Off topic - advice re cable broadband wireless router

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Off topic - advice re cable broadband wireless router

Postby Geoff on Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:49 pm

Hi All,
I will be in the market (in the next 6 weeks or so) for a wireless router (for cable modem connection). I have not much clue on this kinda thing, I know that I should go for 802.11g but what's the preferred brand these days, Belkin, Netgear, Linksys? Would appreciate if anyone could suggest a few +/- model no.s...thanx in advance,

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:00 pm

Hi Geoff

I am using the Netgear WGR614 (54Mbps) with a Telstra Cable modem going to my Mac with airport express - works without any problems

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Mj on Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:35 pm

Geoff... Netgear, Dllink or Linksys would all do fine... would probably pass on Belkin as they usually target the bottom end of the market, though they might have a suitable product.
I use a Netgear FM114P which is an older model only with 802.11b but for internet access, which is it's primary function, is faster than the cable link.
Main features to look for are decent firewall capabilities (NAT and SPI at least) and I find the models with print servers incorporated handy for home setups, unless all your printers happen to be network enabled.
Oh... and another thing to look for is ones with upgradable aerials incase you're not getting the range you need. The FM114P has all of the above minus the 'g' signal and uses a parallel port for the print server but no USB port for a USB printer. The model that replaces it has 'g' and USB printing, but no parallel port.

Michael.
Mj

Postby birddog114 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:30 am

Geoff,
If you're after a ADSL modem for your PC only, there is some provider may supply you free with the connection, though I know you don't have any wireless PC or notebook atm.

If you have a notebook with wireless capability than the wireless router is for your consideration.

You're living in an Apt., there's a risk for you to let someone around to have free internet connection thru your wireless router so pick the top devices with top security as firewall, encryption etc....
Last edited by birddog114 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:02 am

Geoff,

DLink, NetComm both ok.

I've just installed an AirLink+ at Lindy's, and I have a Buffalo as a part of my travel kit.

All 802.11g.

Prices here for this gear are stiill way more expensive than they should be.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MHD on Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:25 am

I use the Linksys WRT54G...

This is just a wireless router, you still need a modem...

Awesome peice of gear... fully upgradeable. People have even installed full linux distros on it...
There are a heap of 3rd part firmware's out there for it to do things like boost the power etc...

Wireless rocks...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby kfandst on Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:49 am

Geoff, I use the Billion 7500G Wireless ADSL Router. Have been using it for almost a year with out any problems and comes with the majority of security features. The initial issues were resolved with the modem with firmware fixes. I think it is now good to buy this modem.

If you do not have wireless at home yet, it doesn't matter. You can still connect via a network cable if your notebook/pc has a network interface.

Maybe a visit to http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=82 would help? Do a search at the forum for the various models suggested by D70 users.

Agree with Birddog about those ISPs providing some ADLS modems for free but try to avoid those USB ones as they can be a challenge to configure.

Good luck.
To buy or not to buy, that's the question.
kfandst

Postby ajax on Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:50 am

Hi Geofff,

Assuming that you have a modem, the router I would go for is Linksys. So far I have done 3 installations at my mates' houses. Up and running in 5 minutes out of the box. Other brands are about the same I suppose, though I have no experience with them. Also depending on whether you use it for Optus/telstra adsl or cable, it has everything buil in into the firmware (Oz version).

HTH

cheers,
ajax
Hope is immortal...
ajax

Postby DiZZ on Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:12 pm

First post here, suprise suprise its technical :roll:

If you're with Telstra, you can upgrade to a wireless cable modem for $249 (self install). You get a Motorola SBG900 modem which features a cable modem, wireless AP and firewall. It also has one USB and one ethernet port for wired computers. The only thing its missing is a print server, which could be a problem. See here for more info.

I'm using a Minitar MN54G4R, which is stable and reliable. No problems except for the occasional internet dropout (usually Telstras fault)
DiZZ

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:50 pm

Dizz,

Welcome.

DiZZ wrote:If you're with Telstra, you can upgrade

There is only one way that you can upgrade if you're with Telstra, and that's by churning to another provider. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:51 pm

No Helstra in my book :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby DiZZ on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:18 pm

I know theres been some absolute horror stories with Telstra, but my experience with them hasnt been that bad.
Well, at least recently. There was once a time when I was very unhappy with their services especially for the price, not so anymore.
DiZZ

Postby meicw on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:42 pm

This has not got anything to do with Routers as such. But as someone mentioned Telstra as an ISP...... I am with Netspace at the moment. Now I havent any gripes about them at all, excellent service. Its just that with TPG I can get upgrade from 512 to 1024 with unlimited d/loads, and pay $10 less a month . Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with TPG as an ASDL provider?

