Arghhhhhh.... whats going on...

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Arghhhhhh.... whats going on...

Postby Bindii on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:31 pm

for some reason when I view a photo in photoshop I am getting different colours than if I view it through the normal way or if I open it in Paint Shop Pro..

My monitor is callibrated so one would think that I would be seeing the exact same colours right?... The difference is rather vast...not to mention depressing... its only just kinda happened in the last couple of days and I haven't changed any settings (unless someone 'aka the hubby who knows it all' has been playing when I havent been there...despite his ban from touching my computer)...

I am using CS2 although I have a copy of CS3 that I've yet to load in..

does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be?

*insert crying smiley here*
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby Yi-P on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:43 pm

Most likely that both photoshop and paintshop are setup in 2 different colour profiles. Photoshop loads profile from the photos to display it under your currently monitor profile (if that is set up right).

In photoshop, go into file-colour preferences. You will see a list of profiles that photoshop uses under different condition. See at RGB working space, I'm not sure of the setting, but most likely one is using AdobeRGB and one in sRGB (photoshop vs paintshop). And they both load up different colours.

Also check if you have 'preserve embedded profile' for colour managements.

I'm not sure for paintshop pro, but it should have its own colour management settings and its best idea to match both software with same profile.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert in this, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yi-P

Postby Bindii on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:49 pm

Photoshop is set at sRGB... I am not at home at the moment so I am not so sure on the paintshop pro one.. but its even different when I open a pic straight from the folder in 'preview'...not sure what thats called exactly 'windows viewer' perhaps?..

I callibrated the monitor with a spyder pro and yes I think its done correctly... :)
Bindii

Postby ATJ on Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:58 pm

PSP can use its own colour profiles and if you use them photos do look different, as if it is doubling up on the corrections. Ideally, you want to disable PSP's colour management and rely on Windows.

In PSP 9 it is File->Preferences->Color Management... and uncheck "Enable Color Management".
ATJ

Postby Bindii on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:39 pm

ATJ wrote:PSP can use its own colour profiles and if you use them photos do look different, as if it is doubling up on the corrections. Ideally, you want to disable PSP's colour management and rely on Windows.

In PSP 9 it is File->Preferences->Color Management... and uncheck "Enable Color Management".

Thanks for that guys.. I'm not at home yet but I will be sure to look and see if thats the problem when I get home.. :)
Bindii

Re: Arghhhhhh.... whats going on...

Postby Bindii on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:26 am

Okay guys I have bumped this thread cause I basically gave up worrying about the colour difference back then as I knew I was purchasing a new computer (which I have now done)... and the same thing is happening... *sob*..

I tried to follow the above instructions for the colour management thing but I am running on CS3 and its not there... *crying now*...

I am in the middle of editing a wedding and another recent shoot and I'm terrified to send them all off for printing in case the colours are all wrong.. the images are vibrant and 'alive' when viewed in photoshop.... but dull and lacking contrast in anything else I try to view them in..

can anyone help me please.. :)
Bindii

Postby Big Red on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:17 pm

Bindii wrote:Okay guys I have bumped this thread cause I basically gave up worrying about the colour difference back then as I knew I was purchasing a new computer (which I have now done)... and the same thing is happening... *sob*..

I tried to follow the above instructions for the colour management thing but I am running on CS3 and its not there... *crying now*...

I am in the middle of editing a wedding and another recent shoot and I'm terrified to send them all off for printing in case the colours are all wrong.. the images are vibrant and 'alive' when viewed in photoshop.... but dull and lacking contrast in anything else I try to view them in..

are you taking the pics in DNG ?
my colours went weird when i used it for a while ... changed back to PEF RAWs and all was good again!
Big Red

Postby Shorty on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:56 pm

Bindii wrote:Okay guys I have bumped this thread cause I basically gave up worrying about the colour difference back then as I knew I was purchasing a new computer (which I have now done)... and the same thing is happening... *sob*..

Just on your monitor or do they look that way on another monitor as well...??? Have you sent the photos to someone else to see how they look??
dviv wrote:
You could coat a piece of excrement in white plastic, call it the iCrap and people would buy it.
Shorty

Postby Bindii on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:30 pm

Big Red wrote:

are you taking the pics in DNG ?
my colours went weird when i used it for a while ... changed back to PEF RAWs and all was good again!

Nope all are shot in raw... :)

Shorty wrote:Just on your monitor or do they look that way on another monitor as well...??? Have you sent the photos to someone else to see how they look??

They say they look fine... i emailed some to my work puter and they looked flat compared to how they look in photshop at home... but I don't have photoshop on my work puter so I couldnt test them that way... :)
Bindii

Postby Vodka on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Are you using Adobe Camera Raw to open/convert your RAW images? If so, at the bottom of the Camera Raw window, does it say Adobe RGB or sRGB?

Ben
D3 | D300
Vodka

Postby AndyL on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:15 am

Sue,

It could be an issue resolved with soft proofing. This site might be of useful.

FWIW, I have been through the whole thing in the past week; what a headache. Today I calibrated my (crappy) laptop monitor and installed Firefox 3.0beta2 for Windows (which is stable although it broke a couple of extensions) and enabled CMS within the browser. The whole world is different now. I now see images as intended ; same as PS, but that does not help much when it comes to what other people see in non CMS enabled browsers, which is probably 90% of the planet.
AndyL

Return to Post Processing