Help on Panorama

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Help on Panorama

Postby CraigVTR on Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:35 pm

High guys. Shot this last November when I was in Katoomba and have just found some time to play around with it. After stitching in Panorama Factory there is this strange colour shift through the image. It seems to be in the raw files so I would think I need to do a colour balance across all the images before I do the stitch job, but I am wondering what caused it. The camera was set to auto white balance, I used a grad nd filter and I may have used a polariser. Me thinks the wb and the polariser may be the problem. Any suggestions welcome.

Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Re: Help on Panorama

Postby Bob G on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:35 pm

Craig -

I am no expert on panoramas but certainly the Auto WB is a potential problem but you should be able to match the Colour temp. on the individual Raw Images in Capture or Photoshop before you merge them.

The polariser however is a bigger problem and you would need to do some serious PP work in the merged photo on the sky in particular to overcome this
Bob
"Wake up and smell the pixels!"
Bob G

Postby dm_td5 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:26 pm

stubbsy made a comment a CPL in a Pano thread of mine. I hadn't actually considered the effect a polarizing filter would have, thinking it simply work in with the picture as you expect for a single shot. I'm curious about this and I suspect that if it is the CPL causing the issue then it will be cyclicle in the pano and occur at a repeating number of degrees within the camera rotation.
D.M. - D200
12°11'34"S 136°46'24"E or there abouts
dm_td5

Postby Oneputt on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:44 am

I totally agree that this was caused by the CPL. In doing an HDR you need to remove the variables so that the merging images are as close as possible to having the same characteristics. This is almost impossible with the use of a CPL.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Joshman on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:07 pm

ok, let's ask the simple question first, are all your shots exposed the same? same shutter speed? aperture? ISO? if they are constant through out your panorama images, then i would have to agree with it possibly being the CPL.

as for the CPL affecting a HDR picture, i would disagree, as the only variable in exposing for HDR bracketing is (should be) your shutter speed. everything else is a constant.
Canon 400D | Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS | 50mm f1.8 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Sigma EF-530 DG SUPER ETTL-II
flickr
Joshman

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:00 am

I disagree that the CPL is causing this. A polariser would not be a good idea, but the colour shift would be different.

See link for a single shot using a CPL on a 10mm lens. You can clearly see the colour change in the sky. FWIW the photo was taken about 5km from yours, but approx Due North where yours was taken approx due South. Imagine your panorama as a slice through the middle.
Warning. It is a very large image.
http://www.swtd.com.au/images/GJK/UltraWideSunAtSide.JPG
As you can see the colour shift is of quite a different nature to that shown in your image.

I suspect the AutoWB was at fault. As suggested earlier, try setting the WB of all your RAW images to the same K value, and try again.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Return to Post Processing