you [not 'out West', for the record]!

Any word on D600 uptake? Am definitely going to get one, just a matter of when and from whom...

A :)
feldy

Postby Remorhaz on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:03 pm

For me it was D90 -> D7000 -> D600 with about 18 months inbetween each upgrade - although I've also accumulated lenses along the way as well - started with 1 and now have about 10 (but plan to sell most of my (4) DX lenses (but will have to replace with at least one more FX lens)
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby gstark on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:35 pm

feldy wrote:ha... never doubted you'd have an 800E already; am sure it's bootiful!!

It's only a loaner - a review unit courtesy of Nikon Oz.

But there's been quite a D600 take-up so far from what I can see. Nikon seem to have managed to get them into the supply chain much more effectively than in the past.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mj on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:10 pm

feldy wrote:Are you also considering the D600/D800 upgrade?

Always considering... but always trying my best to only upgrade when it makes sense to me.
It's possible that a D800e might be on my more-than-possible-maybe list but I'm also considering compact options as a tank of a body is not always the best tool for the job.
One thing we always have to keep in mind is that cameras, these days, are very much in the electronics consumable classification... each year or so there will be something bigger and better.
So with that in mind I'd strive never to buy the latest and greatest (at least not too soon) as you'll always be paying a premium then.... unless the new tech gives an advantage that shouldn't be ignored.
If you're considering a D600 at around $2k and you're not already sitting with a D700 I'd suggest that makes sense. The D800/e and D4 are a whole other matter needing a stronger justification at the $$$.
Photography is not a crime, but perhaps my abuse of artistic license is?
Mj

Postby aim54x on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm in for a long list of upgrades and sadly few offloads.....D40x (sold with reasonable return), D300/S5 Pro/D60/D80IR (all kept)....I was dissappointed that the D800/800e was not for me so I am stuck in the 3rd Gen with a D700 purchased new this year.

I am a bit over the speed of updates but also the direction that the cameras are headed....more and more pixels
Last edited by aim54x on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby phillipb on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:51 pm

The trick is to skip a few upgrades.
In my case I got a D70, skipped the D700 and got the D7000 I'll skip the D70000 so my next upgrade will be the D700000 :biglaugh:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby feldy on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:02 pm

phillipb wrote:The trick is to skip a few upgrades.
In my case I got a D70, skipped the D700 and got the D7000 I'll skip the D70000 so my next upgrade will be the D700000

:agree:
feldy

Postby Matt. K on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm a professional and still using my D300. Just had a picfrom it enlarged to the size of a barn door and it looked great so no need to upgrade at all. A stradavarius is useless in the hands of a butter-fingers....so don't get swept up in the new offerings unless you just like to have the latest...as a cure to mild depression. :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 am

Our digital upgrade path over the last 8 years has been Sony cybershot, D200 and then D800. [in between, I have upgraded to a Nikon F, F2, F3, Bronica ETRSi, Cambo 4x5 - old cameras are fun:)]. I cant think of many shots missed with the D200 (not necessarily captured at its best, but that is the phoographer's fault, not the camera's).
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby PiroStitch on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:48 am

I haven't followed the trend with new bodies. Just mainly upgraded according to my needs. If I found I was constantly hitting the limit of the camera, then I would look to upgrade. Having said that, I now have various makes for a specific purpose. D7000 for video, D700 for high ISO FF which my other cameras haven't got a snowball's hope in hell to match. Sure I could look to combine the two and get a D800, but not for now as the price will drop in a couple of years :D
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby aim54x on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:50 am

phillipb wrote:The trick is to skip a few upgrades.
In my case I got a D70, skipped the D700 and got the D7000 I'll skip the D70000 so my next upgrade will be the D700000 :biglaugh:

That would be the plan......When I got my D300 I said I would use it for 4-5 years (and I have....I just replaced it with a D700)....I wonder if it should have been a D3000 that I replaced it with :mrgreen:
Cameron
aim54x

Upgrade-fatiguitis?

Postby chrisk on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:56 am

Well I was going to skip this generation but my d700 didn't allow it. Mind you, the d800e is epic when it comes to IQ. I'm quite taken aback and am pretty certain that should I live to the ripe old age of 80, I still won't have the capability to match this tool.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby aim54x on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:43 am

Rooz wrote:Well I was going to skip this generation but my d700 didn't allow it. Mind you, the d800e is epic when it comes to IQ. I'm quite taken aback and am pretty certain that should I live to the ripe old age of 80, I still won't have the capability to match this tool.

