New D60, first DSLR

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

New D60, first DSLR

Postby Manaen on Sat May 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Well I decided to replace my point-and-shoot compact with a DSLR, after shopping around I decided on the Nikon D60 VR Twin Lens Kit. I haven't really ventured off Auto at the moment, but here are a few quick shots I took at my neices birthday party today.

Happy for people to give comments & tips.

Nikon D60 | Nikon DX 18-55 VR | Nikon DX 55-200 VR
Manaen

Re: New D60, first DSLR

Postby Pa on Sun May 31, 2009 5:54 am

Hi Manaen and a nice first post....Kids are great photography subjects, They show there true emotion....

Put it in aperture priority and set the aperture some where between f5.6 to f8...Are you happy with your choice of camera...
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby gstark on Sun May 31, 2009 8:36 am

So, it's your niece's birthday, but you got the presents? :)

Nice images. I especially like the way the light has been captured in the third, where the camera seems to have picked up the glow from the candles illuminating your niece's face. What you have to learn is how to do that. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manaen on Sun May 31, 2009 9:24 am

So far I am happy with the camera, I probably should have saved up a bit more and bought the D90 but I think the D60 will be good to learn the fundamentals.

My next purchase will probably be a 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4) prime lens.

It's a steep learning curve with a DSLR, lucky I am not in a rush! I have my second child due in 5 months so hopefully I would have improved by then.
Manaen

Postby Pa on Sun May 31, 2009 9:35 am

Hi again I dont think the 50 1.8 will autofocus on the d60.... you will need to buy afs lens
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby gstark on Sun May 31, 2009 9:52 am

[quote="Manaen"I think the D60 will be good to learn the fundamentals.[/quote]

There are few that are better: the UI on the D60 is a brilliant leaning tool for you.

My next purchase will probably be a 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4) prime lens.

I'd strongly suggest the Nikkor 35mm DX. It's made especially for the D60, light, and inexpensive.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manaen on Sun May 31, 2009 10:48 pm

So what is the main difference between a 35mm, 50mm & 85mm prime lens? (apart from the cost)
Manaen

Postby gstark on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:29 am

Manaen wrote:So what is the main difference between a 35mm, 50mm & 85mm prime lens? (apart from the cost)

There's a number of differences, all related, and they each can have a distinctive affect upon your photographic work. Please don't think that this is an either/or proposition either: each of these lenses can and probably should have a place in your kit.

Let's start by going back to describing everything in terms of full frame photography, because that's how this is measured.

The 50mm presents an angle of view to your camera's sensor that is very close to what we see with our eyes.

The 35mm lens is what is called a wide angle lens, and thus it presents a wider field of view. This means that it can fit more (of what you may be seeing) into what your sensor can capture. As such, those picture elements will appear to be reduced in size and further away.

The 85mm lens is what's called a telephoto lens, and it presents a narrower field of view to the sensor. In contrast with a wide angle lens, it will fit less into what your camera's sensor can capture, and consequently, those picture elements will appear to be increased in size and closer to you.

Telephoto lenses permit you to take close-up photos of subjects that may be some distance away - say of a bird in a tree, or perhaps bring your view of an event such as a sporting game closer to the action than otherwise possible given where you might be physically located.

Wide angle lenses permit you have a greater overall view of .... something. They're great for landscapes where you want to fit the whole expanse of water or a distant mountain range into your image.

Ok, I think that's the basics.

Your D60 is what we call a crop format camera: its sensor is smaller than what you will find on a full frame camera, and thus any image that you make will already appear to be cropped, relative to that same image made on a FF body. The crop factor is 1.5 and the primary effect of this is that this is narrowing your field of view. Effectively, this gives your camera a perceived advantage when shooting in a telephoto mode, because it's as though your lens's focal length has been increased by 1.5. Thus your 50mm seems to be like a 75mm, and your 35mm seems to be like a 52mm.

Which means that, on a DX body, the 35mm presents an angle of view closely aligned to the way that a 50mm presents on a full frame camera.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manaen on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Wow .. I have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the valuable advise Gary.

I will keep an eye out for a 35mm :)
Manaen

Postby chrisk on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:10 pm

ECS have them for $345 at the moment. thats the cheapest i've seen it anywhere and given the demand and exchange rate issues, i'd snap it up while they're still that cheap.
http://cameras.net.au/
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Manaen on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:41 pm

gstark:

Yeah I was lucky with the third shot .. I set it to no flash and the rest on auto. According to the photo properties the camera was set at f4.5, 1/30 sec exposure & ISO-720.

Another photo of the day I really like is this one. While not the best shot for some reason I like it:

Manaen

Postby eric_r on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Hey mate nice purchase and i know what you mean about the learning curve after i also came straight from a point and shoot!

I like the last photo also, the blue of her eyes and the sky is gorgeous
Sony a300 - 18mm-70mm f/3.5-5.6, 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 & tripod

Olympus OM10 - Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm Macro (1:2.8) f/2.8, Zuiko 100mm-200mm f/4 & T20 Flash

Dont ask to edit, just do it!
eric_r

Return to First Image