My First Images

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

My First Images

Postby Nick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 pm

Hi all,

I am 13 years old and love photography. I am a beginer and I would like some tips on techniques etc. Here are some photos I have taken from various cycling races.

Nikon D50, 18-55, 70-300
Nick

Re: My First Images

Postby Raskill on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Welcome aboard Nick, and nice shots to begin with.

I think number 2 is the strongest image here, as the shallow depth of field isolates the rider from the group, and the close crop helps to add excitement. I like the angle and lighting in 1, very nice indeed, it suffers slightly from the wheel being cropped.

Your colour and saturation levels are smack on, as is your shutter speed, with enough blur in the wheels and background to show speed.

Nice use of the sponsors signage in the last image also, sponsor just love that stuff!

:D
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby Glen on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:15 pm

Welcome Nick, great to see some photos in a first post :D I like 3 and 2, hard to pick but both are good. I can see you were on shutter priority on 3, a slightly larger aperture for more depth of field would really highlight the rider in blue. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Marvin on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi Nick. Welcome to the forum. You have had some good feedback and well done on posting some pictures. It's the best way to learn!
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby TC on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:33 am

good work, Nick.
TC

Postby Nick on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:00 pm

I appreciate the comments.

Thanks
Nikon D50, 18-55, 70-300
Nick

Postby BullcreekBob on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:27 pm

G'day & Welcome

It is good that at 13 you consider yourself a beginner. When I was 13, I was an expert. I didn't learn how to be a beginner till much later in life, however, once I became a beginner, I learnt how much I can learn and benefit from the knowlege of others. There are certainly some great folk here that you'll learn lots from if you want.

One of the things you will need to do as a beginner is to read the forums' FAQ's. You have already broken a rule or two.
Cheers

Bob in sunny Perth
What gear? Watch this space!
BullcreekBob

Postby myarhidia on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:35 pm

Welcome aboard Nick, you said you're a beginner and 13 years old. The comments you've received so far talk about shallow depth of field, saturation, shutter priority & aperture, don't be afraid to ask questions if things people say don't make sense ;-)

By the way, I like your pics.
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
myarhidia

Location: Kingsgrove, Sydney, So where the bloody hell are you?

Postby sariza on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:50 am

Raskill wrote:Welcome aboard Nick, and nice shots to begin with.

I think number 2 is the strongest image here, as the shallow depth of field isolates the rider from the group, and the close crop helps to add excitement. I like the angle and lighting in 1, very nice indeed, it suffers slightly from the wheel being cropped.

Your colour and saturation levels are smack on, as is your shutter speed, with enough blur in the wheels and background to show speed.

Nice use of the sponsors signage in the last image also, sponsor just love that stuff!

:D
well done !
sariza

Return to First Image