first few pics with my D80

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

first few pics with my D80

Postby lukipelaa on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:20 pm

still learning how to use it comments appreciated!

lukipelaa

Re: first few pics with my D80

Postby ATJ on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:58 pm

Pretty good shots for a first timer, especially considering the harsh light. Full Sun generally not very forgiving and makes for deep shadows. The other thing I can recommend is to get closer to the subject.
ATJ

Postby Matt. K on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:34 pm

In your first and last shot the background is much brighter than your subject. This will always result in a dark subject. If you can learn to see this before shooting then your options are..
1.....change your metering mode to spot metering
2.....turn your subject around and physically move the camera postion
3......Pop up you flashgun and turn to spot metering mode

A bright background is always a trap. Next suggestion, as stated in the previous post...get much closer to your subject. That is the single most important thing you can do to improve your photography. Thanks for posting.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby lukipelaa on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:41 pm

was kind of afraid i'll be labelled as a pedo if i get closer to them :P

another thing. when u guys say turning the subject around meaning have the shadows behind them instead of front?
lukipelaa

Postby ATJ on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:46 pm

lukipelaa wrote:another thing. when u guys say turning the subject around meaning have the shadows behind them instead of front?

Well, more importantly, have the lighting at the front - i.e. so it is on the subject.
ATJ

Postby paulmac on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:56 pm

ATJ wrote:
lukipelaa wrote:another thing. when u guys say turning the subject around meaning have the shadows behind them instead of front?

Well, more importantly, have the lighting at the front - i.e. so it is on the subject.

...but then the subject would be squinting in said full sunlight, or would be hiding under the brim of his hat.
In my (very) humble opinion, the lighting is pretty bloody good for the first pic. I agree about the comments about using pop-up flash though.
paulmac

Postby ewm3 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Have to agree with the others; get in closer. Try to avoid photographs at noon; they give lots of harsh shadows. Early morning and late afternoon are good. Don't be afrAID TO USE 'FILL-FLASH' in harsh light. Keep sending them in!
Eric in Adelaide

Nikon gear but looking for talent...
ewm3

Return to First Image