Regards
Meic
meicw

Postby birddog114 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:56 pm

meicw wrote:This has not got anything to do with Routers as such. But as someone mentioned Telstra as an ISP...... I am with Netspace at the moment. Now I havent any gripes about them at all, excellent service. Its just that with TPG I can get upgrade from 512 to 1024 with unlimited d/loads, and pay $10 less a month . Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with TPG as an ASDL provider?

Regards
Meic

I have two links and one with TPG, quite happy with them, no complaint so far.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby MattC on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:44 pm

No Helstra for me either. I connect through a local ISP that is based here in TC but has servers and majority of customers in Alice Springs. They are not without their share of problems, but the IT guy owns and runs the business. If there is a problem it is fixed promptly. Just last week his authentication server went down at about 5am, I made a quick phone call (first he had heard about it), and the thing was back up in about 10 minutes. He has had me cursing him at one time when he was sorting a new email server - fortunately that has been well sorted and no trouble in the last 6 months.

Next month we finally get a dsl enabled exchange - hoooray! I will be upgrading.

For routing/firewall duties I currently use a Linux box with 2 nics + serial modem. The second nic is for the wireless component of my internal network. Not really necessary - I could plug my barebones D-Link AP into a switch. I decided to run my wired network as "I trust you implicitely". My wireless network (with Radius server) as "I trust you but need to keep an eye on you". Internet is "I do not know you or trust you - bugger off!!" Once dsl is running I will be adding one one more interface to this box - the DMZ - for a small email server which does not sit in either my internal network or the internet.

A much simpler alternative is something like Smoothwall. It is free and only requires a Pentium class computer (optimally) which can be had for almost nothing. Plug the modem into the red interface, switch and/or AP into the green and all is good to go. First time setup takes a couple of hours (it currently takes me 15 min for a clean install) working through the manual.

The point here is that there are other more flexible options to the all-in-one. The cost of setting up may be a little pricier depending on what gear is used, but the upside is that there is the flexibility for expanding the capabilities of the network.

My only experience with those all-in-one router/AP/switch boxes has been entirely negative. Dell TrueMobile AP/Router... aargh, the name says it all!!!

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby louiek on Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:05 am

Birddog114 wrote:
meicw wrote:This has not got anything to do with Routers as such. But as someone mentioned Telstra as an ISP...... I am with Netspace at the moment. Now I havent any gripes about them at all, excellent service. Its just that with TPG I can get upgrade from 512 to 1024 with unlimited d/loads, and pay $10 less a month . Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with TPG as an ASDL provider?

Regards
Meic

I have two links and one with TPG, quite happy with them, no complaint so far.

I have just joined TPG. Switched from dialup to ADSL last week. Using the free D-link modem that they provided. It took minutes to setup, and after sorting out some issues with the phone filters, was connected, and have not had any problems. Compared to dialup, it is very fast.

louie
louiek

Postby Geoff on Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:41 am

Birddog114 wrote:Geoff,
If you're after a ADSL modem for your PC only, there is some provider may supply you free with the connection, though I know you don't have any wireless PC or notebook atm.

If you have a notebook with wireless capability than the wireless router is for your consideration.

You're living in an Apt., there's a risk for you to let someone around to have free internet connection thru your wireless router so pick the top devices with top security as firewall, encryption etc....

Thanx Birdy but on April 2 Bel and I are moving out of our MUCH loved abode and in with my parents for a year (yes yes, I know..it won't be easy)..but my dad has optus cable at his home so I will hop onto that wirelessly, I currently have a wireless thingamajig in my PC (I remember from when I bought it mid last year)...so it's just a router I think I need. Thanx for your advice :)
Geoff

Postby Geoff on Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:45 am

A big thank you to everyone too for their comments and suggestions, I will have a look on whirlpool in the next few days. Cheers ppls!

