D70 fellows, just found an interesting thread about CF card

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

D70 fellows, just found an interesting thread about CF card

Postby birddog114 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:34 am

Good to check and make sure your CF card is right prior to insert.
Hey, it's again Sandisk Ultra II :shock:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=11085693
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:08 am

Wow, that's scary. You would think that even the most basic quality control would have spotted that. Not good.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:16 am

That's QC job, but who's the qualified QC?
Birddog114
birddog114

bad cf card

Postby atencati on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:31 am

if he truly did buy a ScanDisk (not SanDisk) card as written he is probably screwed. It sounds like a knockoff. Maybe he can go to the store where he bought it, if the are reputable.

hmmmmmmmmmm

-A
D70, 70-200VR, 18-70, 50 1.8, SB800
Blackberry PIN: 2029497E
atencati

Postby birddog114 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:40 am

Hey, it's Sandisk, perhaps his typo, and not only one problems from him, it seems to me that other had this problem also.
Last edited by birddog114 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:58 am

There is a problem on all forums with the written word - I would assume that he did mean Sandisk but he might not be letting on that he inserted the card the wrong way round and tried to force it in. This would most certainly not be good for the contacts.

Cheers

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:26 am

Chris,

If he did that, he'd be getting more damage to the camera and/or CF card before he even inserted the card far enough to cause damage to the contacts.

There are guideways along the card edges that help prevent incorrectly oriented insertion, and he'd be impacting those in the first instance.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:38 am

Chris,
What I read on that thread, he insert in the right direction same as others but the CF male sockets damaged the row of pin of his D70, if you insert the card in with the wrong direction then:
1/ hard to push it in.
2/ Once it's in by force, you can't get the CF card out and had to use the plier with the point to pull the CF out with force.
3/ some CF cards might have the slider not well correctly allignment, therefore when you insert it the row of holes did not get in straight and bent the pin. Same as insert the CPU into the socket of the maninboard.
4/ I have a customer (Govt. Dept) rang me last week about their camera did not register any available space on the CF, after 5 minutes, I found out they inserted the CF card wrong way and can't remove it, it's now in Maxwell workshop. Big bills to come :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Information