I think the abilities of even my D60 are well ahead of my abilities........but that doesn't stop me from wanting more.....
Cameron
aim54x

Postby ATJ on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:46 am

I'm with Wayne on this and haven't really felt much need to upgrade often.

I started with the D70 in 2005 which was a great camera but did have its limits, particularly with dynamic range.

I went to the D300 in late 2007 and that had significant image quality improvements over the D70. It is still a fantastic camera which I use regularly. There's nothing at all wrong with it except that it doesn't do video.

I got the D7000 in April 2011 mainly for video but also so I'd have a second capable body - one body is frequently in the housing, especially on dive trips. I have been able to take some pretty good video and it would have been even better if I'd realised I had the video AF set incorrectly.

At the moment I don't see a need at all to upgrade the bodies. Full frame doesn't interest me. I still lust after lenses and better lighting.
ATJ

Postby ozimax on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:42 am

Matt. K wrote:A stradavarius is useless in the hands of a butter-fingers....

Now that is a quote Matt. Sounds like my ill-conceived attempt at violin-ing a few years back. I'll stick to the piano. :D
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:54 am

ozimax wrote:

Now that is a quote Matt. Sounds like my ill-conceived attempt at violin-ing a few years back. I'll stick to the piano. :D

A Steinway is useless in the hands of a butter-fingers ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 am

gstark wrote:
ozimax wrote:

Yes, but the ingredients for a sauce bearnaise and a hot pan, in the hands of a butter-fingers...
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:29 am

Reschsmooth wrote:
gstark wrote:
ozimax wrote:

Yes, but the ingredients for a sauce bearnaise and a hot pan, in the hands of a butter-fingers...

Please continue. I'm intrigued ... :rotfl2:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:03 pm

I'd been doing well on my D700 it's carried me through many a wedding and Antarctica and the US a few times. I'd convinced myself that the D600 and D800 weren't on the radar for me.

Then this past weekend I was shooting with a friend with a Medium format body... and got a bit envious of the IQ and resolution... (but not the price of the size). For less money and less body I could go a D800 and not feel so inadequate in the epeen measuring... but still leaning toward not pulling the trigger as the D700 is still serving me very well.
Alpha_7

Postby aim54x on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:I'd been doing well on my D700 it's carried me through many a wedding and Antarctica and the US a few times. I'd convinced myself that the D600 and D800 weren't on the radar for me.

Then this past weekend I was shooting with a friend with a Medium format body... and got a bit envious of the IQ and resolution... (but not the price of the size). For less money and less body I could go a D800 and not feel so inadequate in the epeen measuring... but still leaning toward not pulling the trigger as the D700 is still serving me very well.

Don't do it....why buy something you have already decided against? You crave medium format, getting a D800 will not fully satisfy that need...why not bank the money towards a medium format instead (who said you had to buy it when you get there?)
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:04 pm

aim54x wrote:
Alpha_7 wrote:I'd been doing well on my D700 it's carried me through many a wedding and Antarctica and the US a few times. I'd convinced myself that the D600 and D800 weren't on the radar for me.

Don't do it....why buy something you have already decided against? You crave medium format, getting a D800 will not fully satisfy that need...why not bank the money towards a medium format instead (who said you had to buy it when you get there?)

Haha Cam, at the moment I'm happy to keep my money in the bank, I still have the replacement $$ for the D200 and Tamron. My mate has dropped $40k on Medium format I could never justify that sort of expenditure - on the flip side a D800 wouldn't break the bank but would give me more then 12 MP to work with.. all in all I never make hasty decisions (except for my first decision to buy Nikon rather then Canon) so I'm not going to rush out and do anything... not when I'm not using my D700 enough in the first place :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Alpha_7

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:43 pm

You don't need to drop anywhere near $40k, as you can get some of the older backs for under $10k (yikes) and second hand bodies like the Mamiya 645FD that takes a Phase One or Leaf back. That said, it is a slippery slope - lenses, higher MP backs, and the costs blow out.

As you would know, you are also giving up a lot when going to MF, including digital:

1. Highest ISO is up to about 800
2. Frame rates are not measured in FPS but SPF :)

But, you do get a wider dynamic range and ISO down to about 32 (I believe).

I am thinking of hiring a MF back for my Cambo to see how it goes. Initial tests were not inspiring, but that was with only a bare amount of time to set up.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:57 pm

feldy wrote:... just worried about the pace of change in our new [digital] age - just wondering: is this becoming a consideration for many others?

Are you also considering the D600/D800 upgrade?

I'm still using my first two DSLRs but considering that's a D3 and a D3s, that's hardly surprising.

