Eclipse Fluid from Nulab Australia

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Eclipse Fluid from Nulab Australia

Postby birddog114 on Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:11 am

Hi All,
I've just called NuLab in Melbourne and inquired about to purchase the Eclipse Fluid. Here's their answer:
- 1 bottle of 59ml is AU$25.00 + $25.00 for AAE (Australian Air Express) up to 3 Kgs. So one bottle of Eclipse Fluid cost $50.00 to your door!!!!!
I also inquired about quantity buying hopefully I can get some discount and pass it to our member, say 10 bottle of Eclipse Fluid (59ml). They don't want to offer any discount with bulk buy. The girl answered the phone said: They do not have any policies for discounting Swab, Pec*Pad and Eclipse Fluid.
Has anyone bought these from them? and is this the correct quote/ price that you paid. $25.00 for freight (AAE) even for one small item?
Want to hear your comment.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Glen on Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:18 am

Hi Birddog, how about this for a thought. We buy ten anyway (or twenty) as 10x59ml = .59kg so at least we save on postage. I thought that from Nulab website they don't seem to have a friendly "lets do business" attitude, more like "we only do business on our terms".

After the first batch, my brother lives in New York, there must be some way to get the stuff here by boat, maybe surface mail, etc and we then bring in a decent load at a real price. Or better still lets ring Eclipse bring in a $1000 of the stuff wholesale and sell it through a website. I don't mind people profiting, but profiting and being difficult to deal with is annoying
Glen

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:44 am

Glen,

Glen wrote:Hi Birddog, how about this for a thought. We buy ten anyway (or twenty) as 10x59ml = .59kg so at least we save on postage. I thought that from Nulab website they don't seem to have a friendly "lets do business" attitude, more like "we only do business on our terms".

I think I'd be averse to buying that much product from NuLab, purely based upon their attitude, but read on ...

After the first batch, my brother lives in New York, there must be some way to get the stuff here by boat, maybe surface mail, etc and we then bring in a decent load at a real price. Or better still lets ring Eclipse bring in a $1000 of the stuff wholesale and sell it through a website. I don't mind people profiting, but profiting and being difficult to deal with is annoying

We've already explored some aspects of this. The manufacturers of Eclipse won't sell directly to us - "call NuLab" was their response - and most of the web sellers in the US won't ship this product, because of its flamibility.

Both Birddog and I have contacts in the US who can arrange shipping - if need be - but the reality of the situation seems to be that, for a US based purchase of the cleaning fluid (and particularly in any quantities) a personal purchase, at a bricks and mortar store, will be needed in the first instance.

Once that purchase has been made, ground shipment to Oz, via USPS, would be the way to go. None of the US couriers (FedEx, UPS, Air Express etc provide international ground shipment, and so that leaves USPS only, AFAICT.

But what we think we can do (at least initially) is this - arrange through our own contacts a local (Melbourne) purchase of the cleaning fluid for whatever quantity, and arrange for a local (Melbourne) courier pickup, for delivery to a Melbourne address. This would cost just a few dollars.

We then arrange for our own shipment of the total purchase from our Melbourne contact to Sydney, we split the total cost of the shipment between x bottles and add that to the NuLabs cost of $25, and we're done.

The question then becomes, how many bottles do we include in this initial shipment?

Please indicate your interest as a response to this thread. You'd also probably need to be able to collect the bottle personally, either at one of our future meetings (there will certainly be more) or from Birddog in Belmore or myself.

As a rough guide, the per-bottle cost will probably pan out to between $26 - $30.

So, I'm #1.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:23 pm

I'm in
Glen

Postby Onyx on Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:35 pm

I'd be willing to buy thru brick and mortar at the US retail level. If shipping via surface is feasible as indicated by Gary's prev post, I could also do that shipped to Gary, and then you can distribute via this forum or the gatherings, etc.
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:49 pm

Onyx,
Great guy!!!
Can you find down with the local USPS about shipping the Eclipse Fluid by SEA with insurance.
I'm happy to support the forum by transfer fund to your CC and you help us by buy + ship Eclipse Fluid to us, and we will distribute them to our members.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:58 pm

Gary,
Perhaps post or send the PDF file of MSDS from Photosol to Onyx, so he has an idea to talk to the local USPS about shipping Eclispe Fluid by ground/ sea.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:08 pm

Onyx,

The cheapest price you can buy Eclipe fluid in the US is:

- 6 bottle of Eclipse Fluid (2oz/ 59ml) cost US$51.11 = US$8.70/ bottle/ Free shipping to your address in US by UPS Ground.

http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/eclipse.html
Last edited by birddog114 on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:08 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Gary,
Perhaps post or send the PDF file of MSDS from Photosol to Onyx, so he has an idea to talk to the local USPS about shipping Eclispe Fluid by ground/ sea.

