Alipne/snow(boarding) photography.....

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Alipne/snow(boarding) photography.....

Postby rahudman on Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:13 pm

Hello again guys,

Been out of touch for a bit, but Grandfather actually got better and is now back at home (great reflief!). So now I am able to pop onto the forum with the spare time I have and ask a question I have been wanting to post for a long time now.

I have spent the last few years I've been living and snowboarding in ski resorts in US, Canada and Australia. I have returned to Brisbane to work on my 'career' in business, in an effort to get a start and move to a cold area (ie. one that I can snowboard at) with business experience. I think that it is very important to have a "big" goal, and this is mine... :idea:

I would love to be a snowboard photographer :!: :!: :D . I know it sounds a bit 'way out' to some, but it makes sense to me. I love the mountains, the cold weather and snowboarding (alot :!: ). It just makes sense. Or even do landscape stuff for alpine conditions. Really, ANYTHING that meant my hobby (which I would love to eventually make some part of a living off) would be situated in a place that I love, doing the things I love. :D :D :D

Does anyone out there have any idea of people to speak to, things I should look into, gear to use, contacts, ideas, suggestions....anything :?: :!: :?: I am buying by d70 mid year (tax refund...yeah!!), and want to start on my way towards this goal.

Like I said, I know it sounds a bit 'way out', but the though of it make me tingle with excitement, and grin with happiness. And to me, things that make you feel like that, should be pursued. That is what life is about :wink: .

Now, I realise that I currently live in Brisbane, so snow(boarding) photography is no easy task. However, maybe you guys would have some thoughts as to skills that I could work in in Brisbane that I could eventually 'transfer' to snow(boarding) photography? Maybe other 'extreme' styled sports?? Skating etc???

Please....any help would be GREATLY appreciated :D

Thanks a bunch.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ps. here is a link to get an idea of the work I would like to do..
http://www.transworldsnowboarding.com/s ... 0,,00.html

browse around the site, this is the stuff of my dreams.....
The mountains are my happy place....
rahudman

Postby Glen on Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:42 pm

You have picked a hard career for Australia, with our 12 week snow season :wink: You might find more info overseas on this
Glen

Fair call

Postby rahudman on Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:47 pm

...yeah I realise that. Maybe it is a big ask for Australia. That said, would be a great place to learn, then off to bigger and better things OS. Works out ok, as Australian season runs during the off-season of place in North America, Europe, Japan etc.

Still, after any things that might help me from any other members....... :?: :?: :?: :D
rahudman

Postby darb on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:29 am

what exactly do you want to know?

here are my snow shots :

http://darb.net/hotham-2004-photos

or go to http://darb.net/ and click on the 2003, 2002 albums etc.

brad
darb

Hints and tips

Postby rahudman on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:57 am

Just looking for anybody who might have some hints, tips, idea, contacts, thoughs, or anything to gte me on the road to being involved in snow photography in the future.

I was just trying to share my new found passion, and see if anyone could help me in the right direction :wink:

I realise there might not be many people able to help me, but on a whim, I though I might find someone on this forum :?: :?:

Darb, I've seen your shots, they are pretty nice. I am interested in magazine photography. Like the link I left.

Cheers
rahudman

Postby darb on Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:04 pm

I presume you mean sports photography, as opposed to landscape / nature? ... i think youll find both are pretty crowded and small markets ... though landscape is more open if you can get a creative edge ... as that type of market relies heavily on your artistic ability, where as the sports side of thing relies on sportspersons, their consent, ability, and business deals.

In australia, forget it. There are already guys who are doing those tasks up in the mountains. Those annoying guys who try and coerce you into a photo when youre on a green run traversing over to something steeper! you then pickt he photos up from a place later on ... thats more "mum and dad with the kids" type stuff than big freeriding avalanche riding heliskiing madness that i think you'd prefer.

I guess if you want to crack the market you're going to have to get up there, spend a season going around taking good shots, get to knwo locals and industry people, use a bit of charisma and see if you can snap some good shots of local pro's, and then see if you can contact snowsports magazines with samplse of your work and see if they want to purchase, or hire you (no idea how it works.) etc etc

Dont think you'll just walk into it mate, but best of luck to you.

