What I gave up....

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

What I gave up....

Postby MHD on Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:34 pm

Well last week when I first go bitten by the D70 bug my wife was wavering back and forth about weather it was worth it or more to the point if it was just a phase... so to convince her I told her I would go without beer (or any form of alcohol) for a fortnight!!!!! Day 4 amd I'm killing for a coopers :o :o :o

Its all worth it :D

As I see that members here are predominantly male, how did your better 1/2 handle your descision to spend 2,000ish dollars on a toy that you can just keep spending money on? (mmmmmmmm VR lenses!!!!)
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:37 pm

MHD,
Well, I suggest that you should bring her to one of the meet and she'll understand and willing to open the safe.
Stop beer but not red wine isn't it?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:38 pm

Now’s the time to take MHD to the pub & get into a shout.

Cheers
Ray :lol: PS: you made a good Choice !!!!!! :wink:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby JordanP on Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:46 pm

I really had to stretch it - I was going for two bodies, 3 lenses (1VR) and the speedlight. Assured the better half that I would make the money back with this "professional" toy. Now I give up quality hobby time to do paying Jobs (but this gives me the chance to keep sinking the $$$ back into the hardware) -- hope shes not reading this ......... :shock: :wink:
Craig
JordanP

Postby Greg B on Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:46 pm

Looks like our fellow D70 users are avoiding your question MHD.

For me, it was a bit tricky. After endless research, I bought a Canon G3 in Feb 2003. Now, I wanted ANOTHER camera. How could this be???? (I have several other film cameras)

OK, it must be said that I have an exceptional wife. (And I speak with the benefit of comparison to my first wife!!!!!)

Not only did she not object, she congratulated me on the purchase, and said how happy she was that I was happy with my new toy, and said I deserved it.

I consider myself very lucky.
Greg B

Postby MHD on Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was similar... I bought a Nikon cp5400 October 2003 and told the +1 it would last me for aaages!

haha...

seriously though, reading what people write I think the D70 will do me for a long time... I will be spending all my (student... :( ) funds on lenses...

First one I will save up for (getting some sort of 70-300 tele _ kit lens on purchase) is the fisheye DX lens... :)

Its bad when you can buy toys for your toys!
MHD

Re: What I gave up....

Postby bago100 on Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:40 pm

Day 4 amd I'm killing for a coopers :o :o :o

Its all worth it :D

MHD - There is no way, I could ever give anything up for a Coopers! You are a brave and determined man for sure. Especially giving up Coopers sparkling ale. I've tried copying the taste in my home brew and am close - well, the colour is the same, there is no preservatives, but the taste is still not quite the same. Pleasant enough but not the same :D

Home brew is the way to go mostly, but I still have a half dozen of Coopers around for that special occasion.
bago100

Postby Onyx on Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:56 am

You should have said you'd give up sex or something for two weeks, not beer! Surely that would have been easier... ;) :lol:
Onyx

Postby MHD on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:32 am

I already have.... the wife is 39 weeks pregnant (and for those that dont know that means she is about ready!)

Ahhh coopers sparkling... Bar up the road has it on tap (All bar nun)

Nup its all good... I told her that I would give up for the whole pregnancy but that didnt work to well...
MHD

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:23 am

I don't have that problem.

Hmmm ... interesting concept - a wife as a problem. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MHD on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:28 am

Nah.... no problem!
MHD

Postby Killakoala on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:01 pm

No wife problems here either but the 'shielah' i live with looks at me with a blank look everytime i buy a new gadget. I think she's gotten used to it now though.

Besides i sold my CP5700 to a friend to help fund the D70 plus i had the other Nikon lenses already. (Now i need more)
Killakoala

How my better half dealt with the new D70

Postby Geoff on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:05 pm

Great question!
My better half (who has since agreed to marry me!)..I think got a bit tired of me going into the camera shop and looking at it lustfully through the locked glass cabinet, the ramblings of all the different independent reviews and the contant discussion (well..me telling her how great a camera it is) I gave her about it! Since I've had it now 3 months (and approx 5 thousand photos later) she loves the quality and all the images I've taken with it. I think she may even want her own..but would never admit it!! Cheers!

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Raydar on Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:53 am

I gave up 1 packet of tobacco a week to fund my D70 addiction.
Now I am considering 2 packets a week, 1 isn’t enough :wink:

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:22 am

I promised my dear wife years ago!!!!

I tried to gave up my "lust" coz I have too much toys for the big boy around and no room to store, and help her to pay off the holiday home at Nelson Bay, but when I see something new and like, I always enquired and give my CC number to them, can't stop! Sometimes I hate the Net, it brought to me somethings, tempting me and finally I find a way to get it, but I live on it and need it, can't complain!!!!
One day, I have to cut my CC in half, disconnect my ADSL + Cable modem connections and go back to the early 20th Century. Is that help?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby krissingleton on Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:36 pm

LOL My wife's a photographer!!!!!
krissingleton

Postby Greg B on Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:53 pm

Very handy, although - does she want to borrow your stuff?
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby krissingleton on Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:41 am

all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
although, as with any marriage, most of it's hers anyway LOL I own the lens cap!
krissingleton

Coopers..

Postby beetleboy on Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:41 am

I know this is a side step but I'm impressed by the number of non-South Australians consuming my favourite beer (Coopers)!! When I left Aus 3 years ago it wasn't uncommon to draw a blank from people in other states when you asked for a "Cooper's Pale" or a "Sparkling"!

I have to say; having been gone for so long (and living in England where the beer is warm, if not least in relation to the temperature outside!!) one of the things I miss the most is Coopers!

I was home for xmas this year and the first thing I did (on the way home from the airport) was stop at a nice pub and down a pint of the nectar of life! And I can guarantee I'll be doing the same thing when I return for good on November 4th this year! PS - I don't work for Coopers, but I'm willing to consider offers!
beetleboy

Postby MHD on Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:42 am

Ahhhhh.... Coopers...

Its not my favorite beer, but it is my "regular" beer...

And with summer comming up its just going to get nicer!
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:32 am

MHD wrote:Ahhhhh.... Coopers...

Its not my favorite beer, but it is my "regular" beer...

And with summer comming up its just going to get nicer!

Perhaps one hand with the cold Cooper, the other hand on the baby stroller and the D70 is hanging around your neck.

I can see that photo now!!! Budget has been cut, isn't it?
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to General Discussion