My first camera was an Agfa Isolette (folding 120 camera) but my first SLR was a Pentax SV in about 1978. Then there was a Cosina which died, then I switched to Nikon and got five bodies (Nikkorex, two Nikkormats, two FEs, for loading with different films), also a Widelux, a 1937 Rollieflex and then two 5x4 cameras, an Arca-Swiss and a Nagaoka. I got bored with the chemical darkroom in 1991 and essentially gave up photography until I went on a trip to NZ in 2004. That's about 11 cameras in 14 years, or 0.79 cameras per year for my film period.

After returning from NZ in 2004, I discovered the digital darkroom and got interested in Photography again. In my dual digital/ film period from 2004 to 2007, I purchased a Panasonic FZ20 then an FZ50 while I bought a Gaoersi 6x17 as my "serious camera". That's 0.75 cameras per year.

Since I got the D3 in 2008 I have shot entirely digital. I picked up a D3s in 2009 for its improved low light sensitivity and I'm now about to pick up a D800 for a trip I'm planning for next year because I want to have the capacity to print very large, I believe I understand pretty well how to optimise image quality and it may be useful in cropping for wildlife. So that's also 0.75 cameras per year.

Therefore, I don't think my rate of purchasing cameras has increased due to the digital revolution. One thing that's changed is that I used to purchase cheap second hand and all my digital cameras were purchased new. I think that increasingly many people will start to purchase second-hand again because most people don't print large (say, A1) and current DSLRs already offer much more than most people need, marketing notwithstanding. Of course if the objective is not to create great images but to have the latest and flashiest equipment, then that's a different criterion. And also of course, choice in cameras and lenses is only a small part of a great image.

I'm expecting to get a D800 rather than a D600 because I want as much control as possible and don't care how complex that gets. I'm expecting to get a D800 rather than a D800E because you can sharpen D800 images more and then image quality, not much different to start with, is effectively the same.
Murray Foote

Postby ozimax on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 pm

I have recently downgraded to an E-M5 and last week added a Sony RX100 miniscule P&S to my small travel bag. Seeing I spend most of my time travelling, I just couldn't keep on lugging my 5D/24-105/70-200ii around the world. I couldn't be happier with the M43 system. FF goodness it aint, but it's good enough for what I shoot at the present.

Having said all that, I do miss the sheer image quality from a FF camera and the magnificent Canon 70-200ii. I don't ever want to shoot FF again, (well, at least not for a while), because I may be tempted to upgrade again!? :oops: I don't know whether this post makes any sense.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby feldy on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:44 pm

ATJ wrote:I'm with Wayne on this and haven't really felt much need to upgrade often.

I started with the D70 in 2005 which was a great camera but did have its limits, particularly with dynamic range.

I went to the D300 in late 2007 and that had significant image quality improvements over the D70. It is still a fantastic camera which I use regularly. There's nothing at all wrong with it except that it doesn't do video.

I got the D7000 in April 2011 mainly for video but also so I'd have a second capable body .

I actually realised that I got a bit carried away after a while; so that while I would have loved a D700 I actually took a breather after the D90 [D70, D200, D300, D90 initially for second body]... desperately wanted full frame, but realised I was getting a little 'addicted'.

Actually glad I did now, because it seems the D600 & D800 are such fantastic units, but if I had a D700, I would NEVER have been able to justify getting one, whereas now I can [sort of]...

A :wink:
feldy

Postby feldy on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:08 pm

...having said that, realise they've only come out recently, but haven't seen as much evidence of purchase by forum members as in the past, hence my questions about U-fatiguitis...
feldy

Postby aim54x on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Mr Darcy and Reschsmooth are both D800 equipped. There has been a bit of talk about the D800/D800e not being the camera that certain members (myself included) wanted, combined with the stock issues, it is not hard to explain the slow uptake. The D600 only adds to the slow uptake as many are now forced to choose between the two cameras.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby feldy on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:32 am

interesting: http://nikonrumors.com/2012/10/23/nikon ... tter.aspx/

might wait till there's a final verdict on this, before I hand over those $$$..
Last edited by feldy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feldy

Postby PiroStitch on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 am

One well known cure for Upgrade-fatiguitis is Upgradius-brokerus :wink:
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby aim54x on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:11 am

PiroStitch wrote:One well known cure for Upgrade-fatiguitis is Upgradius-brokerus :wink:

LIKE!!! Definitely a very effective cure!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby feldy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 pm

feldy wrote:interesting: http://nikonrumors.com/2012/10/23/nikon ... tter.aspx/

might wait till there's a final verdict on this, before I hand over those $$$..

this dust thing seems like quite a unique issue; just wondered if anyone else had seen/heard anything on this?
feldy

Return to Nikon