Very Long Pano

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Very Long Pano

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:18 pm

After reading about the cheating in the Wildlife competition I followed some links and came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SteveBloomI ... 39ymJEPStg

Well worth a look, basically the guy walked down a street taking photos every few metres. It's kinda cool.
Alpha_7

Re: Very Long Pano

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:14 pm

How did he not get any double exposures of moving folk? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby sheepie on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:20 pm

They were all walking the other way.
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby firsty on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 am

thanks for the link Craig,
I have a pano comp coming up at my camera club and I have been planing a walked pano to do something different
but I was planing a staged shot showing a full day progressing down the street
starting with a milkman delivering milk, then a jogger, someone having a coffee at a cafe, a kid playing, a person leaning against the wall eating a subway roll, an elderly person out for a walk, a well dressed lady being served by a waiter at a restaurant, a couple in party clothes staggering home and last you come to see down an alleyway with a hooker under a street light leaning against the wall
the hard part was going to be changing the lighting from morning to night as you move through the photo (by hard I mean impossible) plus finding all the people
so I think I will scale it back a lot and do a shorter version of the linked one
just need to find a location with enough people walking by in small groups so that I still have spaces for stitching the pano

this is my first test shot taken a few weeks ago
it is a 7 shot walked pano taken with a 50mm lens

it looks like I will need to go wider... say 35mm and move back a little
anyone got any ideas or thoughts that may help??
thanks
firsty

Postby DaveB on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:47 am

firsty wrote:the hard part was going to be changing the lighting from morning to night as you move through the photo (by hard I mean impossible) plus finding all the people

One approach would be to set up your environment so it's artificially lit, with a "noon" scene in the middle and "night" at the end. Then have your models traverse it and photograph them at the appropriate points. You could fit in lots of people (even if many of them were the same people in different outfits) and have them in the final picture fairly close to each other (so you wouldn't need an amazingly-long set).

I have seen some student work along the lines of this idea with shots at different times of the day merged together, but there's a lot of work in merging the frames and it usually ends up being a smaller number of WA frames to reduce that work.
DaveB

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:43 am

DaveB wrote:One approach would be to set up your environment so it's artificially lit, with a "noon" scene in the middle and "night" at the end. Then have your models traverse it and photograph them at the appropriate points. You could fit in lots of people (even if many of them were the same people in different outfits) and have them in the final picture fairly close to each other (so you wouldn't need an amazingly-long set).

Have a look at the special features on "Requiem for a Dream" with reference to the scene where Judy Dench's character is cleaning the house for the whole day. It may not transfer across to still photography and to an external environment, but amazing nevertheless.

Keith, was that shot taken at Manly on Bower St?
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:06 am

Matt. K wrote:How did he not get any double exposures of moving folk? :shock: :shock: :shock:

He did get at least one.
The same guy appears at 1:44 and 5:16.

My first thought was that this could be easily achieved by taping the camera to a car/bike, set it to auto fire every half second & simply drive by. You would be moving too fast to get repeat people. Sadly the above person kills that idea.

It was taken fairly quickly though as the shadows do not change all that much. Or perhaps it was taken over several days, but at the same time of day. Various people, mostly kids, reacting to the camera tends to support that idea.

Remarkable achievement however it was done.
Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Return to General Discussion