Good idea. I'll do that later, but off-forum.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raydar on Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:20 pm

I'm in :wink:

I can send the money to you Gary & just stick it in a box & post it.
I will pay the post.

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby JordanP on Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:43 am

Hi all,

Sorry, only just caught up with this discussion.

I've got a pretty good relationship with Nulab if I can help. I've been dealing with then for the last 10 years.
Craig
JordanP

Postby birddog114 on Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:59 am

Jordan,
Many thanks for your post.
Gary & myself has been talking with NuLab in the past but it seems to us, we had no luck. The only alternative way is sourcing Sensor Swab + Pec*Pad from overseas suppliers + buy Eclipse Fluid from NuLab.
The initial order of Sensor Swab + Pec*Pad will land in my store by Thursday next week and the Eclipse Fluid will be picked up by my courier on Monday afternoon from NuLab. Hope this is just the initial and temp. solution for providing service and demand from our members.
We have to do this way for the time being until my next trip to the US in early Nov. then we perhaps will find other solution, hopefully will provide more competitive pricing to our members in this community for all the cleaning stuff that we may need.
Jordan, it's worth a try if you can talk to them as friendly as they treated you as their ex-customer.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Flyer on Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:25 am

I'm in too :)
Flyer

Postby Glen on Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:49 pm

Just wondering if we have any timeline on this? After my previous post about no dust spots, after being let loose on all Birddog's great lenses, I now have Sans Souci dust on my sensor. There had to be some small price to pay for playing with those great lenses
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:45 am

Glen wrote:Just wondering if we have any timeline on this? After my previous post about no dust spots, after being let loose on all Birddog's great lenses, I now have Sans Souci dust on my sensor. There had to be some small price to pay for playing with those great lenses

Well, as I mentioned in earlier post, once you have to swap lens during the event, assignment or just on a shooting trip, you'll encounter dust "get into your eyes", especially with windy, heat, humidity. That why few people have two bodies (cam) and minimize the swapping lens task. But that's the game of DSLR we have to live with it all and starting to experiment yourself the fun job to clean the mess after game. BTW, you already got the Sensor Swab + Pec*Pad. The Eclipse Fluid will arrive in my store tomorrow (10 bottles of 59ml), you can help yourself anytime after tomorrow. My address is on my biz card that I gave to you last Saturday.
Have fun!!!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:50 am

Actually, you can get dust on the sensor even if you don't change lenses.

Lenses are not sealed mechanisms, and the mere compression and expansion cycles of zooming and, to a lesser extent, focussing, can bring dust from the outside in.
Last edited by gstark on Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:29 pm

Birddog,
Thanks I will give you a call and probably drop in tomorrow if that is ok?

Gary
Thanks for your comments, I didn't realise that. You make me feel better about playing the kid in the candy store with Birddog's lenses :D Though I am sure this time it was too much lens swapping. My camera has never had such stylish partners :D
Glen

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:48 pm

Glen,

In looking at my images from last Saturday, my sensor is in dire need of a cleaning. Have a look at the image of the dumbo in the air; there's some dust bunnies near the plane's tail.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:52 pm

Glen wrote:Birddog,
Thanks I will give you a call and probably drop in tomorrow if that is ok?
:D

Glen,
No problem! give me a call on my mobile around noon>
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:27 pm

Thanks Birddog

ps Gary, on the photo posted here I couldn't see your dust bunnies :D
Mine are about the size of the tyres!
Glen

Pec-pads & Eclipse

Postby Matt. K on Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:51 pm

I would be interested in purchasing these from a Sydney supplier. Count me in for any group deal
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:30 pm

Glen wrote:ps Gary, on the photo posted here I couldn't see your dust bunnies :D
Mine are about the size of the tyres!

Glen,

In the one where the jet is rotating, look straight above the tail, just above the trees on the horizon. You'll see two taller ones, a bit of a gap, and then another taller one. Within that space you'll see a dust bunny.

Now, in the next image, take the point where the fuselage and tail meet. go up at an angle of 45 towards the right, and just a little bit above the top of the tail. You'll see the same little bunny!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Information