You'll have infiniate more luck overseas ...
darb

Postby dooda on Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:05 pm

The only way you can do this IMO is to move to a resort area, get a job and take tons of photos in your spare time. There is always work. Here in whistler atleast 120 000 Australians come out each season for the terrain. here's my complication: getting good snowboarding/skiing shots is difficult because you have to scout out the spot, go down there and set up, somehow let the guy know to come down, then grab the shot. If you don't get it, well, better luck next time. You also hope that there is decent snow. That's a lot to put together. You'll also find that at any of the big resorts there is a lot of seasoned photographers already with experience etc. Here's my special plan all laid out for you because I'm too chicken to do it. Get a job as a liftie in Whistler next season. Find some of the photographers and try and get to know him. There is a photog here named Dave Humphreys and his stuff is great and he charges 80 canadian for an afternoon with his expertise. He's a Cannon user so after you're done you can either beat him up and take your money back, or try and develop a bit of a relationship with him, maybe you can even become an apprentice. He's mostly landscape but does some of everything around here. While working you build a library of impressive photos in your spare time, then you start to look at some of the other mountains in the interior that aren't as high profile, look into moving there and that's where you take off with your own business. If your photos are half decent it all comes down to your marketing ability.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Re: Alipne/snow(boarding) photography.....

Postby W00DY on Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:17 pm

Rahudman,

As other's have said it will be difficult in Australia, but not impossible.

If you are not living in the resort you need to be ready to pack and go as soon as there is a good dump. You may also want to consider NZ in the off season rather than Australia.

Try and hook up with some of the Heli Boarding companies in NZ and possibly get on a few trips at a last minute reduced price (if they need to fill the seats).

Your best bet is to get to know some VERY good boarders and then go hiking in the back country with them so you can set the shots up (build the jump over a drop etc...). Without knowing the boarders it will be very difficult for you to get the incredible shots.

You need to know where they are launching from, what trick they are doing and where they plan on landing.

If you do head OS try some of the smaller resorts (In Canada - Big White, Fernie etc...) as there are less photographers and still plenty of VERY good local talent. Contact the local newspapers in the are and make sure you are in the bars everynight to get to know the boarders :)

Anyway, best of luck to you and if you do make it big in the industry don't forget who gave you all this good advice :lol:

Cheers,

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Cheers

Postby rahudman on Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:21 pm

Excellent ideas guys. I lived in Whitler for a season (03-04) and had a blast. Was not seriously into photography at the time, but did take some nice photos on a REALLY basic 'point and shoot' film camera. Had a zoom function, and that was about it. I have to still get them scanned though. :wink: Going back to B.C. is hard for me, as I have used my "once only" visa already.

I realise that it is a really hard market to get into. Very hard :? However, I still wish to make a good go of it. At the moment I am living is Brisbane to gain excellent work experience in construction estimating. I plan to move to Mt Hotham in a couple of years permanently. I will make my best effort to get into snowboard/skiing photography. I'm not set on Oz totally, maybe even NZ. I would like to go for it in North America, as that is clearly the major region for that work. Not sure how I would do that, and how I would set myself up, plus....it's a big leap of faith.

Photograpghy is a relatively new area to me, and I suppose 'giving it all up' to follow it, is a big deal. Let's not forget a have a great girlfriend here, who happen to have a child, making the whole move thing even more complicated.

I think starting in Hotham or somewhere is Oz/NZ would be a good start, see how I like it, and if I am any good, and go from there. What do you think :?: :?:

I am prepared to put ALOT of effort in, it really is my 'dream job' :D . That said, I would do it just for my own pleasure in the end anyway.

I would consider landscape stuff, anything that would have me surrounded by alpine regions, it is the place that make me feel content.
rahudman

Postby Glen on Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:28 pm

Try some boarding forums and see if they want a photographer
Glen

Woody...thanks!

