5d mk ii with kit lens

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

5d mk ii with kit lens

Postby photoaffinity on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:01 pm

Well i picked it up this morning, and finally got to have a play this afternoon.

what a camera! i'm very impressed so far. (now just have to work out canon's controls :roll: )

all these are straight off the camera, and up to flickr.

This would have normally been way too dark, 3200iso, f4, 1/10sec, hand held.
it's me, taken by my brother.

here's one of the mirror, lit by just a 60w bulb in the ceiling. 1/15sec, 3200iso, f4

and lastly, here's tom, in the same room 1/13sec, 3200iso, f4
photoaffinity

Re: 5d mk ii with kit lens

Postby chrisk on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:27 pm

congrats on the new camera and welcome. samples look pretty good.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby mickeyjuice on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:45 am

Horrible white balance in #2 & 3 :-)
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:39 am

mickeyjuice wrote:Horrible white balance in #2 & 3 :-)

Not really: it's the same as we used to see when using daylight filum indoors, and nothing that can't be fixed in post.

On the subject of post .... what have you done in the third of these? The sharpening that's been applied looks .... strange ... Tom's head looks to be right on the edge in terms of over-sharpened. Just over the edge, actually, and the arm on his glasses seems to suffering from some jpg artifacts because of the resizing. His right hand ... look at the line between the wrist and the thumb: like his head, I think the sharpening is over the edge.

Let's now look at his shirt ... on the chest, the sharpening again is over the edge, and displays some evidence of haloing. And more haloing where the shirt and Tom's neck intersect.

Let's now move the the area where, in the image, the shirt intersects with the chair. This is surely the line of the edge, as we see it, of the chair. And it is located closer to the camera, than Tom, and it appears to be very sharply defined.

But if you now cast your eye up, to where this very same edge (I suspect) of the chair moves up and then becomes the top of the chair, the same edge now softens significantly. Just not right.

Going back to Mickeyjuice's white balance comments, and looking again at these images, the first one, too, isn't right. It's looking a bit like tungsten film shot outdoors. I can see that this is shot with harsh-ish window light, but the highlights are wrong, and significantly (and this is the telltale) so too are the shadow details.

What were the wb settings for these images? Was it left on auto for each of them, or .... ?????
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby photoaffinity on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:57 am

gstark wrote:What were the wb settings for these images? Was it left on auto for each of them, or .... ?????

You got it! auto wb for each of these. they are all straight from the camera in it's default settings out of the box up to flickr.

They were all shot in AP/AE mode aswell if i recall.
photoaffinity

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:25 am

photoaffinity wrote:
gstark wrote:What were the wb settings for these images? Was it left on auto for each of them, or .... ?????

You got it! auto wb for each of these. they are all straight from the camera in it's default settings out of the box up to flickr.

They were all shot in AP/AE mode aswell if i recall.

Am I reading you correctly?

I can handle these wb as being the default. But are you saying that these are also the default, in-camera sharpening settings? Were you shooting to raw or jpg?

Regardless, could you please post a full-size crop of the section of where Tom's neck and his shirt meet? It's likely that the artifacts that I'm seeing may be simply due to the resizing, and it would be nice to see what this region of the image really does look like.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby photoaffinity on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:09 pm

Regardless, could you please post a full-size crop of the section of where Tom's neck and his shirt meet? It's likely that the artifacts that I'm seeing may be simply due to the resizing, and it would be nice to see what this region of the image really does look like.

here you go :)
Yes it's in camera jpeg processing.

You can see the effect that the noise reduction has when you are in this close.
photoaffinity

Postby mickeyjuice on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:12 pm

gstark wrote:
mickeyjuice wrote:Horrible white balance in #2 & 3 :-)

Not really: it's the same as we used to see when using daylight filum indoors, and nothing that can't be fixed in post.

Thus the smiley face...
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby Big V on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:35 pm

Enjoy the new camera you will have fun with the low noise available at high ISO
Canon
Big V

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:26 pm

photoaffinity wrote:Yes it's in camera jpeg processing.

Ta muchly.

Ok, this looks to me to be way better. I'm guessing that something's happened somewhere in the resize and display, and the issues I'm seeing are totally unrelated to the image that the camera has captured and rendered.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby photoaffinity on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:34 pm

No Problem :)

I'm guessing that something's happened somewhere in the resize and display, and the issues I'm seeing are totally unrelated to the image that the camera has captured and rendered.

I would be worried if it came out of the camera looking like that at full size.
photoaffinity

Postby devilla101 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:50 pm

Congrats on the purchase. Let me know if you exhibit the infamous black dot problem. So far its the only thing holding me back from getting this camera
devilla101

Postby photoaffinity on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 pm

devilla101 wrote:Congrats on the purchase. Let me know if you exhibit the infamous black dot problem. So far its the only thing holding me back from getting this camera

In the images i have shot so far, only one has had the "black dot" problem, and i only picked it up after i went looking for it.

you can see the dots at 100% crop in one section, however keep in mind that it's only noticeable when looking for it at 100%.

that said, i haven't done any long exposure stuff yet with small highlights, such as a night cityscape. That seems to be where it has popped up the most.
photoaffinity

Postby devilla101 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:26 am

Your right, very minute. Thanks for that mate, appreciate it.
devilla101

Postby gstark on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:36 am

photoaffinity wrote:you can see the dots at 100% crop in one section, however keep in mind that it's only noticeable when looking for it at 100%.

And you certainly do need to look. Very closely.

This is certainly not a major issue in terms of how your images will look.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to First Image