2008 - A year of Motorsport.

What is your personal photographic journey? In a photographic sense, how did you start, and with what equipment? How have you progressed, and where are you, and your photographic skillset, placed today?

This is a place where members may share their personal photographic journey. Some of our normal posting rules are suspended within this section. To illustrate you story, for instance, you may post more than the normal 4 or so images. In fact, we actively encourage you to share with us images that illustrate how your photography has changed since you started. So readers with slower connections please be warned that postings made within this section may be - will be - larger than the norm.

Moderator: Moderators

2008 - A year of Motorsport.

Postby bwhinnen on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:10 am

Well 2008 has come to an end for Motorsports photography, it has been a very big and busy year this year.

It really started with the Hillclimb Championships at Mt Cotton last November and although I finished early this year the last couple of months have been preparing a portfolio, business case and gathering references for my CAMS photographer accreditation application.

The Hillclimb Championships were great fun, even though I was only there for the day, I had a ball and there was some very tidy racing from both the WRX Club club members I usually support and also non club members. From a personal perspective I had an image of the second place overall getter printed up in Leaded Magazine and was pretty chuffed about that.

I also attended my first major drag meet (outside of Sports Compact) at Willowbank, that being the Tin Top Titles! From this event I managed to become a finalist in the Stuart Bishop photographic competition, being in a group of 5 finalists for my section. The first time I'd had a photo as a finalist in a competition, it was great seeing it on display at the Ipswich Museum and Art Gallery!

2008 also saw a goal come to fruition, that was to be on the line with full media accreditation for the Top Fuelers at Willowbank during the Winternationals! What a great event this was, exciting and really gives you a different perspective on just how awesome the Top Fuelers are when they thunder down the track.

Shooting the V8 Supercars round at Queensland Raceway was also another achievement, but not one that I had wanted as much as the Top Fuelers. The weekend of racing gave me such an appreciation for how well a raceday can be run, the schedule was tight yet they race organisers kept to it! Amazing. I shot a few good shots from the weekend even getting two of them published at a later date in the year, although not the ones I wanted printed but still.

A middle ear infection put the Jamboree at risk, but I battled and at least made it out there for Day 1, got to try some new techniques at night for some super results, it is all learning and experience and taking photos at night of drag cars is not the easiest thing in the world!

I have to say some thanks to specific people from throughout the year, Vicki for letting me pursue my other business and putting up with me spending time getting photos done, Joe for the support throughout the year, he attended many events with me even giving me pointers at the drags, Rob with his support through late last year with the Hillclimb champs, he was very busy with work this year unfortunately, and lastly but definitely not the least, Simon, your generosity is boundless, you are a true gentleman! I must also thank all my fellow members of CircleWork, you've all been an inspiration throughout the year and your support invaluable as well as all the people here on DSLR!

Finally to finish off the year I received notification from CAMS that my application for 2009 photographer accreditation was successful, this means that my portfolio of only 10 photos, my business case and references were good enough for a group of my peers to acknowledge that I am not only serious about the business of motorsport photography but I meet their standards in my images.

For those interested my CAMS portfolio consisted of these 10 images.

bwhinnen

Re: 2008 - A year of Motorsport.

Postby gstark on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:18 am

Brett,

Thanx for sharing and posting.

A great story, and some great work here. I cannot even imagine the work, and the heartache, that you must have gone through in order to cull your work down to just ten images for your CAMS submission. But your choices were excellent.

Congratulations on a great year, and best wishes for an even better, and an even busier, one next year.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raskill on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Nice mate, good to see some of your images. Glad you've had fun throughout 2008, and well done on your CAMS accred, good to see your hard work rewarded.

:cheers:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby michael_ on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:06 pm

congrats brett and the feeling is mutual ;)
michael_

Postby Geoff on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:01 pm

Brett,
Congratulations mate. What a wonderful journey you've had thus far in a passion/turned paying gig!
Hats off to you, thanks for sharing.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Return to Personal Photographic Journeys