Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:05 am

Hi as a newbie, I am not sure of the rules on Avatars. Can you enlighten me.
From reading variopus posts, the approved image size is 100x150 & Max 6Kb. They also need to be uploaded, rather than referenced.

I ask as the avatar I would like to use is not my photo, but a copy of a publicity shot for Pride & Prejudice & as this is a photography forum, this may be outside the rules.

The reason I would like to use it is that it matches my Nom-De-Net well (Though not the reason for the name)

Mr Darcy
Mr Darcy

Postby the foto fanatic on Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:16 am

If you look in our FAQ area, you will find the following relating to images that are not your own:

Can I use somebody's image from here in another context?
The protection of an individual's intellectual property, as held in a photograph, is an important issue that we strongly support here. Please help us, and respect this important concept.

If you see an image here that you like, and you wish to use it within any other context, you need to contact the person who created that image and seek their permission to do so.

Any other action is probably illegal, and is not permitted.

This can be extrapolated to posting images here. If they are not yours, please don't do it.

So, unless the image which you are considering using is yours, it would be better not to use it.

I hope this helps, and thanks for asking the question.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Return to Information