4GB sd card in a pentax DS

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

4GB sd card in a pentax DS

Postby Big Red on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:38 am

Tried out the 4GB SD card today [ thanks birdy 8) ] and thought i better format the card in the camera before using it ...
BIG MISTAKE !!

The camera won't format the card and it would no longer work.
put another card back in the camera and had to format it but it then all worked ok so i put the 4GB card back in and connected the camera up to the computer... went to "my computer" and right clicked on the
"removable disc E " ... clicked "format" ... selected "FAT32" from the file system drop down menu ... selected "default" from the drop down allocation menu and then clicked start ...
All now back to normal but i must remember not to format the card in camera.
My camera is a Pentax DS with version 2.00 firmware but i think if using the previous firmware you might have to use "FAT" and not "FAT32"

2GB card should format ok with firmware 2.00 but i think only 1GB cards will format in the previous firmware.

Hope that helps someone [ probably me when i forget all about it :wink: ]
Big Red

Postby gstark on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:46 am

What do the camera specs say about the maximum capacity card that the camera can handle? This might still be an issue once you move beyond the 2GB boundary with your shots.

If the camera cannot address the card for formatting it, I'd be a tad wary of it actually managing to write important data like your images to it, especially at the big end of te card.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Big Red on Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:36 pm

there are several Pentax users with 4GB cards that get the required amount of pics on the card so it should be OK for me too [a couple have transend cards]
Before the firmware was updated to version 2.00 you could only use 1GB cards in the DS.
Big Red

Postby Big Red on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:17 am

it is something about the standard above 2GB that pentax does not support.
when it becomes official then pentax will recognise it.

in the meantime ... it still works good :roll:
Big Red

Return to Other