First shot of Wollongong

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

First shot of Wollongong

Postby Kreapen on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Hey guys,
Been reading the forums for awhile. Have been interested in photography for as long as i can remember but never really knew where to start.

Now being 25 i thought i would go any buy a camera while the wife would let me, so i bought a Canon 40D body with a 17-85mm lens.

Went upto Mt Keira (Wollongong) on the way home from work and took some photos, and bound them together.

Any pointers here would be great.

Thanks in advanced

Jay Quinn

Original (Sorry its a wide photo)

Last edited by Kreapen on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kreapen

Re: First shot of Wollongong

Postby surenj on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:50 am

Kreapen wrote:" while the wife would let me"

My goodness, you are revealing too much about your self in your first post!

The pano is ok (too small to view in detail though) but I think it needs the X factor. It either needs a focal point or more interesting colour to make it work. If this is your first few photos from a DSLR, you are well on your way!

Welcome to the forum.
surenj

Postby Raskill on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:27 am

I'm not into wide landscape shots myself, unless they have pitgirls and V8's in them, but I'll comment anways.

I think the lookout and angle are good. Stitching looks ok also. I think this shot could be better served by using a CPL and waiting for a nice clear day, or maybe even some thunderheads out over the ocean. Because there is a drab grey sky and less light, it makes it difficult to see ay detail (especially in such a small image).

Perhaps late afternoon with a long exposure, as that would get you some lights being on in the city, and still have the nice afternoon light on any clouds and the ocean?

Welcome to the forum by the way. I cant believe though that you were allowed to buy a camera AND you bought a canon.... :wink:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:47 am

Raskill wrote: I cant believe though that you were allowed to buy a camera AND you bought a canon.... :wink:

I noticed that discrepancy too, Alan. :)

This is an interesting shot to attempt so early in your DSLR ownership. I'm not trying to be obtuse, but most peole start with a simple landscape or a duck, and just try to master some of the basics first.

What settings were you using, and out of curiosity, what is your photographic background? I suspect that the 40D is not your first camera. (Yes, Alan, I know. :) )
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Kreapen on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:23 pm

Working from memory cause the camera was on manual i think i was on F4.5, 1/160 shutter speed and ISO was around the 400 mark. (turned the setting stamp off on the camera.)

I was going to buy a Canon 450 as my first camera but looked at alot of reviews and thought may as well spend the extra.

The shot was about 6:00 on a Wednesday afternoon so was hard to get much color in the camera but will try again at a later date on a better day or letting the lens sit open a bit longer.

Whats wrong with my canon?

Thought i would add the following two photos.

Took these and they are my first attempts and photoshop CS2.

I was looking at doing a photo editing course by correspondence.. Anyone recommend a place that may be better at a reasonable price?

I took them with a friends 450 last month (not my camera so not my first shot post.)
Kreapen

Postby Kreapen on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:53 pm

gstark wrote: I suspect that the 40D is not your first camera. (Yes, Alan, I know. :) )

It is my 2nd camera. well My first camera.. My mother ownes a nikon and i use to steal it all the time but never took it serious.

I stumbled across this site about 2 months ago and felt the passion coming back so here i am.

only photography back ground is i did a highschool class of it for 2 weeks?
Kreapen

Return to First Image