HK/Macau/Singapore 2012

What is your personal photographic journey? In a photographic sense, how did you start, and with what equipment? How have you progressed, and where are you, and your photographic skillset, placed today?

This is a place where members may share their personal photographic journey. Some of our normal posting rules are suspended within this section. To illustrate you story, for instance, you may post more than the normal 4 or so images. In fact, we actively encourage you to share with us images that illustrate how your photography has changed since you started. So readers with slower connections please be warned that postings made within this section may be - will be - larger than the norm.

Moderator: Moderators

HK/Macau/Singapore 2012

Postby aim54x on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:11 pm

I have just arrived home a few days ago from a bit of a trip to Hong Kong, Macau and Singapore. Despite all my lack of planning this trip turned out to be more fun than I expect. The main reason for this trip was family, but this didnt stop me from spending a lot of time camera shopping and photographing between trying all the local food.

It was an interesting task for me to work out what gear to bring with the limitations of luggage and the need to be truly capable of mobile photographically. I knew there was a lot of photos to be taken, and if I didnt process whilst I was taking them I would never be able to get through a backlog. This required me to be very picky about what I was to bring and what I was to pick up whilst overseas.

Camera wise I eventually settled on:
-Nikon D700 (last minute purchase after handling the D800 and deciding I preferred the D700, a welcome purchase as I helped with lens choice greatly)
-Tamron SP 28-75mm f/2.8 (a recent addition to the kit, purchased with the intention of being a lightweight alternative to the Nikkor 24-70, which proved to be invaluable for this trip)
-Nikon J1 + 10mm f/2.8 (I debated over bringing this or the Samsung EX1 - they are the same size, the Nikon provides better quality, but the EX1 is no slouch and provides more zoom)
-Nikkor 30-110mm (last minute addition courtesy of a friend that works for Nikon - proved to be quite handy)

Whilst I was over there I added the following to the kit:
-Nikkor AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8 (the only planned purchase, proved to be my favourite lens during the trip, I question why I didnt invest in a UWA earlier)
-Nikkor AF-S 40mm f/2.8 DX Macro (impulse buy, but proved to be useful right at the end of the trip)
-Nikon FT-1 Adaptor (as above)
-Nikon EN-EL20 (proved to be a necessity as the J1 chews through its battery rather quickly if your forget to charge)
-Nikon EN-EL4a + BL-3 (not useful for the trip, but will be useful from here on in)

As for computing power I lugged my Asus U36SD (Core i7 2.7 - 3.4, 8gb RAM, 1.6kg, 13") + WD 2.5" external drive and a 7" Toshiba AT1S0 tablet. The U36 was brilliant for processing, proving to be almost as powerful as my desktop computer when it came to processing. The tablet was incredibly useful for entertainment in flight and for maps/GPS duties.

All of this was packed in a Fastpack 350 and a Acme Made laptop bag.

I packed my Sirui T2205X + K10X carbon fibre tripod into my checked luggage. This tripod proved to be very useful and the light weight nature of it made it a dream to lug around on those longer days which seemed to be the only days that the tripod saw use.

Photographically, the D700 saw a lot of use during my two days in Macau, and on my free roaming days in HK. The J1 proved to be worth its weight in gold for family gatherings and in Singapore where I was headed out into different parts of town without attracting too much attention. I think this was largely influenced by my attraction to hawker centres in Singapore, where a big DSLR would attract a lot of unwanted attention. I did manage to catch the iLight festival in Singapore, where the D700 and tripod proved their worth again.

Unlike my last trip (Feb 2011) my camera gear survived almost unscathed, with the exception of one SD card that decided to split, but it remained serviceable.

Most of my photos are snapshots and food images, mainly to satiate the demands of my girlfriend who was left behind (Visa issues), but I did manage to get some passable images whilst I was away.

Nikon J1 + 10mm f/2.8

Nikon J1 + 30-110mm

Nikon D700 + Tamron 28-75mm

Nikon D700 + 17-35mm

Nikon J1 + 10mm

Nikon D700 + 17-35mm + B+W ND10

Nikon D700 + 17-35mm

Nikon D700 + 17-35mm (HDR)

Nikon J1 + FT1 + DX 40mm f/2.8 Macro
Last edited by aim54x on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Re: HK/Macau/Singapore 2012

Postby Matt. K on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:17 pm

I swear your photography just gets better and better. If these images are an indication of the quality you've been getting then the rest of your travels pics are going to be pretty spectacular. The first image is very creative and shows how to avoid a cliche simply by moving back a little.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby biggerry on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Mice stuff Cam, the Bigstopper rocks in this series and I do like the streetview with the billboard :up:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:52 pm

Matt. K wrote:I swear your photography just gets better and better. If these images are an indication of the quality you've been getting then the rest of your travels pics are going to be pretty spectacular. The first image is very creative and shows how to avoid a cliche simply by moving back a little.

Thanks Matt, sadly these are the better of the hundreds of shots I took. There are few more pano's and HDR's that I may eventually get around to posting, but these are amongst my favourites.

biggerry wrote:Mice stuff Cam, the Bigstopper rocks in this series and I do like the streetview with the billboard :up:

Thanks Gerry...I liked the bigstopper version more than the HDR version (below). Funny how D-lighting can help you get the above result. I actually revisited that billboard several times. The girl in it is a HK actress/model that has opened her own cafe...I didnt visit but apparently it is good.

Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby surenj on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:54 am

Great shots Cameron! Looks like you are having a ball!! :cheers:
surenj

Return to Personal Photographic Journeys