This thing has me excited - Sigma DP1

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

This thing has me excited - Sigma DP1

Postby jamesw on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:23 pm

It's a compact, with a DSLR sized sensor. What Thom hogan was asking for a while back, basically. Very exciting.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08013108sigmadp1.asp
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Re: This thing has me excited - Sigma DP1

Postby Antsl on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:38 pm

The DP1 would be more appealing if it did not have that Fovean chip in it .... I'm not sure about it.
I would really love Nikon to do something with this concept though ... can you imagine the equivalent of the Konica Hexar with a D3 sensor in it .... or even the Nikon 28Ti digital equivalent!
Antsl

Postby Yi-P on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:43 pm

Oh wow, that sounds interesting. But there are couple things I'm questioning... How long will battery last with a large LCD and such big sensor inside? Will the built-in lens suffice to match (or surpass) the cheapest DSLR lens?

If them both are positive answers, then I think I found my P&S!! :evil:
Yi-P

Postby moz on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:23 pm

The problem with the Ricoh attempt was the generous start-up time and slow AF, so it was less of a pocket camera for photographers than a poseur camera for people that wanted a film-less rangefinder. Hopefully Sigma will avoid that, and ideally make it affordable too :D
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby Glen on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:34 pm

James, Leica http://www.leica-camera.us/photography/ ... s/d-lux_3/ (and the Panasonic equivalent) have had a model out for about a year with a 1" x 1.65" sensor. Similar but you can buy it now :D
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby ATJ on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:45 pm

Does it has shutter lag? That was my biggest complaint with my CoolPix cameras, especially underwater. You'd see a fish, point the camera at it and hit the shutter. By the time the camera took the picture, the fish had already found a mate, laid eggs and the fry were as large as the original fish.
ATJ

Postby methd on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:40 pm

Glen wrote:James, Leica http://www.leica-camera.us/photography/ ... s/d-lux_3/ (and the Panasonic equivalent) have had a model out for about a year with a 1" x 1.65" sensor. Similar but you can buy it now :D

correct me if i'm wrong but the sensor is 1/1.65" and NOT 1" x 1.65". If it was the latter, it'd be around medium format sensors.

the Leica is a 1 divide by 1/1.65" sensor which is = 0.60 " sensor = 15mm. That's still considered a P&S sized sensor.

the new sigma dp1 is 20.7mm (x13.8mm) sensor, which is a lot bigger and considered an AP-C sized sensor inside a P&S body.
http://www.lumensphotography.com
Nikon gear. D3x, D3s, D3 ... and lots of lenses.
methd

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm

moz wrote:The problem with the Ricoh attempt was the generous start-up time and slow AF, so it was less of a pocket camera for photographers than a poseur camera for people that wanted a film-less rangefinder.

Well, yes in terms of being for people that wanted a film-less rangefinder, but I don't see the poseur quality at all. Quite the reverse, in fact.

Most people, looking at it, wouldn't have a bloody clue as to what it was. Indeed, I think that people are more impressed when they see someone with a DSLR, especially a big one (or one with a grip) and a physically big lens attached. I've been out and about this week with the D300 + MB-D10 this week, and have received numerous comments about how good my camera is or must be. Remind me to put the 80-400VR on it tonight. :)

The public simply haven't got a clue, and while I would find a Leica RF far more impressive than, say, a D80, Joe Public would look at the two and pick the Nikon as being the more impressive camera. Poseur? Carry two D80s. Or greater. :)

Getting back to the Epson, the fact that it takes Leica glass is something that I find very appealing: it permits quality digital imaging from a very compact format. This can lead to very unobtrusive photography, provided that the camera has the appropriate performance as well. I don't know how the Epson actually performs, but I don't see how seeking the ability to produce high quality imaging from a quiet and compact body that accepts the best glass available makes one a poseur.

As to this Sigma ... I'll wait until I see it. Much has been promised from the Foveon sensor, but the reality is that if was that good, surely it would be in far greater use than is the reality?

And as to the press release ... let's hear it for marketing people, bless their pointed little heads.

Sigma Press Release wrote:Sigma introduced its digital SLRs, the SD9, SD10 and SD14 to the market in October 2002, November, 2003 and March, 2007. They have established strong support from a wide range of photographers, both amateur and professionals. Recently, demand for a compact digital camera with portability as well as high image quality has increased. In order to meet this demand, the new DP1 has been developed as a completely new type of camera with high image quality and features that would not be out of place in a full spec DSLR.

The first statement is factual. The rest ... a bloody fairytale.

Never let the facts get in the way of marketing bullshit, eh?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chrisk on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:12 pm

no VF either.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Glen on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:27 pm

MethD, well picked up, I checked the Leica website and you are right. I had been reading a few reviews on this camera in the last week due to a P&S Leica I bought my daughter breaking, one mentioned the big sensor and I thought said 1x1.65. At the time I thought it was bigger than the sensor in my D300. Naturally cant find the review in my cache so will put my misconception down to my old age and stupidity (I will probably find it and read1/1.65)
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:42 pm

Glen wrote:MethD, well picked up, I checked the Leica website and you are right. I had been reading a few reviews on this camera in the last week due to a P&S Leica I bought my daughter breaking, one mentioned the big sensor and I thought said 1x1.65. At the time I thought it was bigger than the sensor in my D300. Naturally cant find the review in my cache so will put my misconception down to my old age and stupidity (I will probably find it and read1/1.65)

That’s why I saw you in the bank - raising a loan for some glasses :wink: :lol: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Glen on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:04 pm

sirhc55 wrote:
Glen wrote:MethD, well picked up, I checked the Leica website and you are right. I had been reading a few reviews on this camera in the last week due to a P&S Leica I bought my daughter breaking, one mentioned the big sensor and I thought said 1x1.65. At the time I thought it was bigger than the sensor in my D300. Naturally cant find the review in my cache so will put my misconception down to my old age and stupidity (I will probably find it and read1/1.65)

That’s why I saw you in the bank - raising a loan for some glasses :wink: :lol: :lol:

Close Chris, I have them but wont use them :lol:
Thank You
Glen

Return to Other