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:00 am

Geoff wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Geoff,

Thanx Birdy but on April 2 Bel and I are moving out of our MUCH loved abode and in with my parents for a year (yes yes, I know..it won't be easy)..but my dad has optus cable at his home so I will hop onto that wirelessly, I currently have a wireless thingamajig in my PC (I remember from when I bought it mid last year)...so it's just a router I think I need. Thanx for your advice :)

Hey Geoff,

Watch out! if your dad has the Optus cable internet connection, it means he already has a modem (like mine) then you have to look for the ROUTER only, the ROUTER with wirless capability and with 4 port switch.

Then your Dad's PC will connect to the internet with the CAT5 cable thru the switch and you can have the wireless portion, check your PC again, if it has the wireless built in, it should be the b version, and it's too slow due to other factors as inside the house, location of the router, etc... you'll gain about 3 or 4 mbps, not worth it.

If that the case then looking for a PCI Wireless card g version less than $100.00

Other thing is check to see what plan he's on now with Optus? I don't think he pay for a high rate ($70.00/ month) for unlimited download 12Gb capped and Optus will drop it down to 56K link if your use is excess 12Gb/m. He might pay lower rate with lower allowances of download and you may contribute your part in this plan to bring the existing plan up.
You can check it by go into Optus site and check his usage and his plan.

Whatever way you're going to do, have to look after your Old man mate!:lol: otherwise you & Bel will be kicked out :lol: :lol: cos you're mucking around, stuffed up his internet connection and he lost all his funs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby bochup on Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:01 am

I'm a newbie with DSLRs but can definitely make recommendations in the wireless router area :D

May I recommend the MSI RG54GS wireless 802.11g router.

This is a great router with a built in firewall to protect your home connections, NAT to share connections, a USB print server and also has four ethernet ports in case you want to use wires.

All you need to do is plug your modem into this router and it'll share the love wirelessly around your home.

Best thing is you can pick one up for $125 (MSY prices). If you don't need the print server then it's only $95 buckeroonies.

I have one of these at home and it's got great reach. Full signal throughout the house, upstairs, downstairs and through multiple walls.
bochup

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:04 am

Who do you use for your WiFi cards?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:35 am

bochup wrote:Best thing is you can pick one up for $125 (MSY prices). If you don't need the print server then it's only $95 buckeroonies

That sure beats the US$19 Airlink+ 802.11G router that I picked up ovver Chrissie and that's now sitting in Lindy's place, working NAT, firewall, and 4 port ethernet hub duties ...

Or maybe not. :)

In point of fact, there's plenty out there, and most of them seem to work fine; we're running DLink - have been for 5 years - + NetGear here; I now have a Buffalo unit as my travelling WLAN router (for conferences, demos, etc) and as I said, the super-cheap Airlink+ at Lindy's is working just fine.

Shop around; there's plenty of deals to be had.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bochup on Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:42 am

US$19 for a wireless router?! Is that brand new? if so...well I definitely can't beat that.

For wifi cards I use a Minitar USB wireless 802.11g cardbus. With the USB card you can move the WiFi card around computers easily and it works with PCs, Laptops, and should work on Macs.

USB wireless cardbus[/url]
bochup

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:59 am

US$19, brand new, no rebate, from one of the Fry's LA stores over the Chrissie break. 802.11g PCI and PCMCIA cards were all of US$13 each as well.

I'd need to check this week's prices, but they were probably even cheaper last weekend for St Hallmark's Day.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:02 pm

bochup wrote:US$19 for a wireless router?! Is that brand new? if so...well I definitely can't beat that.

For wifi cards I use a Minitar USB wireless 802.11g cardbus. With the USB card you can move the WiFi card around computers easily and it works with PCs, Laptops, and should work on Macs.

USB wireless cardbus[/url]

US$19.00 from Fry's! It's cheap isn't it? + a return airfare to LA.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:10 pm

Birddog114 wrote:US$19.00 from Fry's! It's cheap isn't it? + a return airfare to LA.

