First decent shots with my "new" camera

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

First decent shots with my "new" camera

Postby DaveB on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:09 am

I got my G1 back last week (it's been away having the internals modified) and have just now been able to start using it as I've wanted for a while (as either a visible-light or an IR camera depending on what filters I put on the end of the lens). I've mounted an RRS MC-L L-plate to it (which required a slight modification to the MC-L with a file) so it now either goes onto one of my tripods, or onto the BlackRapid strap I got recently (which has one of my old Kirk clamps on it). I've been carrying it around with me to encourage me to actually take photos with it. ;)

On my way to college this afternoon I took this shot (actually a quick CS5 HDR merge of 6 shots) with a 720nm IR-pass filter:
G1, ISO 100, 14-45mm @ 14mm, f/7.1, 720nm filter

Shooting into the afternoon sun there's a bit of "hot-spot" flare in the frame of this shot. but it's not terrible.

Then on my way home in the evening I took this shot with a B+W 486 IR-block filter.
G1, ISO 100, 14-45mm @ 45mm, 5s, f/11, B+W 486 filter

I'm not sure about a few things such as the flare coming off the lights in the top right, but it's not a bad start. Also the colour of the city lights has gone a bit funny as I've been playing with a custom DNG profile to cope with the yellow sodium lights on the freeway.

No, I'm not giving up my EOS DSLRs for most visible-light work! This is to be an IR camera that happens to also be able to take visible-light photos...
DaveB

Re: First decent shots with my "new" camera

Postby surenj on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey Dave,

The first one doesn't look like an obvious IR unless you look carefully at the trees.

Do you have interchangable filters for the sensor? :shock: How do you do color and IR with the same camera?
surenj

Re: First decent shots with my "new" camera

Postby DaveB on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:21 pm

surenj wrote:The first one doesn't look like an obvious IR unless you look carefully at the trees.

Yah - not the best time of day for it. Hopefully I'll have some more soon.

Do you have interchangable filters for the sensor? :shock: How do you do color and IR with the same camera?

The camera's internal IR-blocking filter has been removed, and replaced with clear quartz. I can put various filters on the end of the lenses (and with μ4/3 I have adaptors for almost all my lenses). On an SLR this doesn't work because the viewfinder, meter, and AF systems still need to see visible light. On an EVIL camera like the G1, all of those functions work off the image being captured by the sensor, so it's easy!

I don't suppose anyone here will have the answer, but if anyone knows of a source for a 695nm IR filter in a 52mm screw mount please let me know!
DaveB

Return to First Image