Postby rahudman on Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:30 pm

Cheers woody, good thoughts. I'm actually going to go Heli boarding in NZ this August :!: :!: :!: Can't wait :D :D :D

I'm going with Backcountry Heli in Wanaka. Have to part with some hard cash, but will be worth it all the way :!:

Thanks so much for your positve outlook woody. I belive that anyone that has a goal and pursues it properly, stands a better than average chance of getting at least some of what they want. Your uplifting words are good to hear (and yes I will remember you when I get to the top :!: )

I know a few semi-pro riders that are sure to get up there soon that I used to ride with. I'm not at there level, but still stomp out a mean cab 360.

What it come down to for me, is a marriage of the two things I love in life...conquering the mountain on a board, and being able to 'freeze-frame' life at one exact moment. It just makes sense (pationately!) to do the two.

Cheers....... :D :lol: :)
rahudman

Glen, yeah good though

Postby rahudman on Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:31 pm

I was lookind at one just then Glen...are you telepathic :?: :?:
rahudman

Re: Woody...thanks!

Postby W00DY on Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:46 pm

rahudman wrote:
Thanks so much for your positve outlook woody. I belive that anyone that has a goal and pursues it properly, stands a better than average chance of getting at least some of what they want. Your uplifting words are good to hear (and yes I will remember you when I get to the top :!: )

Not a problem...

Also look for niche markets in the sport (very hard but possible). For instance if everyone is concentrating on Half Pipe or Big Air then try and get some amazing free riding action so that your images stand out from the rest.

Start off small with some local papers or mag's. Don't expect to see your shots in Trans World anytime soon :)
Andrew
W00DY

Fair call

Postby rahudman on Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:50 pm

Yeah....transworld is totally out of my leage. Maybe in the VERY VERY distant future, for now I would be happy to eventually get in the local resort rag. Australian New Zealand Snowboarding and Australian Snowboarder would provide a good magazine to aim for in the future. Even they will be very hard to get into, but you never know :wink: ...enough hard work, and persistance can get you to many places. :wink:

I think it all comes down to setting you goal, working backwards to figure out each small step and then follow those steps. I am going to make a VERY solid go of it in my life. :lol:

I'll be sure to let you all know when how it goes (although it might take a while). All good things do.

Cheers.... :D
rahudman

What sport to shoot in Brisbane

Postby rahudman on Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:54 pm

Considering where I am the moment (brisbane - not much snow!), what do you guys think would be a comparable sport that I could shoot here? Something to provide me the skills of 'action sports' photograpghy :?:

Skating?
Freestyle/downhill biking?
Wakeboarding?

Let me know...THANKS :?: :!: :!: :D
rahudman

Re: Woody...thanks!

Postby W00DY on Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:55 pm

rahudman wrote:
I'm going with Backcountry Heli in Wanaka. Have to part with some hard cash, but will be worth it all the way :!:

Let me know how it goes.

We are heading over there next year and I want to get a Heli ride in.

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

heli

Postby rahudman on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:17 pm

I've never been before, but am looking forward to it. Was there last year and the snow level was awesome. Heli ski terrain had a confirmed 5m of base, plus 2.2m of fresh :!: Now that is what I call GOOD snow :!: :!:

Cheers mate.... :lol:
rahudman

Postby W00DY on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:22 pm

Sounds good.

I spent 12 months working in Canada and had so many fresh powder days that it was insane.

We were doing back flips over a 15 foot drop and no matter how you landed you could not hurt yourself ( I know becouse I landed on my head / shoulder once).

Spending that much time in Canada spoils it for when you get home though. There is no way I would attempt what we were doing here, if I landed on my head here in Oz I would probably crack it open on the ice :?

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

I agree

Postby rahudman on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:32 pm

Yeah, Canada is the go. I personally prefer South Colorado. Lived in Keystone and Vail for a couple of full season before I went north to Van and Whistler.

Both great, just prefer the terrain in Colorado. I had a bit of time at Steamboat too. That was the BEST powder EVER :!: :!: Up near my sholders. Loose you speed and you spend the next 30 min getting up. We dropped of cliffs doing big misty flips. Madness!!!!!
rahudman

Re: I agree

Postby W00DY on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:36 pm

rahudman wrote:Yeah, Canada is the go. I personally prefer South Colorado. Lived in Keystone and Vail for a couple of full season before I went north to Van and Whistler.

