Sony DSCN1 Help.

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Sony DSCN1 Help.

Postby ods on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:33 pm

Help! It's a long read, I know, but ...

My mate has a Sony DSCN1 that I was using on the weekend at the cricket. After taking around 90 shots or so, the camera died. It seemed like the battery ran out, but with the lens was still extended. I just assumed that the battery had died and said don't worry about it and leave it untill you get home, then charge it again. He got home, charged the battery, put the battery back in and the camera turns on for a split second before switching off again.

I went over last night to have a look at it, once the battery is on charge the light goes off around 10 seconds later, saying it is fully charged. I put the battery back into the camera and the same thing happens, on for a second then dies. If take the battery out then put it straight back into the camera, nothing happens, but if I put the battery into the charger for even 3 seconds, I can put it into the camera and the camera will switch on for a second then turn off again.

I went with my mate today to Lane Cover Electrical in Sydney today (they are a Sony authorized dealer) and was told they would look into it. I got a phone call this afternoon saying it was the "main board" and will cost $580 to fix. The camera is only 4 months old.

I find the price quite high, surely my mate is getting ripped off here? The staff there were very rude, wanting to charge us $60 just to try a battery, so I don't quite trust them. Has anyone either seen this problem before and knows what causes it, or know of any decent camera repair places in Sydney?

Thanks!
ods

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:11 pm

Not sure but sounds like a dead battery - does your friend have a second battery to try :?:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Re: Sony DSCN1 Help.

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:14 pm

Ok,

My first observation is "it's a Sony".

While I suspect that to be the real cause of any problems, let's look at how we can be constructive here. :)

ods wrote:I went with my mate today to Lane Cover Electrical in Sydney today (they are a Sony authorized dealer) and was told they would look into it. I got a phone call this afternoon saying it was the "main board" and will cost $580 to fix. The camera is only 4 months old.

Which prompts me to ask a question: Waranty, Warranty, wherefore art thou, Warranty?

At only four months old, this surely should be a warranty claim?

And if not, why not?

I find the price quite high, surely my mate is getting ripped off here?

Oh, absobloodylutely, but this is where we return to my original response: it's a Sony.

The staff there were very rude, wanting to charge us $60 just to try a battery, so I don't quite trust them.

Again, we return to my original response: it's a Sony. The seem (to me) to have a corporate arrogance and to have very little respect for customers.

That this is the case is sad, but of little help to your friend, I'm afraid.

Has anyone either seen this problem before and knows what causes it, or know of any decent camera repair places in Sydney?

I would start by persuing the warranty issue first of all. Even if, heaven forfend, this poor little camera is only subject to a 90 day warranty, I would still chase this aspect, because a consumer device should not fail this quickly.

If necessary, your friend may need to talk with Sony corporate, and failing that, he may find some friends at the Dept of Fair Trading.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ods on Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:43 pm

Thanks for the replies :)

Unfortunately, it was bought from Ebay and the user has since become unregistered.

My initial thought is that it was the battery as well, but after we coughed up the $60 we did try a battery. Same problem.

I know it's a sony, if I had anything to do with the purchase it wouldn't have been one!!
ods

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:28 pm

it was bought from Ebay

Local or grey stock?

It sounds grey, and it's starting to sound like your friend is up the poverbial without a paddle.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ods on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:12 am

gstark wrote:
it was bought from Ebay

Local or grey stock?

It sounds grey, and it's starting to sound like your friend is up the poverbial without a paddle.

Grey. Very very grey. I hope he has learnt his lesson!
ods

Postby Yi-P on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:38 am

For $580, I will just take the camera back and dismantle it myself, see whats interesting inside and put it into the bin after the little inspection.

For $580 is considered expensive even if you get to fix a DSLR camera. Not to speak with a Sony camera. Not worth it and tell your friend to save that $580 and buy couple of dinner and nice wines/drinks... enjoy life with it.

If he bought from ebay, it can be returned to ebay... Sell it out for "parts only" and im sure you will even get a couple dollars back with it :lol:
Yi-P

Postby ods on Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:26 am

Not sure what we will get for parts, but that's not a bad idea. Thanks :)
ods

Return to Other