D800

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

D800

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Well I am having a few teething problems. Mainly due to #@$^ Adobe.
I can take the photos, but I cannot do anything with them.
LR4 Beta says it cannot read them. As does LR3 and PS5.1
Adobe's Website says that they CAN be read by LR4, but they won't let me buy that product. I'm beginning to think they think I am a terrorist and plan on doing my planning with this camera. They must be thinking of Gerry. He's the one who hangs around airports with a DSLR. :roll:

So I fell back on an olde copy of NX2 that I no longer use. It will read them, but treats them as JPEGs in that it won't allow me to adjust WB or Exposure. My vague memory is that these should both be OK for NEFs Either I am doing something wrong (likely!) or even Nikon don't have full support for these NEFs yet.

Anyway here are two photos I took on my first outing with the D800. Both are shot with WB=Cloudy which is what I use as a default, figuring I can adjust later if needs be. OK for the second, but the first was indoors, so probably not appropriate WB.

One of my daughters being typically uncooperative. The first couple of shots she kept moving her head so they were irretrievably blurred

View from the restaurant where we were eating. The day was not great, but hey at least the WB was appropriate here.

I will save proper pixel peeper shots for when I get the editing software sorted.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Re: D800

Postby Wink on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Greg, install this into PS and see if it helps... http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/
The D800 is on the list of supported cameras.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby radar on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Greg,

NX2 v2.3.1 will read D800/D4 NEF files.

Also, ViewNX 2 v2.3.0 will read the files as well. You can do minor edits, e.g. WB adjustments, highlights, etc, and then pass the file to PS which you can set as the external editor. I know this is not an optimum solution but it may get you out of trouble till you sort out LR4/PS issues.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby aim54x on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:21 pm

I would recommend running the updater on CNX2...that will give you something to use until Adobe gets its act together...dont worry we discovered the 5D Mk III has the same issue
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby radar on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Note that if you run the updater on NX2, you will possibly need to re-enter your serial number and if NX2 was an upgrade, you may even need the NX serial number, like I have. However, YMMV.

André
Last edited by radar on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Sylvia on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:12 pm

NX2 and Aperture work fine.
Nikons.
Nikkor's.
Sylvia

Postby Remorhaz on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:41 pm

You could just run LR4 in trial mode till you sort out your licence issues - or alternatively just give the D800 to me (my LR4 is working) - it's a sacrifice I know... but one I'm willing to make for you :)
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:09 pm

OK I have bitten the bullet and am now running a trial version of LR4. So I have 30 days until the NoCanBuy issue must be resolved.

Here is a crop from the centre of #1 above. It is approx 100%. What I did was zoom in to 1:1 checked what was in frame, then cropped to about the same area. Then resized and exported, so it won't be exact. Still it will give you pixel peepers something to look at.

D800 Crop by gregdarcy, on Flickr
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:44 pm

CS6 Beta will presumably support it also (with ACR 7 if that makes any difference).

Martin (Bailey, whom Greg and I met on the Antarctic trip and who runs Hokkaido trips) says that auto WB is a no-no but I haven't found this to be the case. It may be true for Canon and I think it used to be true for Nikon but for the D3 and D3s it is pretty good. The D3 goes somewhat cyan in very low light but the D3s seems to me pretty accurate with Auto WB in all conditions. You may find the D800 is the same.

It is good to have a camera that challenges you. In some respects, you may find out how good your technique really is.
Murray Foote

Postby ATJ on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:36 am

Mr Darcy wrote:Here is a crop from the centre of #1 above. It is approx 100%. What I did was zoom in to 1:1 checked what was in frame, then cropped to about the same area. Then resized and exported, so it won't be exact. Still it will give you pixel peepers something to look at.

If I understand you correctly, if it wasn't correct, it is going to a very poor substitute. You were to resize something 4000x3000px to 400x300px accuracy wouldn't matter, but of you went from 404x303px to 400x300px it won't even nearly approximate a 100% crop because it is going to average every pixel.
ATJ

Return to First Image