Both great, just prefer the terrain in Colorado. I had a bit of time at Steamboat too. That was the BEST powder EVER :!: :!: Up near my sholders. Loose you speed and you spend the next 30 min getting up. We dropped of cliffs doing big misty flips. Madness!!!!!

We spent 2 weeks at Steamboat and two of the days were just insane. One run and your back leg was aching trying to keep your nose out of the snow.

We had also booked 2 weeks at Jackson's Hole which I was looking forward to the most (some of the hardest terrain anywhere) but when we arrived there was no snow and they had stuffed up our accomodation so had to fly out after only 2 days, very dissapointing.
Andrew
W00DY

Fellow rider

Postby rahudman on Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:48 pm

Good to have a fellow rider on the forum :D We'll have to keep in touch mate.

I'm off to Japan for two weeks in Jan/Feb next year too. Friend of mine is doing a season over there....should be a blast. VERY steep stuff, plus alot of Japanese ski resorts have minimal action on the hard terrain. Sure be nice to have vacant black runs and back country, nice change from Whistler :!:

Cheers :lol:
rahudman

Postby dooda on Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:48 pm

Geese Rahud, you'd think I was invisible. Were my comments not POSITIVE enough for you. Let's not forget the knuckeldragger from the north!
Firstly, Colorado doesn't have better terrain than Whistler. Better snow yes, but not better terrain. I've been all over COL and Utah, and the snow was infinitly better, but the terrain? I beg to differ. I'm always curious BTW what folks from down there think, the answer is generally hands down Whistler, it's like bowl after bowl of jello puddin pops.
Just kiddin if you like the terrain down there better, for the life of me I can't understand how that could be though. The above is all very tongue in cheek by the way.
I'm heading to Utah this weekend, so should be a nice few days in Park City, don't really need to anymore as we just got 80 CM of FRESH. Ohh la la.

Anyhoo, I think that you should focus on your brain and knowledge. Try and gleen as much from action photogs as much as possible. Take classes that seem relevant, and I think that free Riding is a great place to start practicing. Squamish is the top in Free downhill Biking BTW as rated by and American publication, and of course Whistler has a terrific bike park. Here are some pics. and some of Whistler in there as well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/page7/

I also redid one I really like for discussion on the front page of my flickr account. Can't figure out how to deal with the posterizing of the sky.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Dooda...very sorry mate

Postby rahudman on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:54 am

Hey dooda,

Sorry mate, you are definetly not invisible, quite the opposite, just got carried away talking about other stuff with Woody. :oops:

Your comments are very much appreciated. And I think you have awesome ideas and great points :!: Thanks for the thoughts. I would love to go back and work in Canada, but seeing how I have used my once only visa already, I really don't know what to do about that one? Plus like I said, have a great girlfriend here, and her having a kid makes the move VERY difficult. :cry:

That said, your words are inspiring and very helpful to keep in mind for me in the future. I have been thinking the same thing, but not sure where to eventually go to in order to do this stuff. I am staying in Brisbane for the next two years as I have an awesome job and will get me off to a good start. Not sure when photography will pay off one day, so for now I will make sure I have an excellent day job that pays the way.

As to the debate about where the better terrain is....well that really is not something I want to get into. I know whistler and Canada is general has some flat out insane stuff, no one could ever argue with that. My preference to Colordo area is based on my experiences there, which was very well informed, and I think my emotional connection to the place might have alot to do with it as well. I liked it better in US, and as you said MUCH better snow. When I lived there I had a open season pass to Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, Breckenridge, A-Basin and Copper Moutnain. Being all within a very short drive of eachother, I found the access to a variety of great terrain much better, and being able to go to a different resort literally every day was excellent :!: Plus, there are SO many other resorts in the the area, that the variety and style and choice of terrain is amazing :!:

So as to which is better, that is really up to each person. Like I said, not something I want to get into. I rate Canada up there with the best, it could never be any other way. It is a place I want to go back to FOR SURE. I just have my preference, as anyone is entitled to have. :D

Thanks again for your comment and thoughts 8) , I'll keep them in mind.

Cheer :!: :D
rahudman

Postby W00DY on Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:44 am

dooda wrote:
I'm always curious BTW what folks from down there think, the answer is generally hands down Whistler, it's like bowl after bowl of jello puddin pops.

