Gum Leaf Katydids

This section is for members who wish to post notifications of updates to their personal galleries. Please note that as the initial you may <b>only</b> include a link to your gallery - you may not, and you must not, include any images. That is where the fun begins: other members may then click on your link, and if they particularly like an image from your gallery, then <b>they</b> may post the link to your image, from your gallery, along with reasons as to why they like the image. <i>Image critiquing is NOT permitted in this section, and images posted within this section are not considered for PotW. Posts made in this section will be excluded from the "Recent Posts" section on the front page, which means that you will need to actively seek posts here. This section will also prune itself, with stale topics being removed 14 days after the most recent post being made.<i>

Moderator: Moderators

Gum Leaf Katydids

Postby ATJ on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 am

Over the last 3 months I have been watching and photographing some katydids in our backyard. Yesterday I noticed one was now an adult so I thought it would be interesting to publish a selection of the photographs I've taken of them. Many of the photographs are flawed and probably don't stand on their own, but I'm very happy with them from the perspective of showing the progression of these guys as they grow.

Gum Leaf Katydids

I may continue to make updates to the page, especially as there is still at least one nymph that has at least one moult to go.
ATJ

Re: Gum Leaf Katydids

Postby dviv on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:50 am

great post Andrew.

It's very interesting to see the growth and changes in adulthood.

Are Katydids a distant relative of the grasshopper? That adult shot makes it look like one :mrgreen:
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby ATJ on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:55 am

Thanks, David.
dviv wrote:Are Katydids a distant relative of the grasshopper?

Not so distant.

Grasshoppers, crickets and katydids are all in the order Orthoptera (which means straight-winged). Grasshoppers (including locusts) are in Suborder Caelifera and they short antennae. Crickets and katydids are in Suborder Ensifera and most have long antennae. So, if you see something that looks like a grasshopper, but it has long antennae, it's a katydid.
ATJ

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:26 am

Wow, that's pretty cool, it's amazing you can follow their life cycle like that and it really is very well camouflaged as an adult.
Alpha_7

Postby aim54x on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:35 am

Great set Andrew, I would have to comment to say that first one does not look like the same species at all. However these are great captures, and with a 60mm macro, that must have taken some patience.

Cheers
Cameron
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:40 am

Andrew
Excellent shots!......But wrong kind of nymphs for me. :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby ATJ on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:07 pm

aim54x wrote:I would have to comment to say that first one does not look like the same species at all

Quite possibly although it was much smaller and so they may look like that very early on.
aim54x wrote:...and with a 60mm macro, that must have taken some patience.

The 60mm is much easier to use that most reviews claim. I suspect that many reviewers have never actually used one. In some cases it is actually easier to use than a longer lens because you can steady the camera/lens on the subjects perch or even hold the perch in your left hand while keeping the hand pressed against the camera - works better than using a tripod.

Matt. K wrote:But wrong kind of nymphs for me. :D :D :D

You could end up in gaol. :shock:
ATJ

Postby aim54x on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:42 pm

I agree that the 60mm is beautiful to use, I have played with both the AF-S and AF-D versions. What I meant was the short working distance, it must have taken a long time to get that close to these Katydids.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby ATJ on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:16 pm

aim54x wrote:What I meant was the short working distance, it must have taken a long time to get that close to these Katydids.

That was what I meant, too. The working distance is not as short as people make out. I can fairly easily get close to most things and even butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies. It is more about how you approach them rather than how quickly.
ATJ

Postby aim54x on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:18 pm

ATJ wrote:It is more about how you approach them rather than how quickly.

Care to give me some pointers? I could do with some tips, I am still after those elusive Bee/dragonfly shots and I dont always have the 180mm on me.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:33 pm

Excellent series.

Very well done with that lens - I thought that you would have to get so close that they would escape.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby ATJ on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:14 pm

You want me to give away all my secrets?

The cool of the morning is a good time for photographing insects. You will actually find a lot just sitting/standing around waiting to warm up so they can fly. I have often found dragonflies and damselflies just hanging out. The same goes with flies.

Here's an early morning dragonfly: http://andrewtrevor-jones.com/H_austral ... ok08-4.jpg

Damselflies will often stay still long enough to get quite a few shots and if you don't disturb them too much they'll even land pretty soon after take off (even on a hot day). Although, you generally do need to be slower and more patient with dragonflies and damselflies.

This damselfly was on a hot afternoon and did take some patience: http://andrewtrevor-jones.com/A_leda_Glenbrook08.html

If you can't find dragonflies that are resting, you need to watch them for a while and work out where they perch and for how long. You can even set up perches. Then just set yourself up there.

Here's one on a perch I set up: http://andrewtrevor-jones.com/O_villoso ... k08-3.html

For bees, you basically have to wait for them to come to the flower and be prepared to take lots of shots.
ATJ

Postby Big V on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Extremely interesting post and you are very skilled in this area of photography. It would make a great animation showing the progressive stages. Looking forward to some more.
Canon
Big V

Postby aim54x on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:21 pm

ATJ wrote:You want me to give away all my secrets?

Thanks Andrew, COOL EARLY MORNINGS, patience and observations. The pics are awesome!!!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby ATJ on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:51 pm

I should add that with the katydids you can pretty much just walk up and take photos. They will move off eventually, but will certainly stay put for more than long enough. At least that was for those ones. Other katydids, such as Conocephalus semivittatus are a bit more skitty. I can get some shots with the 60mm but the 200mm will be a lot easier.
ATJ

Postby Greg B on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Fantastic photos Andrew, beautifully taken and very interesting.

It is interesting that the feelers (?) particularly noticeable in the first shot are so incredibly long
(as indeed are the back legs)

Wonderful stuff, thanks.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Killakoala on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:24 pm

Absolutely fascinating series of images.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Return to Gallery Updates