hazy pics from K100D + Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

hazy pics from K100D + Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4

Postby servaasproducts on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:48 pm

Hi All

I just got myself a K100D 3 weeks ago, which came with a Sigma 18-50 f3.5-5.6. I am moving up from a Canon S3 IS, so I am learning all about different lens ranges and speeds.

I picked up a Sigma 28-70mm f2.8-4 on eBay for A$30 (US$24). In playing with this lens today, I find some of the photos come out hazy, such as these two:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1106/540 ... 7e0210.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1254/540 ... 9a24b3.jpg

They were shot in RAW, and converted to JPEG by Aperture. I haven't done any PP to them. If i click on "Auto Levels" in Aperture, it will fix much of the haze, but I want to learn and understand the cause, rather than how to fix it in PP.

About 10% of my shots with this lens come out like this. I thought is was flaring from the sun, which also occurs, but the 2 above were not pointed at the sunlight.

It is not occurring at a particular focal length. Any ideas what causes this?

Cheers

Jeff
servaasproducts

Postby phillipb on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:52 pm

Does the lens have a UV filter on it?

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby servaasproducts on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:34 pm

No, no lens filter on it Philip.
servaasproducts

Postby big pix on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:47 pm

Look through the lens and see if it is nice and clean and the elements or lens are clear...... if not it may need a clean
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Big Red on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:14 pm

the lens may be back focusing, have you tried it with manual focus?
Big Red

Postby Yi-P on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:04 pm

Look through the lens into a light, open the aperture fully by slightly moving the lever on the back on the lens, see if there is any sort of 'spider-web' looking stuff inside.
Yi-P

Postby servaasproducts on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:02 pm

Yi-P wrote:Look through the lens into a light, open the aperture fully by slightly moving the lever on the back on the lens, see if there is any sort of 'spider-web' looking stuff inside.
Not a spider web, but a "smudge" and some "spatters". I tried to clean it with a glasses cloth, but it doesn't rub off. It's as if it is on the other side of the glass, inside the lens.

How could that happen?
servaasproducts

Postby TonyH on Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:01 pm

How is the camera when you shoot in full sunlight and not in the shade?
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:15 pm

servaasproducts wrote:
Yi-P wrote:Look through the lens into a light, open the aperture fully by slightly moving the lever on the back on the lens, see if there is any sort of 'spider-web' looking stuff inside.
Not a spider web, but a "smudge" and some "spatters". I tried to clean it with a glasses cloth, but it doesn't rub off. It's as if it is on the other side of the glass, inside the lens.

How could that happen?

With improper storage, very easily.

If the lens has fungus, or other issues, then you'll see a reduction in contrast, or other problems with the images.

What do images shot with the other lens you have look like?

Is it possible for you to shoot pairs of similar images, but shooting first with one lens, and then trying to shoot the same image with the other lens?

This was we can isolate the problem to either a lens, or the body, or to user technique.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Other