DSLR gear and no idea

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

DSLR gear and no idea

Postby BBJ on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:35 am

D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Re: DSLR gear and no idea

Postby rex on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:02 am

lol. i used to be like that. until now i'm still like that. i admit there are times i miss the best action, scenes, subjects when im fumbling with the settings.
rex

Postby aim54x on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:57 am

Horribly insulted...Sony is not going to make many friends doing this.....I wonder which twit decided it was a good idea to send someone out to accost, insult and label the people that you want to attract???

Gary Heery should think about the image he is projecting as well....I now see him as a self righteous prick who wants to stifle new photographers. Scared of a little bit of (non)competition much? Go off and sensationalise elsewhere. Why dont you advertise the NEX with a stunning body of work produced by this camera...surely you have the ability and the access to the gear, is there a need to insult and label DSLR users that don't care for an understanding of the cameras? How is buying a NEX going to solve that? Are you degrading the NEX to a glorified point and shoot? BTW this is the Gary Heery advert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW9alBidf3w&feature=relmfu
Last edited by aim54x on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:19 am

aim54x wrote:Horribly insulted...Sony is not going to make many friends doing this.....I wonder which twit decided it was a good idea to send someone out to accost, insult and label the people that you want to attract???

Gary Heery should think about the image he is projecting as well....I now see him as a self righteous prick who wants to stifle new photographers. Scared of a little bit of (non)competition much? Go off and sensationalise elsewhere. Why dont you advertise the NEX with a stunning body of work produced by this camera...surely you have the ability and the access to the gear, is there a need to insult and label DSLR users that don't care for an understanding of the cameras? How is buying a NEX going to solve that? Are you degrading the NEX to a glorified point and shoot?

I saw that it was linked to Sony NEX and thought similarly.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby biggerry on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:09 am

there is a reason why comments are disabled for this one :)

Cameron, i reckon you have summed it up nicely.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 am

biggerry wrote:there is a reason why comments are disabled for this one :)

Cameron, i reckon you have summed it up nicely.

I think the comments have been disabled for the whole series....at least the other vids in the series provide comic relief
Cameron
aim54x

Postby surenj on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 pm

This particular video is definitely insulting... I will show it some of my friends and see what they say. it's difficult to be unbiased when I don't have a compact camera (apart from phone cam ;)).

aim54x wrote:.at least the other vids in the series provide comic relief

Agreed.

I am sure some market research must have gone into this advert strategy. When a PRO tells you that it's going to be producing a better picture, I think the people who buy a DSLR purely for the 'sharpness' of the pictures, will come on board.

There is do doubt though that Heery is totally sold out. Times must be tough for him.
surenj

Postby aim54x on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:14 pm

surenj wrote:This particular video is definitely insulting... I will show it some of my friends and see what they say. it's difficult to be unbiased when I don't have a compact camera (apart from phone cam ;)).

aim54x wrote:.at least the other vids in the series provide comic relief

Agreed.

I am sure some market research must have gone into this advert strategy. When a PRO tells you that it's going to be producing a better picture, I think the people who buy a DSLR purely for the 'sharpness' of the pictures, will come on board.

There is do doubt though that Heery is totally sold out. Times must be tough for him.

When a PRO tells you that it will be as good then yet you will believe them...it is the delivery of the message that is the problem.

I am finding myself using mirrorless cameras increasingly (Nikon J1 and Olympus E-P3....and until recently I was toying with the idea of a NEX-6) and truth said they are more convenient and get the job done just as easily (and without the bulk). I dont think I can go back to using compact cameras anymore (why bother when the baby mirrorless cameras are as small as a good compact)
Cameron
aim54x

Postby surenj on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 pm

aim54x wrote:When a PRO tells you that it will be as good then yet you will believe them...it is the delivery of the message that is the problem.

Well I didn't think it was an overt lie. Afterall, they were using AUTO mode. :mrgreen: I agree that the delivery could be less insulting or embarrassing. I could almost imagine the better video. Perhaps we should involve Hit%#r and make a video ourselves? :chook:
surenj

Postby Remorhaz on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:02 pm

biggerry wrote:Cameron, i reckon you have summed it up nicely.

+1 - I saw this last week and though WTF! - the ad would discourage me from buying Sony (but then again I'm not an Auto user so perhaps I'm biased)

although for me personally I don't much see the point of the NEX style camera for myself. I'm trying to fathom why I'd want largish lenses on a tiny body - if I was doing that I'd prefer a DSLR (better balanced and easier to hold (one or two handed) and use) and frankly I hate EVF's (and now using the screen on the back of the camera as well) and MUCH prefer the optical viewfinder. The only compact that makes sense to me is one I could fit in a pocket (incl lens) otherwise I'd much rather the ergonomics of a DSLR.
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:51 pm

aim54x wrote:When a PRO tells you that it will be as good then yet you will believe them...it is the delivery of the message that is the problem.

If a PRO tells me, I firstly question how much money they were paid to tell me.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Steffen on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:39 pm

aim54x wrote:Horribly insulted...Sony is not going to make many friends doing this.....I wonder which twit decided it was a good idea to send someone out to accost, insult and label the people that you want to attract???

They're really just copying Samsung here. You could say, Samsung got samsunged by Sony ;)

But those customer-mocking campaigns are apparently part and parcel in the fight for second place.

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby photohiker on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:33 pm

Very telling of both Sony's attitude towards their market and (possibly) Heery's attitude towards non-pro photographers.

He makes a big deal of people using Auto, but doesn't look at a single image. Is he about the method (and gear) or about what counts: the image?

Getting people to hold up signs like that is degrading both himself and his victims.

Hope the pay was good.
photohiker

Postby aim54x on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Steffen wrote:

They're really just copying Samsung here. You could say, Samsung got samsunged by Sony ;)

I cannot agree with you, the Samsung campaign didn't overtly label and insult iPhone users, they merely pointed out the features of the phones that were in common (and hence already available in the SIIi). Sony on the other hand has come out to label DSLR users as "unfit" etc. Samsung never approached people in this manner, they planted users and demonstrated the features, no labelling, no overtly negative connotations. Another example is Nokia's "Lumina Dare" series, they have people approach and challenge, demonstrating the speed advantages - they do however employ the fun factor and forewarn the participant that there will be some fun made on their behalf if they don't win the challenge. Sony sends a "pro" out to accost, insult, sensationalise and label people before even attempting to show advantages (which they do poorly).

Nokia Lumina Dare (Australia)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd-EDQDnUj4

Samsung - The next big thing is already here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM
Cameron
aim54x

Return to General Discussion