If you're there already, then yes, very cheep.

if you're not yet there ... UAL are currently selling tix for $900 + taxes R/T.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:49 pm

Well I finally got the wirless netgear WRG614 router with the USB WG111 adapter...got the network working wirlessly but now it seems to drop out (lose connection) every 5-10 mins (sometimes less). I'm sure it's just a setting I need to look at somewhere, however the signal strenght is always recording 'very good' with a connection speed at 54mps. I've spent most of the night out in the rain trying to find my parents dog (she's mine too) to no avail...she's run away with the the thunder storm which she's never done before, my parents ADORE her, I am REALLY hoping she's just hiding somwhere very sheltered and is ok and will turn up soon. It's been about 3 hours now. Anyway, sorry I digressed. Anyone think they know what could be causing these constant drop outs. THe way I have to 'fix it' at the moment is dis connect the USB wirless adapter and re connect - works every time for another 5-10 mins. Cheers all.

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby fozzie on Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:02 pm

Geoff,

I am sorry that I can not help with your technical problem.

As an animal person, I hope your parents find their/your dog safe and sound tonight.

All the very best,
Last edited by fozzie on Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby wile_E on Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:05 pm

Hi Geoff, I seem to be having a similar problem to what you're experiencing - only its my wired connection that seems to go down the drain (wireless is fine).

I seem to remember reading on the netgear website there are fixes available for the problem you are experiencing. Hopefully your connection works long enough to be able to check it out. Also, have you tried hooking up your laptop to the router via cables?

My layman's thoughts on the matter. HTH you!
wile_E

Postby Geoff on Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:13 pm

Thanx guys - we are constantly calling 'Jessie' but nothing - she has NEVER run away in her 7 year life, which has us a bit concerned. As far as the wirless router goes, I will have a look at the netgear site & see if I can fix this problem. Cheers!

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Geoff on Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Not a great photo but this is who is missing, so trying to find a black dog in the dark of night and heavy rain :(

Geoff

Postby fozzie on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:17 pm

Geoff,

I am still thinking about you and your family. Noticed in the picture the dog has a tag with hopefully your parents or Veterinary telephone number (s) on.

Also does the dog have a chip inplant for identification :?: .

All the very best of luck,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Geoff on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:23 pm

Yeah that collar has her name + my parents phone no.'s on it. She is also microchipped...thanx Fozzie.
Geoff

Great news!!

Postby Geoff on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:21 am

our little dog Jessie turned up this morning with a neighbour, she'd clambered into their garage and hid out there all night...quite ironic actually as the neighbours were onely 3 houses away. Poor dog must have heard us calling and calling her but not been able to get out. What a relief - my Mum was in tears of joy this morning :) Thanx ppl for your concern! I'm very happy! :)

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:23 am

Are you using Windows or the Netgear utilities on your PCs for the wireless configuration? Windows seems to have a tendancy to want to switch into a powersaving mode .... Microsoft trying - and failing - to be smart yet again.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:24 am

gstark wrote:Are you using Windows or the Netgear utilities on your PCs for the wireless configuration? Windows seems to have a tendancy to want to switch into a powersaving mode .... Microsoft trying - and failing - to be smart yet again.

Hi Gary - it's the netgear one, but at the same time MS seems to have some invovlement, can it be both of them?
Geoff

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:31 am

It shouldn't.

If you're using XP, go to your network properties and load up the Windows configuration applet. In the upper dropdown you'll see the name of the wireless card, and with that selected, press the configure button immediately below it.

On the next screen, one of the tabs will have a checkbox that sets the configuration for you - "let Windows manage the device" or something along those lines.

Make sure it's unchecked.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:33 am

Gary - I'll have to go up to Dad's place again today and check on this, so thank you, I will keep a close eye on this thread. He lives abou ta 15min drive away. :x
Geoff

Re: Great news!!

Postby fozzie on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:37 am

Geoff,

Geoff wrote:our little dog Jessie turned up this morning with a neighbour, she'd clambered into their garage and hid out there all night...quite ironic actually as the neighbours were onely 3 houses away. Poor dog must have heard us calling and calling her but not been able to get out. What a relief - my Mum was in tears of joy this morning :) Thanx ppl for your concern! I'm very happy! :)

Geoff.

Excellent news, and all parties :D .

Now to sort out your wireless netgear problem, but looks like Gary has some news on that. I am sure it will sort itself out.

Cheers,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Geoff on Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:08 pm

I'm beginning to think it's the wireless USB Adapter has a fault. If I unplug the adapter from the usb port (after I lose connection) and re insert it, then bingo I'm back online in seconds. The adapter also is getting VERY hot. Having not much experience with this kinda stuff, I'm wondering if anyone might agree with my theory? Cheers,

Geoff.
Geoff

Return to Information