Camera orientation in the camera bag

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Camera orientation in the camera bag

Postby Greg B on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:24 pm

This is a posting I read on Nikonians after someone askeed whether there was a preferred way to place the camera in the camera bag....

"Frankly it does not make a difference how a camera and lens is placed in the bag, however lens should be stored vertically to avoid having focussing helical grease from migrating to the iris leaves. Once this happens the oily iris will not stop down in a snappy manner and your images will be overexposed."

Don't have any idea re accuracy, but thought you might be interested.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Matt. K on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:28 pm

Hell Greg....helical grease! Thanks for the warning. In the early 60's lens elements were held in place with rubber cement. If you left the camera in a hot car during the summer the rubber would melt and you'd hear the elements clunk as they fell over. Looks like the esky might be the way to go.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Onyx on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:09 am

Before we start spreading mass panic - read the followup thread:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID6/4889.html

Len Shepherd's reply:

"Grease and Teflon type coatings are used these days, although if you leave equipment in the direct sun all day inside a car temperatures can get high enough to liquidise grease in anything - that's why Nikon quote temperature ranges for equipment.

Only the older 35 f2 AF lenses have a reputation for oil getting on the aperture.

Many on this list live in climates much warmer than the UK.
My equipment has spent months on the equator without any oil problem.

If there was a problem as distinct from a myth, it would be well documented with guidance included in Nikon lens instructions."

Now let me start a new rumour. My dad reportedly experienced this problem with his old Minolta SLR gear - storing the lenses while NOT at infinity focus eventually leads to focus errors in the long run, requiring expensive re-calibration. That prompted him to sell Minolta gear and buy Nikon in the '70s, which snowballed into my decision to get the Nikon D70 in the 00's (noughties?).
Onyx

Postby Greg B on Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:50 am

Thanks Onyx, maybe I shouldn't have passed on that earlier posting - however I am glad the matter is resolved.

chhers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:58 am

The most important thing I'm worrying here is humidity and fungus, the heat on this continent is not so severe, except some parts of the country.
Humidity might damaged lenses easily, so keep few silica gel bags in the old sock (wash the sock first) and leave it it the camera bag, I always have them in my bag.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:30 am

Good tip on washing the sock, birddog, it just doesn't bear thinking about the outcome of a dirty sock next to the beloved D70 and assorted ancillary expenditures.

:lol:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Glen on Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:37 am

Birddog, if I make tomorrow I will be having a spot inspection of your gear for old socks! :D
Glen

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:18 am

Glen wrote:Birddog, if I make tomorrow I will be having a spot inspection of your gear for old socks! :D

Glen,

You're on your own on that one!

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion