new website

This section is for members who wish to post notifications of updates to their personal galleries. Please note that as the initial you may <b>only</b> include a link to your gallery - you may not, and you must not, include any images. That is where the fun begins: other members may then click on your link, and if they particularly like an image from your gallery, then <b>they</b> may post the link to your image, from your gallery, along with reasons as to why they like the image. <i>Image critiquing is NOT permitted in this section, and images posted within this section are not considered for PotW. Posts made in this section will be excluded from the "Recent Posts" section on the front page, which means that you will need to actively seek posts here. This section will also prune itself, with stale topics being removed 14 days after the most recent post being made.<i>

Moderator: Moderators

new website

Postby jamesw on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:19 pm

It's been a while since I have been on here. Quite a while.

Anyway last month I got my new personal website up. It's at www.jamesdwade.com

Check out the photobook project for some of my recent photos.
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Re: new website

Postby big pix on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:05 pm

....... sorry found it too hard...... after about 3 minutes still did not see a pix
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Oneputt on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:36 pm

I have to agree. Hard to figure out what the site is supposed to show. I think that the KISS principle could apply here.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby fozzie on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:05 pm

James - I have to agree with the others, and as always the 'KISS' principle is best.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby aim54x on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Sorry James, even with an ADSL2+ connection the number of clicks to get to photos is still too many! It is not so much the wait time but more the number of screens it takes to get there.

Sorry!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Check out the photobook project for some of my recent photos.

I like the photobook - when I got to it! I don't mind flash based sites or galleries but it still needs to be fast and simple - that said it also depends on your target audience on what choice of interface you use, possibly this site will appeal more to the, dare i say it, younger crowd?!

I do like the 'photobook' and the way you can just flick thru it rather than trawl thru galleries and categories, but i guess that could be just preference when it comes to looking at peoples pictures.

hth alittle!
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:50 am

James,
Your website is too complicated and didn't load fast enough. I would recommend a simpler approach to showcase your photos. [Assuming that's what you wanted to do]
Perhaps a seperate link to your blog would be better rather than too much integration.
surenj

Postby jamesw on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:28 pm

thanks for the feedback guys.

i guess it probably would have made more sense to point you at jamesdwade.com/photobook!

this is the third re-write for 'what i'm trying to achieve' from this... so here goes, i've dot pointed it!

- i wanted the project to be a casual look at my life over the last month. i figured flipping pages through a magazine would be a cool way of doing it.

- i wanted my photobooks to motivate me to shoot photos. prior to this project, i'd been shooting photos for publication projects only, and struggling to motivate myself to shoot just for the sake of it. this lack of motivation basically came down to the fact that i had nowhere to put my photos after i took them, and they just built up on my computer.

- it wasn't my intention to use the photobook project to explicitly self-promote my photography. sure, people may see it and contact me about shooting, but it's my intention.

some other points:

- i have a number of other hobbies/businesses/etc. they range from design, to web stuff, to clothing production. i think this complicates things a bit; my website isn't just about my photography.

- target audience is definitely people between 15-30.

- if you didnt see anything, are you guys familiar with online flipbooks? go to jamesdwade.com/photobook, click through to the may photobook, a window will pop up and load, then you'll see a photo. click on the bottom right hand side of the first photo. it will flip over to the next page :D

(on the next photobook, im putting a 'click here' thingy on that corner)

once again thanks for the feedback. other than on this forum, the feedback i had got was overwhelmingly positive, it's always nice to get some critical response : :D
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby jamesw on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:28 pm

i've got a new splash on there... flash free & lightweight.
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Return to Gallery Updates