The problem with Whistler is all the Hype that comes with the place. There is WAY to much attitude on the slopes. You can't just go for a crusie down the mountain as you always feel like someone is waiting for you to do something (especially if you half decent).

I found the smaller resorts in Canada much more enjoyable to ride than Whistler. Whistler certainly has the terrain (due to it's size) but if you look / hike hard enough most resort have some pretty cool stuff to ride.

The one place I didn't get to which I regrett is Red Mountain (I think that is the name, could have been something else though?) It's near fernie and you have to get Snow Cats up the mountain as there are no lifts. VERY expensive but apparently some of the driest snow in the country.

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby dooda on Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:04 pm

Perhaps the attitude is because of all of the city folk and wealthy folk that go there. I don't really notice it, but I'm here all the time. There is no question that most resorts have some cool stuff if you hike to it, but that stuff can be hard to find if you don't know the area. Whistler stuff is all right there. BTW, the stuff you hike to at Whistler is simply orgasmic.
It's subjective as well-I understand that-and my comments were purposefully beligerent. I haven't done nearly enough down there to fairly compare to Whistler, so my opinion is definitely the most bias, but the discussion is pure fun though. I do find it would be hard to argue Whistler as hands down the greatest resort ever if we had Utah snow though.

I really hope you don't feel bad about leaving me out. It was just my stupid way of barging into something that I love. Can't wait for bike season to start, I'll have to post lots of pics.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Snow love

Postby rahudman on Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:17 pm

Looking forward to the bike pictures dooda.

Being is Sunny Brisbane TOTALLY SUCKS for me at the moment (as I feel at home on the board in the snow), but I know I will be at the snow for holidays and not too long and it will be my home again...this time for good :D :D :D :D :D :D

As for which resort is best...well, that is a never ending debate. We are all snow lovers, and I love any place with snow. So why don't we just agree on the one thing that we all hold true...

....snow is one of (if not the) most wonderful things in the world, no matter where you get it. As long as you are having fun :!: :D :D :D :!:
rahudman

Re: Snow love

Postby W00DY on Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:25 pm

rahudman wrote:
....snow is one of (if not the) most wonderful things in the world, no matter where you get it. As long as you are having fun :!: :D :D :D :!:

I have had a couple days at Perisher where I would have to disagree :lol:

When it is pure ice there is no fun to be had on a board.
Andrew
W00DY

Perisher

Postby rahudman on Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:30 pm

Woody,

I did a full season at Perisher mate, there are some spots that are decent, just have to look hard. My suggestions would be to go out to the very back bowl (forgot the name for now). It comes off the back of Blue Cow I think, and cuts back around to the right. It is the best area to find fresh (if there is any!). Has it's own lift too. Pockets of nice stuff there if you look hard enough. :shock: :D

I know persiher can suck sometimes, the season I was there (03) wasn't all that bad. I got to know all the sweet spot asap and did ALOT of hiking in the areas.

Keep your head up, and remember, even if it is ice, at least you're on a board for a couple of days. Beats being in the city ANY day. :lol:

Cheers... 8)
rahudman

Postby W00DY on Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:58 pm

Anywhere can have bad days...

One of the worst day I have ever had was in Banff in Canada, the snow was so icy that if you fell over and slide down the mountian you would take all the skin off your arms :?

In the above situation i would rather be in a city (of course the city would need to have a beach and I would be on a surfboard)....
Andrew
W00DY

Have it your way...

Postby rahudman on Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:22 pm

Fair enough, everybody has their dislikes. People I ride with call me crazy. I ride rain, hail or shine...literally.

One day in perisher it rained most of the day. I popped back home (lived/worked in Perisher manor - 10metres from ski lift), grabbed my extra waterproof jacket, went back out and rode all day. Sure, rain is not the best, but I'll ride no matter what :roll: Call me crazy, but I'm it is for the thrill and will do my best to conquer ANY situation. I prefer the chalendge than sitting inside.

Then again, I have been told I'm crazy :!: Oh well....I had tonnes of fun, and that is what it's all about :D :D :D

Cheers
rahudman

Return to General Discussion