new (secondhand) 100-300 f5.6

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

new (secondhand) 100-300 f5.6

Postby biggerry on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:37 am

Picked up this lens the other day from ebay for a real bargain - the condition was absolutely mint. This is the first lens I have with the older style push-pull lens and for that matter the longest lens in my list (focal and physical!). I really like the push-pull style, whilst this is definitely not a fast lens I feel its a very economical way to get into the longer lens for a taste :D I also love the solid build on the older lens!

here are two pictures I have taken with it so far. Any suggestions about better ways to use this particular lens is welcome!

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: new (secondhand) 100-300 f5.6

Postby Matt. K on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:23 pm

God bless Ebay! :D :D :D Looks like a sharp lens....hope it delivers.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby zafra52 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:49 pm

I find hard to believe you can get an image of the moon like that with a 100-300 lens without attaching it to a telescope. By the way, I like both images.
zafra52

Postby biggerry on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:23 pm

I find hard to believe you can get an image of the moon like that with a 100-300 lens without attaching it to a telescope. By the way, I like both images.

thats harsh man :cry: wheres the trust :o ...I certainly did not have it attached to a telescope. I took that picture last night in sydney in my backyard, last night was very clear due to the recent rain we have had. I am sure others in sydney will confirm that!

I can send you the original .nef file if you still dont believe me :D

below is the uncropped version, see the exif for info - and a couple from last week when its was not so clear (note 60% crop)

I hope that convinces you.

biggerry

Postby zafra52 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:17 pm

In the past we have seen in this forum excellent moon pictures, like your own, but taken with a camera attached to a telescope. In fact, I believe one of our fellow members makes his own telescopes. It never occurred to me that you could take a picture with a 100 – 300 lens and crop it to obtain such magnification. No offence was intended.
zafra52

Postby jdear on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:26 pm

is this the ais lense?
jdear

Postby biggerry on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:59 pm

No offence was intended.

none was taken....

if that cloud moves along tonite just long enough to get another glimpse, i'll try and get another shot as sharp as that one!

is this the ais lense?

from what I know there was only one type of this lens made, the Ai-S and this is it!

I have serial number 185669 and it looks like this one below, image from http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/

biggerry

Postby jdear on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:32 pm

oh cool - I think I have this lense knocking around in my cupboard. Don't think its evern really been used. Also have a 2x ais teleconverter!
jdear

Postby biggerry on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:27 pm

I think I have this lense knocking around in my cupboard. Don't think its evern really been used. Also have a 2x ais teleconverter!

omg :shock:

I would love a bash at that 2x teleconverter :P , how sharp is it with the 100-300 ? if you do get it out of the cupboard for a test I would like to see a picture from it!

pretty sure its a full moon tonght :mrgreen: , hint hint...
biggerry

Return to First Image