Spinal column

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Spinal column

Postby DaveB on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:45 pm

5DmkII, 17-40mm/4 @ f/11

A snap from a commercial shoot I did today. I thought the cable run from the ceiling was cute. Looks somewhat spinal, and these were medical premises...

Other than a repro job a couple of days ago, and some "happy snaps" getting used to the new camera, this was my first major outing with the 5DmkII. I managed to fill a 4GB card, and the first battery ran down (had been using it since Wednesday). That was all fine, but the most painful thing at the moment is the size of the files I'm getting from this thing. Lightroom generating previews takes a lot longer than I'm used to, and I needed to close a few programs for things to run smoothly enough (I've only got 3GB RAM on this machine). As soon as I render an image out to a TIFF for Photoshop or Photomatix work, each one starts out at 120MB (before adding Photoshop layers!).

But the extra detail in the images is worth it!
DaveB

Re: Spinal column

Postby surenj on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:07 pm

:agree: about the spinalness of the cable!

What was your lighting setup for this shoot? I can't seem to reverse engineer this one [Which happens alot to me so not really a surprise]
surenj

Postby DaveB on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:38 pm

surenj wrote:What was your lighting setup for this shoot? I can't seem to reverse engineer this one

Just ambient light. Camera was on a tripod of course, and it had a polariser on (the office layout had lots of glass walls to introduce reflections).
This shot wasn't bracketed or anything fancy, just a snap in the middle of proceedings.

Previous times I've done these jobs I've used the EF-S 10-22mm on a 40D: this time I could use the EF 17-40mm as it was intended!
DaveB

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:55 am

DaveB wrote: Camera was on a tripod of course, and it had a polariser on

And what wb settings were in place? Given that the predominant lighting appears to be flouros, you seem to be well in control of the new body already.

Nicely spotted subject, and nicely presented, Dave.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DaveB on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:14 am

gstark wrote:And what wb settings were in place? Given that the predominant lighting appears to be flouros, you seem to be well in control of the new body already.

I usually leave the cameras on Auto WB, include reference shots of a WhiBal, and tweak the WB in Lightroom.
However, this photo has not been tweaked (ok, I was excited to post a shot from the new camera :roll:).
It's using the white balance selected by the camera!

I am considering getting back into a habit of setting a custom WB in-camera so the colour's right for any movies I might record, but I haven't gone down that path yet. Since I moved from JPEG to RAW full-time back in 2003, I've got lazy with the in-camera WB.
DaveB

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:18 am

DaveB wrote:
gstark wrote:And what wb settings were in place? Given that the predominant lighting appears to be flouros, you seem to be well in control of the new body already.

I usually leave the cameras on Auto WB, include reference shots of a WhiBal, and tweak the WB in Lightroom.
However, this photo has not been tweaked (ok, I was excited to post a shot from the new camera :roll:).
It's using the white balance selected by the camera!

OK, cool.

While I have no way of telling how close the wb is to reality, it certainly looks to be acceptable (but then again, it's also early on a Sunday morning) and thus this is a very impressive, and a very satisfactory, result.

Thanx for the extra info. It's handy to know.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to First Image