Crr-aack!

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Crr-aack!

Postby hangdog on Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:44 pm

Yesterday I received yraen69's old Fuji S1 Pro in the mail, and a very nice camera it is, too. I was looking forward to putting it through its paces this weekend.

So anyway, I thought, let's pop it on the tripod and take a few photos using the light tent. I have two generic Arca-compatible plates, so I bolted the bigger one on first -- hmm, bit of wobble, as there were small gaps on either side of the bolt, between plate and camera base.

I tried the smaller plate, which has a cork-lined upper. It fit a little better, but there was still a small amount of wobble. I'll just tighten it a *tiny, tiny* bit more, I figured -- that might remove the wobble.

***Crack!***

Oh bugger! Visions of broken plastic, inoperative circuitry and displaced sensors danced through my head.

I was almost relieved to see that I'd "only" sheared the metal tripod insert.

One trip to the Camera Clinic later, the S1 is in surgery. The replacement part will cost about $35-$40, and putting it in about $100+. Got off lightly, I'd say.

Now, I'm normally pretty careful with tightening small bolts, but this time I was just too eager to get going. Lesson learned...
hangdog

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:13 pm

Better change your avatar from hangdog to hanghead :)

Hope you ge it back soon :P
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Return to Other