70-200VR+TC20EIII

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

70-200VR+TC20EIII

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:00 pm

I think is is a combination I am going to like.
I was about 10m away & while he knew I was there, I am sure he had no idea I was taking his photo.

SOOC except for a little lightening of the shadows under the hat.

I have had the teleconverter for a few weeks now, but the lens arrived today, so until now, it has been a paperweight. Not any more. :D :D
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Re: 70-200VR+TC20EIII

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Nice combo! I actually wanted the 20EIII for the trip to antarctica, but I couldn't find a 2nd hand one, so went for a 2nd hand 1.7 instead. How do you find the speed of focusing ?
Alpha_7

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:19 pm

Brilliant. It just snapped into focus. Mind you, these were bright conditions.

And yes, that's exactly why I got mine too. It should give me time to get used to it before my trip next year.
Mind you I have already decided to pack a monopod as well :roll:
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:20 pm

You'd have been lucky to find a second hand one since they've been out for less than a year and seem to be still in fairly short supply. Greg will no doubt answer for the 70-200mm; for the 300mm f2.8, focusing is fast and accurate. Your trip must be getting close.
Murray Foote

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:24 pm

I upgraded my monopod to a Gitzo GM3551 for the trip. I figure that with an L-Bracket, I won't need a head for the monopod, just a clamp screwed onto the top.
Murray Foote

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Murray Foote wrote: I figure that with an L-Bracket, I won't need a head for the monopod, just a clamp screwed onto the top.

I find there is no need for a full motion head with the LPlate, but the Manfrotto 234 swivel head allows for adjusting the horizon easily. I recently changed the screw clamp on it to a lever clamp (RRS of course), but I wouldn't be without it.

I know ATJ, who just has a base plate, reckons you need a ball head on a monopod, so the LPlate it does help to alleviate the freedom of motion issues to a certain extent.

Mind you, if you are looking for a clamp for your monopod, I have a really nice screw clamp looking for a new home.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby aim54x on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Glad to hear that your lens has arrived! This should be a combination that you will enjoy immensely!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Murray Foote on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:18 am

Mr Darcy wrote:
Murray Foote wrote: I figure that with an L-Bracket, I won't need a head for the monopod, just a clamp screwed onto the top.

I find there is no need for a full motion head with the LPlate, but the Manfrotto 234 swivel head allows for adjusting the horizon easily. I recently changed the screw clamp on it to a lever clamp (RRS of course), but I wouldn't be without it.

I know ATJ, who just has a base plate, reckons you need a ball head on a monopod, so the LPlate it does help to alleviate the freedom of motion issues to a certain extent.

Mind you, if you are looking for a clamp for your monopod, I have a really nice screw clamp looking for a new home.

I've used a variation of that Manfrotto head for some years and just sold it at a low price. The reason I got rid of it was that it isn't rated for the weight of a D3 + 300mm f2.8. I don't think I need a substitute but I'll find out when I finally get the replacement L-Bracket (they are currently out of stock).

Where I might use a ballhead on a monopod would be if I get a Wimberly Sidekick for the 300mm. I think that's likely because it's the only way I'm likely to get to test one out and maybe then I'll take it to Antarctica. If so, I'm assuming I'll switch the ballhead I've got between the tripod and the monopod

I'm also waiting till I get the L-Bracket until I decide what combination of clamps and rails I want to have. Currently I have two lever clamps and two screw clamps and I may not require any more.
Murray Foote

Return to First Image