Tutorial requests

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Fortigurn on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:23 pm

I have Photoshop CS2, and all I would really like to know right now is:

* How to create borders for my photos (aside from drawing huge empty rectangles around them with the rectangle tool)

* How to create decent titles/captions for my photos (I know how to use the text tool, but I would like hints on presentation)
Fortigurn

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:18 pm

I'll be working on these tutorials later on.

I haven't forgotten.

I just have a lot of crap I'm doing at the moment...
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Fortigurn on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:05 am

Thanks guys.
Fortigurn

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:28 am

Fortigurn wrote:I have Photoshop CS2, and all I would really like to know right now is:

* How to create borders for my photos (aside from drawing huge empty rectangles around them with the rectangle tool)

* How to create decent titles/captions for my photos (I know how to use the text tool, but I would like hints on presentation)

Fly to Sydney for the AW and attending the Photoshop workshop is another way to quick learning what you want to achieve.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Fortigurn on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:04 am

birddog114 wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:I have Photoshop CS2, and all I would really like to know right now is:

Fly to Sydney for the AW and attending the Photoshop workshop is another way to quick learning what you want to achieve.

It would be a little expensive. I live in Taiwan.
Fortigurn

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:09 am

Fortigurn wrote:
birddog114 wrote:

Yes, I know you're in Taiwan :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Fortigurn on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:01 am

birddog114 wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:
birddog114 wrote:

Yes, I know you're in Taiwan :wink:

Thank you. That's very useful.
Fortigurn

Postby Fortigurn on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:14 am

Ok, I've fooled around with PS-CS2, and found that an easy way to make borders is simply to use the canvas size tool. For this photo I enlarged the canvas size to create a border, and then added a little more to the bottom of the photo so that I could add a title.

The text tool in CS2 is pretty good now I'm used to it, but centering the text in the middle of the photo is still tricky. I think I might see if I can use the snap grid and ruler.
Fortigurn

Postby Dink on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:49 pm

You can add a guideline by going to

-> View -> New Guide

Dont worry about how to figure out a distance for the middle just type 50% into the box and make it horizontal or vertical for whichever you need and voila a guide appears. Using a percentage makes it easier than trying to work out an actual measurement.

Turn on Snapping by

-> View -> Snap To

Make sure Guides is ticked.

Another way to add a border is to put a stroke around the frame.
Hit the little f button at the bottom of the layers palette and it will bring up Layer Styles. Go to

Stroke

and choose a size, colour and change the outside box to inside and you have a stroke around your image.
Doesnt leave alot of room to put in a caption but it works well none the less.

There are other ways to add a border but they are better left for a full blown, properly written tutorial.
---Dink---
Dink

Postby Matt. K on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:18 pm

Fortigurn
The following action creates a thin black line around your image and then adds a white mat. The mat is wider at the bottom of the image for the inclusion of captions etc. The white mat allows the handling of the photo without having to put your fingers onto the image area. It also gives us a neutral space to place our image information. You may, on occasion, use a different colour for your mat, but only if it enhances the image.
1. Open an original, untouched image in Photoshop. Must be landscape orientation.
2. Click (WINDOW/ACTIONS). Uncheck Button Mode. Check (NEW ACTION) and type “landscape stroke and canvas”. Click (RECORD)
3. Select the entire image, (SELECT/ALL) or CTRL + A
4. Click (EDIT/STROKE). Set the pixel size to 16 and the colour to black. Click OK
5. Click (IMAGE/CANVAS SIZE). Change the measurement units to percentage and type 110% in each box. Click OK.
6. Return to canvas menu and add 1 cm to height of canvas and check the top middle square of the gray checkerboard. Click OK.
Stop recording. (Bottom left Action palette)
7. Now open an image in portrait orientation and repeat the above procedure. Name this action “Portrait stroke and canvas size”.
You can now add your border by clicking one button.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Fortigurn on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:02 pm

Thanks guys, that's terrific. I just hacked out a border and stuff using the canvas resize tool (results here), but your method Matt sounds much better.

Thanks also to Dink for help with guidelines. :D
Fortigurn

Re: Tutorial requests

Postby miikeboyle on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:11 pm

I am after a tutorial on making HDRs. I like the look of them but wouldnt have a clue on how to make them and what options affect the image.

Thanks
Miike
miikeboyle

Postby DVEous on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:17 pm

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sat May 03, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby junda on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:34 am

u can sign up with on going adobe tutorials sessions for their products in aus. i attended one of the masterclass and it was introducing both photoshop and lightroom
junda

Previous

Return to Post Processing