First image, first roll

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

First image, first roll

Postby PiroStitch on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:02 am

I've taken a big leap back into film and I managed to acquire a Blad 503CW over the weekend. I went through a roll of Ilford XP2 Super 400 in a day and sent it back to be processed and scanned. Here's the first image from the roll and it's definitely one of many to come.

Last edited by PiroStitch on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Re: First image, first roll

Postby Matt. K on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:04 am

Blad, Best of the best.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:21 am

Lovely tones and very jealous of the 'Blad. The exposure latitude you have there is amazing.

Is there a slight tilt to the right? :biglaugh:
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby biggerry on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:42 pm

PiroStitch wrote:Blad 503CW over the weekend.

sounds like a bad trip

PiroStitch wrote:Ilford XP2 Super 400

sounds like a ciggy brand ;)

looks like fun though :) did i mention i got no idea about film :roll:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby PiroStitch on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Patrick - Yes there is a slight tilt to the right, though I haven't mastered the perfect slightness yet. I need to go back to learn from the master about this (Matt)er ;)

Gerry - Yup, will be a bigger bad trip if I start getting chemicals to self develop the film :)
PiroStitch

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 pm

PiroStitch wrote:Gerry - Yup, will be a bigger bad trip if I start getting chemicals to self develop the film :)

Wayne, there is a lot of enjoyment out of developing your own film. I now have three tanks, 7 reels and some Rodinal and [possibly expired] D76 developer, plus, as of Sunday, the gear to take it to the next level. :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:30 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:
PiroStitch wrote:Gerry - Yup, will be a bigger bad trip if I start getting chemicals to self develop the film :)

Wayne, there is a lot of enjoyment out of developing your own film. I now have three tanks, 7 reels and some Rodinal and [possibly expired] D76 developer, plus, as of Sunday, the gear to take it to the next level. :D

Not to mention the thrill of standing there, and seeing a piece of blank paper turn into your image. It's magic, and it always thrills.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Remorhaz on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm

What is this film thing you speak of :P
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby phillipb on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:47 pm

gstark wrote:
Not to mention the thrill of standing there, and seeing a piece of blank paper turn into your image. It's magic, and it always thrills.

Yep, I can still remember my very first attempt at printing. It was what you may call black on black :oops:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby surenj on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:25 am

gstark wrote:Not to mention the thrill of standing there, and seeing a piece of blank paper turn into your image. It's magic, and it always thrills.

It is a guilty pleasure indeed. I reckon those chemicals shorten your life considerably...
surenj

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:47 am

surenj wrote:
gstark wrote:Not to mention the thrill of standing there, and seeing a piece of blank paper turn into your image. It's magic, and it always thrills.

It is a guilty pleasure indeed. I reckon those chemicals shorten your life considerably...

Reall? I have read that professional printers have no shorter life expectancy than the general populace.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby surenj on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:53 am

Reschsmooth wrote:Reall? I have read that professional printers have no shorter life expectancy than the general populace.

It would seem true. Ilford wholeheartedly agrees with you.
http://www.ilford.com/environmental/en/chemEnv.asp
surenj

Postby PiroStitch on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:02 am

The smell of the chemicals used for developing photos is probably far less riskier than the air people breathe in some cities ;)
PiroStitch

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:28 am

PiroStitch wrote:The smell of the chemicals used for developing photos is probably far less riskier than the air people breathe in some cities ;)

I love the smell of fixer in the morning :biglaugh:
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby surenj on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

A cheep way to get a little thrill is to switch off image preview (or flip your LCD) when you shoot. Then look at the pictures at home. :wink:
surenj

Return to First Image